General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Am I misssing a Splash Shield Inside my fender?

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2018, 09:14 PM

Am I misssing a Splash Shield Inside my fender?

It looks like there is still some leftover ribbon sealer on the lip of the front door hinge pillar on the right side of the photo. It seems like there might have been some kind of cover there on 1972 A-body cars, although I can't see where it attached to the fender on the left. With the door removed I can see and reach right inside the left fender.

Also, can I sneak out a fender without removing the inner wheel well and front stone shield and headlight buckets?

Thanks, Tom
Old January 17th, 2018, 08:49 AM

My work is kind enough to block the images, so not sure what you're talking about there. I don't believe there was anything like that from the factory.

Yes, the fender can be removed by itself. Takes some careful maneuvering because the inner well will hang onto it. Just go slow and it's much better with two people. Make sure the core support goes behind the fender lip when reinstalling. Getting the bolts out of the front of the core support to the fender does require removing the buckets, which requires removing the stone shield. But you should remove the bumper anyway, and you're already most of the way there at that point.
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Hah, thanks. It sounds like I might as well remove the whole front. I thought I had already removed most of the fender bolts, but it does sound like it will be easier if everything is cleared away especially when I install my freshly painted fender. What else has to come out after the stone shield an headlight buckets? Can the inner wheel wells stay put?...

I'm glad there's no splash shield missing inside my fender, but I really do wonder what that gooey ribbon sealer is for then... I guess I forgot to post the picture... For some reason it got turned sideways though, with the actual back of the rear fender edge running along the very bottom of the picture and that ribbon sealer horizontal near the top of the picture)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180116_174953.jpg (1.47 MB, 24 views)

Last edited by tcolt; January 17th, 2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: add photo
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:25 AM

The gooey ribbon sealer is there TO SEAL!

That is an area where two pieces of sheet metal are spot welded together. Sealer was factory-applied to prevent water from getting in b/n the two pieces of steel and causing rust (since the overlapped steel pieces, where they face each other, are BARE metal). You'll see the same thing at the back of the body on the pinchweld that ties the rear body panel and floorpan together (via pinchwelds again). Also...across the top of the firewall and other areas.
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM

Thanks Pat. It just looked very unfinished, but that makes sense. I'm glad I don't have to find any missing parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180116_174953.jpg (1.47 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by tcolt; January 17th, 2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:16 AM

That sealer is a tar/oil-based sealer.....it dries out somewhat over time and cracks as it dries. Tends to look a bit "worn" with time and that's probably what you're noticing.