General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1966 Toro coolant bottle

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2017, 06:01 PM

1966 Toro coolant bottle

Has anyone ever fitted the 1966 Toro with a coolant bottle? If so then what did you use?

Thanks
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Just curious why you think you need one? If you've filled the radiator to the proper "COLD FILL" line in the radiator's cold side tank, you should never need an overflow jug.

Now if you're filling the radiator slap full to the top, the cooling system is going to puke out coolant until it finds the level it wants- which is going to be the COLD FILL line.

That said, an aftermarket overflow jug is not a hard installation on a 1st gen Toro. You should be able to find a mounting point on the RH side of engine compartment. Make sure the overflow tank is mounted at same level as the pressure cap.
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Just curious why you think you need one? If you've filled the radiator to the proper "COLD FILL" line in the radiator's cold side tank, you should never need an overflow jug.

Now if you're filling the radiator slap full to the top, the cooling system is going to puke out coolant until it finds the level it wants- which is going to be the COLD FILL line.

That said, an aftermarket overflow jug is not a hard installation on a 1st gen Toro. You should be able to find a mounting point on the RH side of engine compartment. Make sure the overflow tank is mounted at same level as the pressure cap.
Well, I just feel more comfortable having a coolant overfull bottle so I can run the system at full capacity ( a Plumbers thing I guess). No other reason as everything is new and should work fine.

Still looking for a bottle that will fit if anybody has done it and tell me what works.
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by cougla
Well, I just feel more comfortable having a coolant overfull bottle so I can run the system at full capacity
When you fill to the COLD FILL line, the system IS at full capacity. Anything extra you add just gets pushed out the overflow tube and onto the ground (or into the overflow bottle if you install one).

The designers of these cars were not idiots. The car was designed to work just fine without an overflow bottle. You're not correcting a problem nor improving anything in terms of cooling capability by installing one. I have a '67 Delta 88 which did not come with an overflow bottle, and I've never had a problem with overheating, coolant coming out the overflow tube, or anything else. Every time I check the coolant level by removing the radiator cap when the engine is cold, the level is right where it should be.

Don't fix what ain't broken.