General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

SPAM Reduction -vs- New user Category

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

SPAM Reduction & New User Category

Folks, in order to cut down on the spam on this site I have created a "New User" (member) category that all new users will be automatically registered into. After registration, they must then wait 2 days and make 5 legitimate posts - which can ONLY post in the new "New Member" forums at the top - before they have access to the rest of the site.

Once a new member has 5 legitimate posts and 2 days registered, they'll automatically be promoted from "New User" to "Registered User" and be able to post anywhere else on the site.

This new registration/promotion process should all but eliminate Spam Bots from registering then randomly posting all over the site before we can catch and ban them. If nothing else, it should restrict it to the newbie forums so we only have to watch 1 place.

As always, please use the REPORT POST button (looks like a little red-lined triangle with an exclamation point in it at the lower left of the post) if you see spam.

Please let me know if you have any questions. THANKS for everyone's help and input on this!
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM
car guy

I want to be the first to say a huge thank you!!!!
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM

Spam

Hey thanx it should work Larry & Susan vintageozarks
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I want to be the first to say a huge thank you!!!!
You betcha. Let's hope it works!
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Thank you, just one question, I'm getting a goofy message when I toggle out and then back in about not being able to post as a new member or something to that effect. Is this across the board? Or did I write another offending post? I have to sign out and then back in and kind of work my way around to see posts. Sorry I'm not being more specific, I'm still not that computer savvy.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Since I was one of the ones to complain, let me be one of the first to say "THANKS"
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by csstrux
Thank you, just one question, I'm getting a goofy message when I toggle out and then back in about not being able to post as a new member or something to that effect. Is this across the board? Or did I write another offending post? I have to sign out and then back in and kind of work my way around to see posts. Sorry I'm not being more specific, I'm still not that computer savvy.
Let me know if it continues after I tweak things a little bit.
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
EKi

This sounds great, it should cut out most of the spam.
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Registered

Thanks Omicron, too cool.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM

I think we all know who the man is.
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Can't Get new post, Since last Visit

I get some message about not being able to post, not the normal " New post since last visit" What's up
That's a great feature

Last edited by Half Baked; January 24th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Thank you as well
And thanks for all your work to keep the site going...
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM

I also get the "you don't have the right privileges or your access is denied" kind of message since the tweak. I just click into one of the forums and it goes away.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
I got the same problem trying to log in today. So I surfed to the CP and came in through that access. Otherwise the site wouldn't let me in. Wierd.
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:43 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Never found much spam but it must of been a problem with some. Must have been loggiing on at the right time. It is great that you can get rid of it with less work.
Larry
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM

thanks, lately there has been enough. I wish a couple other sites would do the same.
Old January 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Past Administrator

As usual guys. I hardly post on Friday nights or Saturdays so missed this until Sunday evening. I thank Paul has put a lot of effort into this and want to publicly say "Thank you".

Per his recommendation I will be moving a few threads/posts to this forum to help "introduce" the new members, then maybe will tag or sticky them (if I can do it right).
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by Half Baked
I get some message about not being able to post, not the normal " New post since last visit" What's up
That's a great feature
For those of you having problems like this one, I think just changing your homepage to https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/ instead of https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...searchid=63167
will take care of the issue.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Senior Moment

Thanks for the work.. mucho appreciated. The site looks great.

If only the geniouses who put their time into spambot code, trying to rip people off with look-alike webpages and developing malicious viruses put their talents, (yes talents, it takes brains to do that crap) into something constructive, who knows what could be.. alt fueled cars, cures for cancer, aids, world peace.... ahh but there's always someone else waiting in the wings to be a scumsucker..
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Unfortunately scumsucking has the allure of being able to make money quickly.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM

Looks like you guys have your house in order, so a big "Thank You" is in order from a newbie. It will be nice not to have to surf through all the bad stuff in order to get to the good stuff. Keep up the great job!
Bob
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:08 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Shucks, thanks for the nice words.
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Omicron
..... After registration, they must then wait 2 days and make 5 legitimate posts - which can ONLY post in the new "New Member" forums at the top - before they have access to the rest of the site.

Once a new member has 5 legitimate posts and 2 days registered, they'll automatically be promoted from "New User" to "Registered User" and be able to post anywhere else on the site.
I notice this policy is not really enforced much if at all. Is it relevant any more?
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:35 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Well the "promotion" is automatic. System doesn't care where they make the posts, or what's in them, just that they post. It's up to the mods to make sure posts are legit. If it hasn't been a problem for a while now, just ignore it and let it happen.

Far as I know, Dan (Oldsguy) is still manually approving all new registrants, and that helps too.
Dan is that true?
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:18 AM
Past Administrator

Yep, I review all applications every day. Haven't been thinning out too many though as we haven't had trouble with spammers lately, except for maybe that one last week. I mostly approve all apps, the only ones I don't are if they look obvious to me to be a potential spammer or fisher or whatever they are called now.
Old August 20th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Respectfully, I realize u have the authority to make the rules! Having said that
making fair rules is a different story. As I have multiple make autos I am on several
classic car forums. Urs is the only one who treats new members as though they’re diseased
& need to b quarantined! If ur goal is to attract / gain new members, ur rules do the opposite!
not sure how they do it but u need to check on other sites like Fordbarn.com, they make new members
feel welcomed, wanted & with the same privileges of membership the most senior member has!
Also not sure how they do it but they have practically none of the annoying adds u have. I’ll watch & wait but I am contemplating leaving ur site!

Last edited by Tb442; August 20th, 2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old August 20th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tbone442
Respectfully, I realize u have the authority to make the rules! Having said that
making fair rules is a different story. As I have multiple make autos I am on several
classic car forums. Urs is the only one who treats new members as though they’re diseased
& need to b quarantined! If ur goal is to attract / gain new members, ur rules do the opposite!
not sure how they do it but u need to check on other sites like Fordbarn.com, they make new members
feel welcomed, wanted & with the same privileges of membership the most senior member has!
Also not sure how they do it but they have practically none of the annoying adds u have. I’ll watch & wait but I am contemplating leaving ur site!
This thread is a bit old and does not apply anymore. I'll remove the sticky. If you want to leave one of the best and friendliest Olds sites, that is entirely up to you.
Old August 20th, 2021, 10:42 AM

You can do two things to mitigate ads. The first is run an adblocker software. I used to like ad block, and ad block pro, but I like uBlock Origin. It's an extension for your desktop browser, firefox, explorer, edge, chrome. For the phone, you need an ad blocking browser. I like the "Free Adblocking Browser" for Android.

The second thing you can do is use proper spelling and grammar. Lack of capitalization, bad punctuation, and "net-speak" shortcuts like "u" and "urs" and "b" attract the adware crawler bots, and they hit you with more ads because they think you are a person that will be easily convinced by them. Typing more correctly shows higher intelligence and makes the bots pick easier targets than you.
Old August 20th, 2021, 11:58 AM

Thx

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
This thread is a bit old and does not apply anymore. I'll remove the sticky. If you want to leave one of the best and friendliest Olds sites, that is entirely up to you.
I appreciate the prompt reply. If I decide to cancel my membership, how is that done insuring all info is removed as well!

Koda has me thinking it’s probably a good idea. If he is one of the “Friendliest” you speak of, he’s moved me closer to the leave column.
Thx & Best
Old August 20th, 2021, 02:04 PM

I appreciate the prompt reply. If I decide to cancel my membership, how is that done insuring all info is removed as well!

Koda has me thinking it’s probably a good idea. If he is one of the “Friendliest” you speak of, he’s moved me closer to the leave column.
Thx & Best
You can go through your profile and delete any information and pics.

If Koda has you straddling the fence about leaving, perhaps you can tell us how this site will collapse and fade into oblivion without your membership.

Perhaps you can show us the certificate you received from the "Charm School" you attended. Good luck.
Old August 20th, 2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
You can go through your profile and delete any information and pics.

If Koda has you straddling the fence about leaving, perhaps you can tell us how this site will collapse and fade into oblivion without your membership.

Perhaps you can show us the certificate you received from the "Charm School" you attended. Good luck.
OLDSter Ralph
Not that it matters now but I’ve been nothing but polite, no snarky or hidden but obvious insults as from Koda & now you! While I never indicated Classic Oldsmobile would “collapse or fade into Oblivion W/O me, it is sad that it’s management is left in the hands of people who obviously can’t respond respectfully with civil discourse. Thx for being obvious you have no real interest in any real dialog on improving the site, your way or the Highway.
Old August 20th, 2021, 03:00 PM
Administrator

OLDSter Ralph
Not that it matters now but I’ve been nothing but polite, no snarky or hidden but obvious insults as from Koda & now you! While I never indicated Classic Oldsmobile would “collapse or fade into Oblivion W/O me, it is sad that it’s management is left in the hands of people who obviously can’t respond respectfully with civil discourse. Thx for being obvious you have no real interest in any real dialog on improving the site, your way or the Highway.
You have been a member of this site since 2013 with 18 posts, 3 of which are in this thread. If you have not realized the site is a tremendous tool for the Oldsmobile community by now then perhaps you are in the wrong place. PM me and let me know if you want to be removed from the site.