General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Identification and Request...

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2017, 01:19 PM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Identification and Request...

Hello Everyone!

Boy, it's been a long time! I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their oldsmobiles.

I am getting ready to put the finishing touches on my engine with hopes to install it sometime this summer (if I can get some extra arms and muscle for installation)...my question is...does anyone know what these items are and where they go? Also, can anyone direct me to where I can find the spacer(s) needed for the proper alignment and installation of the power steering brackets? The spacer I am specifically referring to looks very similar to a small socket that would fit on a 1/4 inch drive...

You can see the spacer on this picture (on the lower left side of the power steering bracket)

Last edited by 1968CutlassSupreme; June 6th, 2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old June 6th, 2017, 02:15 PM

The bolt is a water pump bolt, and the other parts bolt to the valve covers, to hold vac line or battery cable, and the other to hook the springs to hold the top of air cleaner for ram air hood,
Old June 6th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

As Harv noted, the flat clips are secured under the valve cover bolts. The engine harness has plastic retainers on it that snap into the other hole in the clip. The clip with the ears is actually to hold the vac modulator pipe along the passenger side valve cover, but it was also used as the anchor point for the O.A.I. lid hold down springs.

Inline Tube sells a complete kit of the correct "stud head" bolts, spacers, and other fasteners to mount the PS pump brackets under P/N INL14461.

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:10 AM

The spacers are easy to fabricate out of steel tubing, maybe some one will post the measurements. Your pic shows one, there is another between the block and p/s pump support bracket.
Old June 8th, 2017, 03:53 AM

You don't need a sleeve spacer for your '68, that double stud with the hex nut you have in your pic is the the early style for your timing cover/ lower p/s bracket. I'm not sure when Olds switched to the studs with the spacer,whether it was late in '68 but my '68 was a Nov 67 build. I put up a pic for you showing mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds 442 winter 2012-13 038.jpg (502.0 KB, 24 views)
Old June 26th, 2017, 10:51 AM
1968 Cutlass Fan!

Thanks Everyone!

I appreciate all your help in this. Joe, I've ordered the kit from inline tube and I just got it in! Yay! I was wondering if you, or anyone else here for that matter, might have a more easily discerned (i.e. bigger and clearer) assembly diagram for the power steering build sequence. I seem to be having trouble finding exactly what goes where with the tiny picture they've provided.

Also, I painted the hinges for the hood a long time ago and now they are stiff and do not want to close properly. I've purchased the spacers that go behind the hinge at the fender but I still can't get the hood to close smoothly. If you look at my profile picture, you will see that before I took the hinges off and painted them they closed fine. They held the hood up fine too. I guess what I'm saying is that they are not worn out, and something I did caused the problem. I just don't know what or how to fix it.

Thanks again everyone!
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 1968CutlassSupreme
I appreciate all your help in this. Joe, I've ordered the kit from inline tube and I just got it in! Yay! I was wondering if you, or anyone else here for that matter, might have a more easily discerned (i.e. bigger and clearer) assembly diagram for the power steering build sequence. I seem to be having trouble finding exactly what goes where with the tiny picture they've provided.
SEARCH is your friend:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...p-spacers.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-brackets.html