General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Trans cooler

Hello everyone. 1970 SX convertible.I have had an external trans cooler on my car since the 80's when I used to tow with it. The towing is long since over but the cooler remains. I am about to add Vintage A/C to the car and I need to make a decision on the cooler. Do I really need it now that I am not towing? It is a turbo 400 trans and I have a 3 core radiator that has a factory trans cooler built into it. Thanks for your ideas.
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM

it is always nice to have a cooler but my opinion is that you would be fine with the factory cooler. could you just put the cooler in front of the condenser?
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Your TH 400 doesn't need the cooler since you aren't towing with the car. They are always nice to have though.
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

Why do you think A/C precludes the use of the trans cooler?
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Thanks guys, I know I can still use the cooler, but the A/C maunufacturer does not want it in the air flow of the condenser. If I got rid of the cooler it would clean up the installation and get rid of something that was not original to the car, If it doesn't need it, I would just as soon not do anymore crafting to keep it. Thanks again for your advice. This is what I needed.
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sshriber
Thanks guys, I know I can still use the cooler, but the A/C maunufacturer does not want it in the air flow of the condenser. If I got rid of the cooler it would clean up the installation and get rid of something that was not original to the car, If it doesn't need it, I would just as soon not do anymore crafting to keep it. Thanks again for your advice. This is what I needed.
Well, it's your car, but heat is the enemy of any automatic trans. An aux cooler is a smart addition. The factory optional aux cooler mounted in front of the A/C condenser with no problems. Of course, if getting rid of "something that was not original to the car" is a consideration, doesn't that also apply to the Vintage Air unit?
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Yeah I knew you would say that. I have never seen a factory auxilary cooler. Where did they mount and are they available as a repro anywhere? The vintage unit I am putting in is a MarkIV reproduction of the units that were in lot's of cars of the era as dealer installed. Not OE, but at least period correct for a non air car. I just can't take those hot humid days anymore without the ability to put the top up and get some relief. Got caught last year on the way to a cruise-in in 85 degrees and pouring rain. Whole family along and I was not the hero! Thanks for the note.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sshriber
Yeah I knew you would say that. I have never seen a factory auxilary cooler. Where did they mount and are they available as a repro anywhere? The vintage unit I am putting in is a MarkIV reproduction of the units that were in lot's of cars of the era as dealer installed. Not OE, but at least period correct for a non air car. I just can't take those hot humid days anymore without the ability to put the top up and get some relief. Got caught last year on the way to a cruise-in in 85 degrees and pouring rain. Whole family along and I was not the hero! Thanks for the note.
There's a repro of the Mark IV unit available? While I never considered it particularly attractive, you are correct in that it is period correct. Do they use the huge York compressor?
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Hi Joe, Actually they do not use the huge York compressor. The unit is period correct inside the car, but updated to todays vintage air stuff under the hood. I am in the business and have been working with Vintage on the best way to do mine and we have decided that I am going to use all period correct stuff under the hood(A6 compressor) and then their liscensed,correct MarkVI unit in the car. It is a compromise, but I have got my head around the concept. In the car it will look period correct, and under the hood it will look sort of period correct. I have strugled with the A/C thing for 20 years with this car and now have finally found something I am comfortable with. It is a DRIVER so I can't make myself crazy over it.
The Vintage MarkIV unit is very well done. All metal and chrome plated just like the originals.