General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I need a new vise

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2021, 12:27 PM
72 Olds CS

I need a new vise

Im looking for opinions options features brands that you may have on yours that you like and or use

background in 1991 i bought a 6” Olympia brand vice at the big box store it has a swivel base, replaceable jaws, anvil, and pipe clamp feature. ive been pretty happy w it until Yesterday i bent the part that slides and covers the screw portion. That part is essentially a c channel maybe a 1/4” thick.

im not afraid to use the vise as a press, or hammer on it w a hand held sledge, as well as slide a 3’ pipe over the handle to get some leverage, ive done this many times over the years, i think what happened yesterday was the part i was working on was offset in the jaws creating uneven loading which bent that part.

so i want something stronger, but around the same size
I see features like cast or forged, 30, 60 or 90k psi casting,
weights vary from ~30lbs to 90 lbs w only slight variences in size im not sure why

some vices have a round or a rectangle or trapazoid like shape to the sliding part which best?

anything else just add it here.
Old February 15th, 2021, 04:00 PM

Old ones were far superior. Just good American steel as a posed to cheap China crap. When I moved in to our home 18 years ago owner left his awesome big vice. I have seen nothing like it new.
Old February 15th, 2021, 04:19 PM

Older is better as is made in USA. Search craigslist or eBay for a used Wilton for serious use or an OLD Craftsman for heavy home use.

Good luck!!!
Old February 15th, 2021, 04:26 PM

Chinese metallurgy is not nearly the same as USA. You'll be money ahead to fix what you have or you can do as Sugar Bear suggests.
Old February 15th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'll be honest. I've had a Chinesium bench vise for 20 years now. No issues at all. I got mine at Costco (who apparently no longer carries anything like it), but it looks a lot like this Irwin one. I've beaten the crap out of mine. No complaints and I paid well under $90 for it.

Old February 15th, 2021, 04:46 PM

Oh, you said VISE. I misinterpreted and was thinking vice, and I had a lot of recommendations for that.

Oh well, nevermind.
Old February 15th, 2021, 06:46 PM

I think I have an old York, bought at an auction. Does not have the pipe feature.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:15 PM
72Cutlass S

Can’t go wrong with a Wilton.
Old February 15th, 2021, 07:35 PM

I prefer to buy older well cared for quality tools myself but I do think that the less expensive options can serve you very well too. It depends on the level of use and of course your budget. I would scan C/L and OfferUp locally to see what might be available depending on where you live. I locally purchased and refurbished this old Wilton 600 “bullet” about seven years ago.

Old February 15th, 2021, 07:47 PM

Funkwagon455...

What is the lift and duration on the roller cabinet handles? Did you notice any performance improvement after installation? Was it degreed?
Old February 15th, 2021, 08:01 PM

I ended up with a Yost 750-DI (
Amazon Amazon
). It's pretty decent, needed some work out of the box. Main thing was bushing and re-drilling the top center alignment hole for the rotating head to hold it in place better. I don't use that feature often, but I like it. Also cleaned up the main slide and a few bits. I really like that the base uses teeth to lock the rotation. I always had problems with the smooth bases slipping. Sure, you can't pick precisely the angle it locks in, but I like that it's solid.
It's not top shelf, but it cost a lot less than the big name stuff.

My buddy got the equivalent Harbor Freight version and it is vastly worse. Fit and finish was terrible, everything shook, easily 1/8" tolerances everywhere. I think sometimes you're lucky with those, and sometimes you're not.
Old February 15th, 2021, 08:21 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

To the order of 10 what Funkwagon said!

Plenty of estates or classified areas to obtain high-quality well cared for equipment the last generation is done caring for.
My friend is showing his 14-year-old son this path. Quite rewarding. From chain saws to vises. I want my stuff passed down.

Old USA-made iron is the best way to go AND you are not lining the offshore pockets....more important now than ever before IMO.
Additive benefit, it will keep us out of harborjunk.

Hands down find an old Wilton or Columbian.

Nice lab Mr. Funk.
Old February 16th, 2021, 03:06 AM

what is the lift and duration on the roller cabinet handles? Did you notice any performance improvement after installation? Was it degreed?[/QUOTE]

Old February 16th, 2021, 05:15 AM

Wiltons are nice but command a premium. Older Reed, Parker, Yost, Prentiss vises are often pennies compared to a Wilton and are beasts. I have a 1920’s era Reed that weighs 65 lb, it’s in great shape, cost me $150 with brand new copper soft jaw covers.

You have to decide if you want a swivel base or not, jaw width, and jaw depth, then go from there.

You definitely have to watch old vises for cracks, repairs, smooth operation, jaw alignment. I don’t like buying painted/restored ones unless the seller is reputable.
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Good advise above, but don't discount the older USA made Craftsman. Most likely made by one of the big names when America was great.

Last edited by pappy; February 16th, 2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old February 16th, 2021, 09:02 AM

I would agree that an older vise is probably better even if you have to do a little work to bring it back into shape. I have had the same Wilton vice for over 30 years and have completely abused it, works just as good today as it did when I bought it.
Old February 16th, 2021, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pappy
Good advise above, but don't discount the older USA made Craftsmen. Most likely made by one of the big names when America was great.
The really old Craftsman vises were Reeds and command a premium (they are often called "Reedsman" in the vise world). I think some of the newer ones were Columbian. Old Columbian was good, they got somewhat watered down over the years.
Old February 16th, 2021, 09:49 AM

Right, some of the part numbers cross over to well known and respected name brands. Craftsman commonly awarded contracts to the lowest bidder, but stood behind them. Remember, they were the Amazon of the day for many years. They could have easily still been as big.
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:16 PM
72 Olds CS

Thanks for all the replies.

Ken feel free to add your vice recommendations here too although Ive gotta warn my wife is pretty confident i have enough of my own

I am familiar w wilton there is one on CL similar to the one pictured $600 that may be out of my price range. I saw some of the other mentioned brands Reed, columbian, sears on there too for lesser amounts but those offerings were either to far away or the vise was whipped.
theres also several ~$200 wiltons (made in chna) on Amazon (pcs and reviews) that have been received w broken swivel lock screws or bent handles from 'shipping' at $200 that sounds like a POS.

There was a super sweet Athol (machine) vice on CL (i live near Athol mass AKA tool town) also home to starret tools, some quick research shows laroy starret worked for athol machine, had a dispute started starett tools and was so successful he bought athol machine (thats my kinda tale) anyways that athol one looks nice but $350.. it also appears to be a pre1921 unit as after 1921 the name changed to athol mfg co. Ill call it a maybe for now.

From amazon I saw some yost (similar to the linked one above) or similar to the irwin pictures above that i saved to my list (sub $300 is my current budget)(it started at $100) I liked the pipe jaws on one side and the clamp on the other I tend to push pull twist and yank things in my vice Im concerned the vice will turn when subjected to that . my workbench is bolted to the wall to keep it in place.

I seen some older vices have the screw above the slide instead of thru the slide any comments on that configuration ? it seems like you could make a stronger slide other than the incomplete circle or c channel types ?

Ill add some pics to go along w this post
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
From amazon I saw some yost (similar to the linked one above) or similar to the irwin pictures above that i saved to my list (sub $300 is my current budget)(it started at $100) I liked the pipe jaws on one side and the clamp on the other I tend to push pull twist and yank things in my vice Im concerned the vice will turn when subjected to that . my workbench is bolted to the wall to keep it in place.
Yup, look for the ones that have toothed/cogged engagement between the base and the body. My old vise just used friction on smooth faces and it slipped very often no matter how hard you cranked on the little toggles. This new one simply can't. That feature isn't always highlighted, so hard to tell which design a vise used.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:53 AM
72 Olds CS

What about the head you mentioned you had to rework the pin that holds the rotating head, should i get one like that ill need it to stay put.

Re base my ex had 1 lock down for the base, but had the teeth so it stayed but would move a little fore and aft i can see where 2 lock screws and teeth would make that even better.

re wilton seems the at least some of the consumer grade stuff is china and has the equivalent quality . How to ruin a good name

pics from amazon reviews more than 1 complaint. Shipping damage!! Cmon

Old February 17th, 2021, 08:28 AM

That "shipping damage" was most likely caused by the vise violently bouncing down a conveyor.
Old February 17th, 2021, 11:46 AM

I bought a Chinesium one from Horrible Freight. All of the vises at the big box stores only had 3 feet instead of 4. Checkout what happened to my Crapsman vise (post #54):

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...n-62807/page2/
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:04 PM
72 Olds CS

i would not have expected that break from clamping.

Im still on my Vise quest comparing different ones and the features. I like to read the reviews and find common themes which unfortunately takes a lot of time that and there is no universal specs given for vises unfortunately cast forged ductile iron its difficult to make a 1-1 comparison.

On another note I was studying a small (also broken) vice at work when a coworker asked are you going to try and fix it? I told him my vise story and he said he has a "big old vise" he inherited and doesnt want...hes going to get pics tomorrow (fingers crossed)

heres OLDS64s craftsmen vise

Last edited by RetroRanger; February 17th, 2021 at 04:06 PM.
Old February 18th, 2021, 08:48 AM

I probably have four or five import type vises on the farm but the one that I use all the time in the gun shop is my Wilton. It's been altered some with aluminum 8 inch jaws for gun work and has held up exceptionally well, beaten on, used as a press, you name it. Never a issue in the 20 years I've had it. I would do it again in a heart beat if I needed another..... Tedd
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Running On Empty

Tedd - Do you still have the Radio Flyer?

Old February 18th, 2021, 09:41 AM
72 Olds CS

That ones a beauty Norm. Tedd is that one yours? If i could find one like that sub $300 i would ****** it up...

the more i look at the older vises, the more i appreciate the craftsmanship and longevity built into the tool!
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:45 AM
Running On Empty

That ones a beauty Norm. Tedd is that one yours? If i could find one like that sub $300 i would ****** it up...
the more i look at the older vises, the more i appreciate the craftsmanship and longevity built into the tool!
I've had an old Wilton bench vise just like the one in the picture I posted & thought nothing more than to noodle Tedd since he has a good sense of humor.
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:48 AM

I inherited one that is all rusty. It weighs about 80 lbs. Think I will do the electrolysis on it to derust it.
Old February 18th, 2021, 10:03 AM

Wow,
Never gave much thought to my vice, when I moved in to my first house there was a non-discript vice on the built in work bench, when I moved in to this house almost 30 years ago I brought the vice with me and mounted it to my work bench. I have no idea what brand it is it only says
3-1/2 inch made in USA, I know I use it frequently and have beat the hell out of it !! wish I knew the brand ,with the abuse its had it would be nice to know who made it.
Since this thread started I started looking at vices on line and they sure do run the gambit on price mid $50.00 to $300.00 wow
I just know it's a must have tool !!!

Old February 18th, 2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Tedd - Do you still have the Radio Flyer?

Yes I do but it sets outside on the deck with flower pots in it, looks like a 1950's unrestored hammered pos that needs some love..... Tedd
Old February 18th, 2021, 03:15 PM

Is there a market for Radio Flyers? I got a 50s one and an 80s one that no one wants.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:26 PM

I know Dean, those bullets are beautiful looking! That one Funk restored looks GREAT! like timeless quality.
Old February 18th, 2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I know Dean, those bullets are beautiful looking! That one Funk restored looks GREAT! like timeless quality.
Thank you for the compliment sir!, As I'd mentioned before, it depends on your level of use and BUDGET. (Emphasis on budget) Like many folks here, I am on a budget and cannot just buy what I want on a whim. However! If you have good patience and determination, you might get lucky. As previously mentioned, I'd purchased mine from C/L seven years ago after doing daily searches and being patient. (With CASH in hand) Mine was $400 plus cost for correct aerosol paint. Though it currently has steel jaws, I also have a set of soft aluminum jaws for more delicate work as well as a set of 2024 aluminum sheaths for (quick soft jaws). I do not believe that you "need" a vise of this magnitude but the nice thing is barring theft, it would be your final vise purchase.
Old February 18th, 2021, 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Thank you for the compliment sir!, As I'd mentioned before, it depends on your level of use and BUDGET. (Emphasis on budget) Like many folks here, I am on a budget and cannot just buy what I want on a whim. However! If you have good patience and determination, you might get lucky. As previously mentioned, I'd purchased mine from C/L seven years ago after doing daily searches and being patient. (With CASH in hand) Mine was $400 plus cost for correct aerosol paint. Though it currently has steel jaws, I also have a set of soft aluminum jaws for more delicate work as well as a set of 2024 aluminum sheaths for (quick soft jaws). I do not believe that you "need" a vise of this magnitude but the nice thing is barring theft, it would be your final vise purchase.
I'm going to jump in here, as well, since I didn't say anything when I first saw your picture. You really did a great job on that Wilton. Mine will never see that condition - of course, I beat it to death every chance I can.
Old February 18th, 2021, 06:57 PM
Restorer

After having been in the Auto Repair business for over 50 years, I will attest to the fact that the best vices are USA Wiltons, old Craftsman and old Other brands. The beauty of Wiltons is the enclosed screw assembly.
Old February 21st, 2021, 04:36 PM
72 Olds CS

Those old wiltons are a beautiful piece, i have to admit ive fallen in love w them.

theres 2 similar ones within 100 miles of me but at $500 n $600 a piece probably to rich for blood. Ill attach a pic of one of the wiltons for sale (snapon branded) its a model 1760 it appears to be built to perform and last.

Ill keep looking but in the meantime a coworker came thru w a “big vise” he inhereted and was just in his way. I havent had a chance to check it out much yet, but w no swivel base i know its not my ‘forever’ vise. But after doing some work today w no vise, this one will be put to good use until i find the one...if only there was match.com equivalent for tools...haha its a joke (kinda).

so anyways the coworker offered me the inherited vise after he saw me studying a broken vise (lead screw broken and slide so bent the jaws met at a ~25* angle) at work, and he asked if i was going to fixit, i told him i broke my own vise but had suddenly taken up vise appreciation as a full time hobby....well i ended up taking the broken vise home.

so today found me drilling, pinning, grinding and welding the lead screw, then cutting and grinding and welding the slide along with a general clean and lube of the tool. I gotta bring it back to work, but i like this little vise too.

ok maybe instead of matchmyvise.com i need viseaddiction.com

some pics. A wilton/ snapon 1760 exploded view, my new vice (for now), and the vise i repaired after seeing the neglectit had suffered for probably to last 50 years.

wilton 1760

my new vise

my work vise needing repair

my repaired work vise on top of my broken vise that started this thread

Last edited by RetroRanger; February 21st, 2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old February 21st, 2021, 04:44 PM

Patience grasshopper...
Old February 21st, 2021, 04:53 PM
72 Olds CS

Thanks Funk, its easy for you to say youve got your wilton
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:01 PM

Thanks Funk, its easy for you to say youve got your wilton
This is true.. but I did not mention how many years I’d searched.

Quick Reply: I need a new vise