General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The (high) Cost of Shipping

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2017, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Angry The (high) Cost of Shipping

I'm sure this is something that a lot of us can relate to, so this is a rant about it. I live in Canada which means the cost of shipping from the USA to here is quite a bit higher than shipping within the lower 48. And shipping from here to the USA sometimes creates a roadblock to a sale of parts. Heck, even shipping within Canada is sometimes offensive.

I ordered some parts from ILT about 2 weeks ago, and they arrived yesterday. I already knew from the e invoice that they were charging $US 40.00 to ship to me, which I thought was high, but I also expected everything would be packaged nicely as they have always done in the past, so I was REALLY surprised to find electrical parts mixed in with heavier metal parts all crammed into a 7"x10" padded envelope. This was not express shipment either. I don't know if the blower resistor has been damaged in shipping, I guess I'll find out when I install it.

More to the point of the rant. I have a small business UPS account so I opened my shipping tab and entered ILT's zip, package type, dimensions and weight. Not sending it express, it would take approximately 10 days, which is what I got from them. Cost? $C 17.85 which works out to $US 14.19. That includes all surcharges BTW. WTH?? So I checked it again and it came out identical to the first.

It just didn't seem fair, so I've sent them an email to the agent who processed the order, telling him the details from ^^^. I asked if he could apply a rebate to the credit card I used to get the order paid. I'm waiting for a reply.

One thing I already know is they get a business volume discounted rate, so there's no really good excuse for the high cost of this smaller shipment.

In no way should this reflect on the quality of the parts, that's not the issue. I've always been happy with their parts and pricing. I did have to call them to let them know their parts picker forgot to include one of the line items, but that's happened to my orders from Fusick and Parts Place too. Good help sometimes is hard to get.

Ok, that's my rant. I'm sure others have had this misfortune one way or another whether it's from one vendor or another. The reason I got small business accounts from the Post office and UPS was to make the cost of shipping parts from Canada to USA less of an obstacle to interested buyers. In fairness, the big distributors could apply their rates more fairly instead of assuming excessive flat rate fees. I'll wait for them to reply, if they ever do.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Hopefully the parts aren't damaged. If they are you can always reject the charges on your credit card. It's bogus when you get lousy service.
Old July 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jesse,
It's not lousy service, it's lousy shipping rates. And I guess the shipping staff did let the ball down. I've had better luck, (service and shipping) in the past with ILT replacement parts than most other vendors.

EDIT: I also have encountered really excellent service from the sales staff. I had a mix up in one order where I should have received 2 axle seals and the picker only picked one. The sales staff was courteous and polite, and got the missing part sent the same day, no charge - as it should be. It did delay the axle install by about 2 weeks though. When I've asked for clarification on their parts inventory they have always been accurate and honest with the information they gave me.

Last edited by Allan R; July 20th, 2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:20 PM
Old School Olds

I feel for you Allan. The costs have been out of hand for a while now. Luckily here in the states, we have the advantage of USPS flat rate shipping on some things. However, your're limited to their package sizes and after that it's either UPS or Fed-ex. Greyhound for the larger stuff is 80 miles one way for me so...Yeah, SHIPPING SUCKS.

Getting people that take pride in their work, no matter what it is they do, is another subject entirely.

I was going to ship the off-set 4 bbl breather to Ted and the cost to Canada was almost as much as the part. (Large box.) Then I get guys that want the parts I have for sale for the price I'm asking shipped free. What's a guy to do? This ain't Amazon Prime, lol. Thanks for letting me vent through your thread. Like I say, I hear you load and clear.

I don't think we even need a border to be quite honest. Mexico, yeah I'm to close if you know what I mean. I will say though, I have some good friends that are hard working Meskins. I say that with respect, they know.

Last edited by tru-blue 442; July 20th, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:34 PM

Many companies have discovered that inflated shipping charges are just another way to increase the bottom line. When it comes to international shipping you have to consider import duties too. Either way, it sucks to pay the extra, which just makes me extra careful that I cant find something fairly local before I place a cross-country order.
Old July 20th, 2017, 03:20 PM

Well Allan you just need to make a list of what you want and take a road trip! I still have the 1972 Vista Cruiser 455 under my work bench

Seriously though, if you can save something you welcome to have them ship to me and I'll forward on to you.

Just to share with all, I've created accounts with FedEx and USPS both which are free. FedEx saves me maybe 10-15% using my account, USPS not so much. But what I have learned about USPS is they have what's called Regional A and B boxes. The A box is slightly smaller than the medium flat rate box and I've been able to ship items from Oregon to Texas for a little over $6. I don't know if you need an account to use them, or if I didn't figure out that option until I got an account and started playing around with their web site. Both FedEx and USPS accounts will let me print the shipping label on my computer and I can walk past the line at their offices to just drop the package on the counter. They will both pick up at my house too, but I've not explored that option well enough to know how it works.

I hate the fees with ebay/paypal but have learned that selling items like heads and using their shipping calculator will give me discounts below what I can get outright. Even with the FedEx ground account. So the buyer gets a break going through ebay as long as the seller doesn't add a handling fee.
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Adam, no problem. Vent away - that's what I was doing. What I wish is there was some upfront honesty when they say the order will go out today, by disclosing the amount before pulling the trigger. I might have said no because the order wasn't large (70.00) but the shipping was another 40.00 on top of that.

John, you know I want to do that. I almost made it last year. Was gonna rent a truck and make the trip. Then the rental company started changing it's rules about unlimited mileage because it would go across the border. It's been on my wish list for how many years now??? My UPS account gives me 40% savings on shipping which is a whopping savings and puts it competitive with giants like ILT and other vendors. If any future orders occur, I'll be sure to ask what shipping cost is within the lower 48 first. I believe I still have you on the Christmas card list... Someplace in Medford where we can hang out by the Squatch pit?? Need to get Robb to join us though. 2 people fall down more easily than having 3 that make a tripod.

Last edited by Allan R; July 20th, 2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM

Allan, if you ever make it down you'll have to play tourist while your here. Go a little further and check out the Redwoods (remember Rob's pictures?). Maybe take the jet boat trip down the Rogue River. Then drive up to Crater Lake to see the deepest lake in the US (maybe North America?).

I need to write Rob an email. I got a long message from him that I've not taken time to reply to yet. Yes, if you had time to check out his retirement property over on the Oregon Coast that would be another highlight while your down!

Engine is doing fine under the work bench. I've got several other extra motors. Plus the collection of blocks, cranks and heads I got from Gene... I now have several dozen extra engines(some in pieces) cluttering up the garage!

OK, I'm getting off topic but since your the OP hopefully you won't mind the hijack
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:16 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by 70W-32
Many companies have discovered that inflated shipping charges are just another way to increase the bottom line. When it comes to international shipping you have to consider import duties too. Either way, it sucks to pay the extra, which just makes me extra careful that I cant find something fairly local before I place a cross-country order.
Sorry, But This is wrong..
I know some think those that pick the items, then box it, fill it with peanuts/etc and tape it closed, scale it, label it, and send it off to the shipper (ups/usps/fed-x) by way of stacking on dock and passing to truck when it shows or stacking a pallet and wrapping it. All work for free,
Oh and that box and fill and tape that is free also.
Sorry that you are used to huge vendors that pad the parts price then offer "free" shipping. or pad the price of the part and offer what seems like lower cost shipping..
Remember this when you walk into fedx/ups/usps and are getting raped on shipping your package ,you are doing so, so that companies like amazon /summit/jegs/etc can get killer shipping rates . I'd love to pay what they do.. What cost them 5 bucks to ship, it'll cost me 80.00 And that is just the difference in rates, forget the materials and payroll part..
That the shipping businesses don't make much off of, other than volume of sales..
Shipping to Canada or even Hawaii is costly.. over the boarder has that road block that holds things up.. Want fun, ship to Europe..

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; July 20th, 2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old July 21st, 2017, 03:30 AM

I live in Finland. Reality is, that when you add shipping + customs to total, that item pays double for me vs. selling price.

Ill play around it By ordering alot same time, but that also means alot money need to be saved. When you need that one item fast, it costs arm and a leg.
Thats why i havent bought any items yet to my engine rebuild. Ill wait until i have gathered money to buy everything at once to save on shipping and customs. Since here shipping costs are also included to price when they count customs.

Well, noone is forcing me to have an American car, so my own choice, i quess. But sucks nonetheless.

Last edited by Inline; July 21st, 2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:51 AM

A simple google search - link at bottom - 'why are shipping costs to Canada high' confirms what many here, especially those who have sold on ebay already know - the added costs of duties and taxes, period. Some of the reading originated from Canada news sources suggest bloated top heavy management and others suggest high legacy costs at Canada Post. One article mentions USPS offices in NL and NS regularly mobbed with locals shipping elsewhere at greatly reduced cost. BTW I never knew USPS had locations anywhere north of the border. It's not likely ILT or Fusick etc will have a direct Canada presence at some point reducing recipient shipping costs for shipping destinations in Canada, but of course Amazon and Walmart are already there. ALWAYS check Amazon for any single thing you buy online. Google search amazon inline tube oldsmobile :

Amazon Amazon

If Inline Tube was careless in packing your order, I don't think it merits a shipping costs rant, which you already knew would be high. If the shipment had been shipped in two or more parcels, the costs no doubt for the entire order would have been yet higher. Maybe they knew this based on experience, which was also my first hunch. You sent them a email subsequently, wanting someone in the USA to account for generally high shipping costs, which is once again the bottom line. Now you are reminded in your call for fairness why I and others are reluctant to ship to Canada - the recipient too often wants to hold me and compaines like ILT directly accountable for something not remotely my or our fault, even if I should mark up the cost to cover my costs. Careless packing before the customs inspection process cannot be excused regardless of anything else.

These troubles have been discussed in detail by us here before -

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...anada-wth.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:53 AM

Shipping is a challenge for all of us who buy or sell parts. I just shipped a set of heads and fedex ground turned out to be the bets deal. Fastenal came in at the same rate but fedex was to their door. So a better deal. As John said having accounts helps but not always. It also means that if there is a added charge it is taken out of the account and no notice is given. So, if it is to Canada and the duty or other fees are not caught up front then there it is later to the shipper. Buyers sometimes think that should be eaten by the seller. But, that is not right. That makes it harder to sell to someone in Canada. I have had buyers from Canada just drive to Oregon on the bigger orders to get parts. Saves them in the end. I try to be fair and honest on shipping. Packaging materials cost money too. I keep an eye out for plywood that is reclaimed and stock pallets. Building crates is a pain but for body parts a must. I typically incorporate the crate price in with the larger parts sold. For a quarter panel you can easily have 4 sheets of plywood and two pallets and support lumber, screws nails and so on, no to mention I need help to build them. All cost money.

This is a challenge when selling parts. One we all need to be aware of. For buyers and sellers.

Now that ebay has the international shipping option it makes it easier to ship to foreign countries. Not sure how it works on the buyers end. But, has worked out ok for me on the selling end.
Old July 21st, 2017, 12:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
I know some think those that pick the items, then box it, fill it with peanuts/etc and tape it closed, scale it, label it, and send it off to the shipper (ups/usps/fed-x) by way of stacking on dock and passing to truck when it shows or stacking a pallet and wrapping it.
Well basically, that's exactly what they do once the order is placed. Want to confirm that with them? I did. That's part of their cost of running the business, which is separate from the actual cost of shipping.

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
Oh and that box and fill and tape that is free also. Remember this when you walk into fedx/ups/usps and are getting raped on shipping your package. Shipping to Canada is costly..
You obviously didn't read my post. I can ship their package back to them using my UPS business account (not snail mail like they did) for $US 14.00 and that includes all surcharges. Shipping to the USA is also costly. And yes, I also know what it's like to have to pay full price. What's your point?

Originally Posted by coldwar
If Inline Tube was careless in packing your order, I don't think it merits a shipping costs rant, which you already knew would be high.
So? It's my rant and it's my right to say that. Now it goes a long way to justify what 'high' means IMO. I've recieved orders from RockAuto that were monsters compared to this one, and the shipping containers and prices are really really really fair in comparison. I'd guess that RA and ILT have close to the same size customer base, considering all the brands they stock for. And all the RA orders I get pay the same exchange, duties and tariffs but are MUCH fairer in pricing, which I see up front before committing to buy

You sent them a email subsequently, wanting someone in the USA to account for generally high shipping costs, which is once again the bottom line. Now you are reminded in your call for fairness why I and others are reluctant to ship to Canada - the recipient too often wants to hold me and compaines like ILT directly accountable for something not remotely my or our fault, even if I should mark up the cost to cover my costs.
Yeah, I guess I'm being totally unreasonable to complain about a 7"x10" envelope weighing 1.7lbs costing $40.00 to ship to me via snail mail. Get real. As mentioned before ^^ I can ship this envelope back directly to them on my dime via my business UPS account, including tariffs and surcharges for around $14.00. Wanna explain how I can do that for that price and I'm nowhere near the giant they are? I've shipped to the US before and I work with my customers to ensure they get the lowest possible rate and service. I also don't charge them for packing or supplies. How nice of me...and those US based customers do exactly what you're accusing me of. I ALWAYS quote them the shipping costs and allow them to back out of the transaction without penalty if they feel it costs too much to ship. I must be a real ogre to have that many layers of thick skin.

Originally Posted by lemoldsnut
I try to be fair and honest on shipping. Packaging materials cost money too. I keep an eye out for plywood that is reclaimed and stock pallets. Building crates is a pain but for body parts a must. I typically incorporate the crate price in with the larger parts sold.
This is a challenge when selling parts. One we all need to be aware of. For buyers and sellers.

Now that ebay has the international shipping option it makes it easier to ship to foreign countries. Not sure how it works on the buyers end. But, has worked out ok for me on the selling end.
Thank you for your efforts to make the shipping equation fair. I for one appreciate the distance you're going to help the buyer. I won't use eBay to sell. Recently one of my transactions used PayPal to send money and I ended up eating the fee for using PayPal even after I told the buyer he would be responsible for it. I chatted with another member who's more knowledgeable than me on this and he said if they use PayPal, add 3.5% to their invoice to break even.
My internal Canada sales I prefer e transfer which costs me nothing.

Last edited by Allan R; July 21st, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old July 21st, 2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I did have to call them to let them know their parts picker forgot to include one of the line items,.
This has happened to me on just almost 100% of all the orders I ever placed with them. This is not exaggerating either. Even when working on other peoples cars and they place the order and have it dropped shipped to me it is this way. Not had to much trouble with the shipping charges but I am only a state away. I guess they double the shipping rate to cover for their mistakes.....

I buy from them because I have to but if I can get the same thing somewhere else I do.
Old July 21st, 2017, 01:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Eric,
Sorry to hear you get some crappy service too. I've experienced less than stellar performance from Fusick as well. I think you are correct that geography makes a world of difference in shipping. Quicker and cheaper. The other companies like Fusick, Year One, Parts Place aren't all that much further from you either, are they? I know OPGI is pricy, but they're on the west coast. I don't use them because their base costs are higher than others to start with for the same parts.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
I live in Finland. Reality is, that when you add shipping + customs to total, that item pays double for me vs. selling price.

Ill play around it By ordering alot same time, but that also means alot money need to be saved. When you need that one item fast, it costs arm and a leg.
Thats why i havent bought any items yet to my engine rebuild. Ill wait until i have gathered money to buy everything at once to save on shipping and customs. Since here shipping costs are also included to price when they count customs.

Well, noone is forcing me to have an American car, so my own choice, i quess. But sucks nonetheless.
Some of the buyers I have sent parts to in Europe, use "Freight Forwarders" to ship larger quantities, or heavy parts. I do not know of any that are shipping to Finland, but it might be worth investigating. I ship to the forwarder of their choice, and they get a partial container price. I heard that someone shipped a complete V8 engine to Russia for about $500 (shipping only).
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

No, it is obvious you have been and are conditioned to be a victim. All of your convoluted explanations and rationale breaks down to the simple fact you want the items but don't want to pay what it takes to get them to you. So you did screw up by not going to Amazon first, we are all human. If it is so unfair, a term you apply often with a wide brush, and you knew charges would be high, then why patronize these sellers? Because you need or want what they have, well TOUGH. Start the process of really fixing your problem by insisting being under the yoke of burdensome Canada-domestic shipping and the ransom of taxes and duties you must pay to receive items from anywhere else,,,,,,,,,,ends.
Its obvious that neither of us seems to have common ground on this issue. I didn't categorize you, so please don't categorize me.

Last edited by Allan R; July 22nd, 2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Reword
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:06 AM

Just recently purchased a Glass polishing kit. $157.00. 3.8 lbs. Cost me $138.00 for shipping to Canada. That was after I paid $32.00 up front to the glass company for "their shipping". Somebody making a bunch of cash shipping stuff. I feel completely ripped off.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:05 PM

OK guys, no politics, no flaming. Keep to the rules or we'll close the thread.

John
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:44 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by 2blu442
OK guys, no politics, no flaming. Keep to the rules or we'll close the thread.

John
Then you need to close/lock thread, because it has everything to do with the cost of over the boarder shipping..
I know for many the truth hurts.. but facts are facts..
I don't make them facts others have. Many don't know them because well. that info. gets wiped clean.. Like above..

I know my post didn't flame anyone. but it did address the political ties that are the reason for that crazy board rates..
Sorry if it caused a fuss.. But to many think the venders are crooks, and pocketing the shipping, when it is another (I'll call it here dept to not make waves) that is the cause.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:45 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Ummm...heck with shipping. First visit Allan , then whip down and see John, then down to bother Adam, up to see Scott and home. Should have everything I need by then.😁..Darn, I would still have to pay at border.!..but would have a lot of fun!

Two shipping companies still claim I owe them Duty on items I have received after they have delivered them and I paid the fees before the parcel is unloaded off the truck!.I just ignore them...👍
Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:04 AM
Administrator

If your visiting Adam, you can swing by my place too... I'm just north of there. I think we all hate shipping costs that are more than what it should be. It has nothing to do with politics, just greed.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:25 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Careful what you offer....I just might...lol. Ty for the invite, I am retired now, so this road trip is in the works👍
Old July 23rd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Administrator

The offer stands to anyone passing through.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:04 AM
Old School Olds

Same here fellas. Eric I will have to make it up one day maybe for the orphans show.
A/C is down on the 66 at the moment and it's to damn hot out.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Perhaps if any events come somewhere in between we can meet up. A/C, whats that?
Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:16 AM
Old School Olds

Well, the GMC is quite the cruiser so...
Old July 23rd, 2017, 07:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

IN the future i will ask the shipping cost before pulling the trigger. The web page for ILT suggested it would be around $20.00 and that's in an acceptable range for such a small package. I know nothing is free and wasn't suggesting that. But disclosure of the shipping cost would have been appreciated in advance of finalizing the offer. I didn't find out how much it was till after the invoice was closed. Btw, there was no duty/tariff assigned to this package as it crossed the border. That would have been disclosed on the shipping bill of lading, or the delivery service.

Ted, when did you retire? I don't have parts for that 73 V code 442 you have your eyes on. Depending on how long you're in the USA you can bring $x back across the border duty free. You can check CBSA for the amounts. Sounds like an awesome road trip.

Midnight - No harm no foul. I agree there are some issues with duty/tariffs that can't be avoided. Those are usually stated in advance of closing the invoice though, at least that's been my experience. Used old parts don't seem to attract the attention that new stuff does either.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:04 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Allan...I retired in May. Sold the business. Still a landlord . More time for cars and travel. 👍