The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

AllanR MIA

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

AllanR MIA

Has anyone heard from Allan lately? He does not have his PM setup, I tried.
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:26 PM

I've noticed a lack of posts from him, too, in recent weeks. He was as regular as clockwork. I hope he's ok.

According to his profile, his last post was on May 2.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:14 PM

With Great Sadness

Thanks to all for
the great ride; it's been fun most of the time. My life has taken a somewhat
sudden and unexpected turn which will focus me elsewhere.

May your
roads be smooth and freshly paved and gas stations abundant with cheap
gas.

God Bless all, stay well and safe. This is my last post.

Allan
Old May 31st, 2013, 02:24 AM

so sad. I had wondered where he was. We talked many time in PMs and he was a great help to me on many things.
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:28 AM

Hopefully he has won the lottery and has taken himself and his family on a long trip...
Old May 31st, 2013, 03:57 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

I miss his input. He really helped me and a lot of people out on this forum...he would really go the distance when I needed help with a car..yup, sad...hopefully he will return someday....

Ted
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:35 AM

Having frequented forums for a decade now, I've noticed that posters with that amount of time invested usually come back after a while.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by sammy
I miss his input. He really helped me and a lot of people out on this forum...he would really go the distance when I needed help with a car..yup, sad...hopefully he will return someday....

Ted
x2
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:35 AM

Wow I'm really bummed about this...Allan was the best contributor on this forum in my opinion. Hope he returns one day soon!
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM

He PM me when he left. He went to a close friends funeral and had a life changing experience. He decided he was spending too much time on line here. He wanted to spend more time with his close friends and family. I miss him but also respect his priorities.
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:40 AM

He sent me a stone shild emblem with some estuchons recently with a nice note inside.

What a great guy, hope he comes back soon.
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:51 AM
Administrator

I did a search last night before posting this thread and saw what he wrote about leaving. He is a great guy, and I was wondering what happened for him to just up and leave.

I too hope all is well with him and his family.
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:54 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
Wow I'm really bummed about this...Allan was the best contributor on this forum in my opinion. Hope he returns one day soon!
X2 Well said
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
He decided he was spending too much time on line here. He wanted to spend more time with his close friends and family.
Interesting. It was true that he could be counted on to be among the first to respond to almost any posting and then respond almost immediately to any response TO that posting. I have heard of "internet addiction." It's unfortunate that he couldn't just dial it back a bit without cutting himself off completely. Maybe after a while he'll come to realize that he can come back, but just at a slower pace.

One of the greatest of life-living truisms I have ever heard is "everything in moderation," and the word "everything" should be underlined.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:55 AM

Jaunty, I agree 100% and also think once the pendilum has swung too far in one direction, it has to swing too far in the other before becoming centered.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:15 AM

I certainly miss his inputs!I got some good advice from him on how he went about doing some work on front and rear end suspension work. Hope you come back soon Allen, your "Olds" friends miss you too!

Dave
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM

Scot, Please correct me if I misunderstood. I "THINK" he was going to resume posting on his project as work progressed.
Old May 31st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Whoa. I hadn't seen that "Goodbye" post.

Allan is a great guy and was definitely a great resource.

I'll miss him, and I hope he returns when his schedule allows.

I'll go check my PMs and see if I've got any contact info for him and drop him a line if I do.

Allan, if you're reading this, we miss you, but understand that none of us can be everywhere at once, and that it's far more important to be in the "real world" than on Classic Olds.

- Eric
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
70 Cutlass SX

I was thinking about him last night too. I was hoping he would come down to IL this July.
Allan - I look forward to seeing you online again, with even better stories to share.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:06 PM
Justin

I have been wondering my self about Allen !

I hope he is doing well . I do agree at times the Internet consumes us and we need to step back at live life before it passes us by .
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:11 PM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Whoa. I hadn't seen that "Goodbye" post.

Allan is a great guy and was definitely a great resource.

I'll miss him, and I hope he returns when his schedule allows.

I'll go check my PMs and see if I've got any contact info for him and drop him a line if I do.

Allan, if you're reading this, we miss you, but understand that none of us can be everywhere at once, and that it's far more important to be in the "real world" than on Classic Olds.

- Eric
x2
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:44 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Has anyone heard from Allan lately? He does not have his PM setup, I tried.
I have spoke with Al a few times in the last few weeks and all is well and as mentioned before he just wants to focus more on family and close friends. I too would like for him to return soon, but at his own pace. Honestly I think there were a select few individuals on here that did not help one iota to the situation and on top of what is mentioned above contributed to his leaving. Which I totally understand 100%.
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Scot, Please correct me if I misunderstood. I "THINK" he was going to resume posting on his project as work progressed.
He stated that he would finish the thread but didn't say when.
Old May 31st, 2013, 12:50 PM

Probably got sick of these pop-ups
WTF the site is hardly viewable
I have to close or move a pop up every 10 seconds
This is bs ruining a pleasant experience
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:15 PM

That is a bummer that Allan had to attend the funeral of one of his close friends. It is always sad to loose people you love. Hopefully he will come back after a few months.

BTW, I'm glad he didn't stop posting because I started posting again. That would have been embarassing.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks Allan

Thanks for all your help providing advise and information .!!

1971cutlas
Juve
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:15 PM

As a relative new guy to this site Alan has been a great help to me on learning more about the Olds Community. I miss his input and hope he gets things worked out. I understand being addicted. I bought my car in Oct started tearing it apart in Dec and have been working on it pretty much non stop since. It has been in the body shop for a bout 3 weeks and giving me a break. My wife is thankful and understanding!
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:25 PM

If you read this I just want to say Thanks Allan. You were always there to kindly help me with good info. Enjoy your time with friends and family and maybe you can pop in and say hi once in a while. Bob
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:49 PM

I too would like to say "THANK YOU ALLAN" !!

He was the first to offer advise for decoding my car and helping me understand what all the numbers mean. He is a great guy and an extremely valuable resource for anyone with a classic Olds. I've learned a lot just by reading his posts on various topics.

If you are reading this Allan... thanks for helping me with the 3.42 posi rear end. It is all together now and runs/looks great !!
Old May 31st, 2013, 06:31 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

Hope everything turns around Allen. oops ! I meant Alian, or Allan. We all missing/thinking of you. All the best.

Adam
Old June 1st, 2013, 04:26 PM

Allan is doing fine and decided to adjust his priorities as has been mentioned. Scot touched on something and I'll mention it too. There were several threads that turned in one big pissing contest and Allan (and others) at times became a target because some individuals felt they needed to make a point over something that was just plain stupid....and had nothing to do with helping others with their cars. The issue on the threads had Allan wavering on walking away and the death of his friend solidified that decision.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Allan is doing fine and decided to adjust his priorities as has been mentioned. Scot touched on something and I'll mention it too. There were several threads that turned in one big pissing contest and Allan (and others) at times became a target because some individuals felt they needed to make a point over something that was just plain stupid....and had nothing to do with helping others with their cars. The issue on the threads had Allan wavering on walking away and the death of his friend solidified that decision.
I do not know which threads you are referring to but.........there are several members here that have been very helpful to me in my project. Allan was one, and there are a lot of others and I respect all of the opinions whether I agree with them or not. There have been a few threads recently that are not productive. 2 pages of posts on replacing a fuel line is one example. If you feel like a post is personal it is time to STFU. Express your opinion and let the poster determine if you have valuable input or not. Opinions are like a..holes. Everybody has one.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:23 PM
MOTORHEAD

I wish the alley cat wood stand proud
until then your sad lad
brian

Last edited by 11971four4two; June 1st, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I do not know which threads you are referring to but.........there are several members here that have been very helpful to me in my project. Allan was one, and there are a lot of others and I respect all of the opinions whether I agree with them or not. There have been a few threads recently that are not productive. 2 pages of posts on replacing a fuel line is one example. If you feel like a post is personal it is time to STFU. Express your opinion and let the poster determine if you have valuable input or not. Opinions are like a..holes. Everybody has one.
Also Eric (oldcutlass) you add great balances in a lot of these pissing matches
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM

I am disappointed when these urinating contests arise.
This forum has been SO helpful to me! I try my best to get along with the CSM, body manual and stuff on the wildabout cars site... but sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for (after having missed the page) or need a second opinion, or share a trick to doing something... The tread about cheap tricks has been VERY interesting! I use the ATF and acetone mix all the time now!
I really miss sharing my progress with Allen though... he has been so encouraging!
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:56 PM
Justin

I will miss his input he had a way of calming such threads in my opinion .
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:22 PM

I will miss AllanR's input, always good info.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Perhaps we could all try to emulate Allan and learn frrm this. I am a relative newcomer, and have learned so much from everyone. I try to only give advice when I think I know what I am talking about, but realize that my experience is just that- mine alone. We should leave our egos at the door when we enter CO.
I truly will miss Allan if he stays away, but hope he does if he is happy.
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:55 PM

Hope he will be back soon! He always had great info and was guaranteed to respond to your post. He was always there to help you a long no matter what the question was. He is defenantly one of the good guys.
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:27 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Allan 'says hi and sends his best wishes' to everyone...

Ted
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sampson
Also Eric (oldcutlass) you add great balances in a lot of these pissing matches
I don't like keyboard bullies, bashing, or drama, and I try not to get into pissing contests. This forum has, for the most part, a great wealth of individuals with knowledge and experience with Oldsmobile's and cars in general. Do we all get it right all the time, no. There are going to be personality conflicts, work through them. Let's just try to respect each other and have fun.

Allan, go ahead and take your break, then get your a$$ back on here.

Quick Reply: AllanR MIA