General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How do I stop my windshield washers??

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2018, 05:07 PM

How do I stop my windshield washers??

When I turn my wipers on the washer starts pumping and wont stop until I turn the wipers off. If I turn the wipers back on the washer starts pumping again. I unplugged the wires to the washers and they still keep pumping. How do I stop the washers?
67 Vista Cruiser.
Old November 14th, 2018, 07:52 PM

Diagnosing and repairing washer pump problems is covered on pages 12B-26 to 12B-33 of your '67 chassis service manual. There is not a simple answer, but rather a troubleshooting process to go through, and it also depends on whether or not you have a "round" or "rectangular" wiper motor. If you have a rectangular motor, the first step in diagnosing a "washer pump will not shut off" problem is to disconnect the wiring from the washer pump. If that doesn't solve the problem, which would have indicated a problem with the wiring or the switch, the next steps require removing the pump assembly from the car and running tests at the bench. Possible causes of the problem range from an open relay coil to poor solder connections to a rotor cam that is broken or binding up.

Of course, if all you want to do is stop the washer pump, and you don't care if it works correctly or not, you can just remove the pump assembly and not reinstall it. I'm guessing the wipers will work without it.
Old November 14th, 2018, 10:32 PM

That's about what mine started doing many years ago. I discovered that the inside prong of the two pronged thingamajig that engages the toothed wheel on the wiper motor was bent and not engaging correctly (the toothed wheel didn't rotate as it was supposed to), which allowed the pump to run continuously whenever the wiper motor was energized. I couldn't bend it back to restore proper operation, so I got a replacement from a forum member and that corrected the problem. Not saying definitively this is your problem, but it's something to check.

Last edited by Fun71; November 14th, 2018 at 10:39 PM.