General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

70 Cutlass sx convertible MIA

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2018, 06:44 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

70 Cutlass sx convertible MIA

Attempting to authenticate a 70 cut SX convertible that I believe is the real deal- SX missing in action, but would like any input in how to further definitively authenticate it without the broadcast card and the original engine /trans. The front fender SX holes have been covered up years ago in bondo, Today able to sand down and verify the punched holes in the original paint reef turquoise 70 only fenders- Like I said the 455 and OD code trans are long gone with the vin derivative. What i do have to further confirm a true sx is the 4 core support cradles, and the 2:56 R2 code rear. Furthermore, it has what looks like the OEM dual exhaust with the 442 cutout rear bumper.

I realize all this could be added; Even the heavy duty cooling big block core support, but I am 99 percent sure it is original to the car.

A/C Peal white bucket seat console car in Reef Turquoise

Last edited by lunaboy; February 17th, 2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old February 17th, 2018, 10:32 PM

Where is the windsield washer bottle? When was the body assembled?
Old February 18th, 2018, 12:33 PM

Did you dig for a broadcast card or build sheet, depending on where it was built? Y-79 is what you're looking for. Other than the emblems and cutout rear bumper, nothing else is SX specific once the drivetrain is gone.

Terry
Old February 18th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Bfg

Check to see if it has the over size battery tray.
Old February 18th, 2018, 01:53 PM

All A body Olds big blocks have rear reinforcement bars going from the front bolts of the rear lower control arms up to the frame at the upper control arm attaching points. Check for those. Convertibles did not get the front fender braces.
Sounds like a pretty colour combo.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:23 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

thanks for everyone's input, it does have the rear reinforcement bars and the larger battery tray; noticed it also has the th400 accelerator pedal without the kick down cable provision for a th350 trans. Looks like she was born with a 455. Closed the deal on it today as the ragtop has very little rust. the next thing to do is drop the gas tank ( needs trunk pans anyway) I hope for a build sheet. I don't want to go too far in a restoration/eng swap unless a have the build sheet as proof. otherwise, i will keep the 71 350 that's in it with the px Pontiac th400 someone swapped in years ago.

Last edited by lunaboy; February 23rd, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:27 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Where is the windsield washer bottle? When was the body assembled?
10D on the cowl tag , I think the washer bottle is on the passenger side
Old February 24th, 2018, 09:19 AM

If this Cutlass was built in Lansing there won't be a build sheet, however if it's from Freemont or Linden you may be in luck. After finding all the indicators that you have found, especially the filled in holes in the fenders, I wouldn't hesitate to call it an SX and would replace the 350 with a 455. Just my opinion of course.
Old February 24th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Before you get too financially vested into the car, bare in mind that the "SX" pedigree is only worth roughly 20% over standard Cutlass money. It is not, and never will command "442" dollars. Secondly it is a non numbers car which further devalues the bottom line. Aegean Aqua is a great special order color, but is only "sprinkles on top" when it comes to resale. If you want to build it as a personal car that has sentimental meaning without concern for the ultimate value then I'm sure that it would turn out as a beautiful example. If you are going to the expense and trouble to make an investment car, you'll lose a great deal of money. I owned a numbers matching unmolested rust free '70 SX hardtop for 17 years that required a restoration. After all of those years of ownership and dry storage, I discovered that the investment to properly restore the car would be nearly twice what it would cost to buy a nicely restored example. I sold it in the exact condition purchased and rolled the money toward my '40 coupe. Just another opinion/angle....
Old February 24th, 2018, 03:43 PM
ph_ckstick1

Are you sure the badge holes were not filled because this car when it was just a used car got whacked , and needed a nose and maybe a rear bumper, highway pile up. and an sx donated the parts . as this sounds more likely. What would the reasoning be for filling over the badge holes unless the body shop repaired car with used nose with badging in wrong spot for the car it was going on.. I could see the shaving the badges if it was done to all of them on the car, are they all shaved/filled over, or just the sx fender holes?
Old March 8th, 2018, 08:03 AM
The Rocket Astronomer

yes, all the holes were filled, even the side trim holes.

Linden Car, I may be in luck for finding the Build sheet.

20 percent value over standard cutlass money, Seems low but I can understand why that's not far off.

Still, have not dropped the tank but will do so this weekend.

either way, if I find the build sheet or not looks like the car will be a driver with OAI added and trimless exept for the cutlass and SX badging on the fenders.