General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

You Tube user CHERAL AUTO Who are they?

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2017, 07:44 AM

You Tube user CHERAL AUTO Who are they?

It was just pointed out to me that they took my pictures from my thread here and made a You Tube video from them. I know the pictures are on the net and free for the taking but do they get money from the advertising on this video?

Old July 8th, 2017, 07:49 AM

Interesting... are they implying they were involved in your restoration? If I didn't know differently that's what I would think.
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:50 AM

Eric

Looks like you got a really nice video done of your restoration start to finish. Hopefully they don't use it a marketing piece for their work.
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:02 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by 442Fred
Eric
Hopefully they don't use it a marketing piece for their work.
Why do you think they made and posted the video for if not for marketing purposes??? However, unless they come right out and say their shop did the restoration and make a fraudulent statement, there's probably nothing that can be done about it...
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:05 AM

Eric, below is from the Co. youtube page.

31,792 subscribers • 10,953,969 views
Joined Jun 29, 2014

Description
We are here to fulfill your automotive interests and appreciation in everything car-build related, while at the same time help you rediscover new models that you had never considered beforeLet CHERAL AUTO be the spark that ignites your automotive imagination and enthusiasm for everything involving car builds, modifications and restorations.
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:06 AM

At least they did add a link to the thread here on CO.
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:37 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
At least they did add a link to the thread here on CO.
I also would not be surprised if someone at that company has some sort of connection with a member here on the site... You know, car guys talking to other car guys etc... It's part of the hobby, and hopefully, that part of it will never go away...
Old July 8th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Regardless, it certainly looks like they're trying to claim credit for Eric's work. Cheesy music, too.

Gorgeous car, though.
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:06 PM

While it is a nice video, As an amateur web designer I can tell you, if you took the picture and they are using it for any reason and did not get your permission it IS copyright infringement. Here is just one article about it.
http://lifehacker.com/5992419/the-be...-online-photos
Old July 8th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Administrator

This may be them:
https://playit.pk/channel?id=UCTWVyP3BvJaX3vuwQeFyrbg

In their terms of use statement.
8. Governing Law

Any claim relating to playit.pk's web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of Punjab without regard to its conflict of law provisions.

They also have a facebook page you can temporarily vent on until it gets deleted.
www.facebook.com/cheralauto/
Old July 8th, 2017, 06:49 PM

I do like the video and honored that they picked my car to make a video from but the more I think about it I just don't like them doing this. I have decided to flag the video to try to get it taken down.
Old July 8th, 2017, 06:55 PM

I think I've seen them post some videos of Roadster Shop projects too.
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:40 PM

You should grab a copy of the video for your own use, then get it taken down.
Old July 8th, 2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
You should grab a copy of the video for your own use, then get it taken down.
Wouldn't know how
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:36 PM

Wouldn't know how
I have done so and have a 119 MB video on my desktop. I'll put it on my website for you to pull down soon.
Old July 8th, 2017, 08:51 PM

I sent you a pm with where I put it.
Old July 9th, 2017, 02:40 AM

I sent you a pm with where I put it.
Thanks, got it
Old July 9th, 2017, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by jharsh
While it is a nice video, As an amateur web designer I can tell you, if you took the picture and they are using it for any reason and did not get your permission it IS copyright infringement. Here is just one article about it.
http://lifehacker.com/5992419/the-be...-online-photos
I looked more into this and you are correct. I had posted this on Facebook and a company I use to race for contacted me. Turns out that they had a legal battle over this very thing a couple years ago. He won the case and knows lots about it. He said You Tube will have to take it down. He also said in this case, they are almost defiantly making money from the ads and that puts it into a more serious charge if I was to pursue it. I don't plan to go that far but still, they don't need to make money from my work even if it is a small amount.
Old July 10th, 2017, 10:43 AM

It's weird how people just feel for whatever reason they can take your pics and do whatever hey want with them.

Phoenix Graphix is using pics of my 73 on their site and trust me, I never gave permission...
Old July 10th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Eric,

This is just crazy. Welcome to the WWW, I quess. Not to be an antagonist, but the company obviously knew it wasn't their work, knew it was most likely done in a private garage, took the time to methodically pull all those pictures and place them in their advertising assemblage to solicit business. How is this not premeditated theft. I know that is not really a legal term, but it should be. They stole your work out of your garage, the same as if they stole your tools or even a car out of it.

I would persue the civil side of it, you have a right to defend yourself. At least check into it a little further with your attorney.
Old July 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM

This just occurred to me. Anonymously sue them through your attorney. There's a reason they did that; it may be to build a provenance of a restoration, and then they use it to flush you out, get your name and address, and boost the car.
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:56 AM
ph_ckstick1

posted on facebook/etc you now don't own the photo's.. might try reading what you agreed to.. imgir/etc all of them photobucket/imageshack/flicker..
It is a well done vid. I'd email them and request they post that it(the build) was done by you..
Sadly if you don't want your photo's used without asking you need to host them yourself.. not at a photo hosting site.. or a forum.. etc..
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:03 AM

This just occurred to me. Anonymously sue them through your attorney. There's a reason they did that; it may be to build a provenance of a restoration, and then they use it to flush you out, get your name and address, and boost the car.
Joke will be on them, It is sold and will be gone this Monday.
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
posted on facebook/etc you now don't own the photo's.. might try reading what you agreed to.. imgir/etc all of them photobucket/imageshack/flicker..
It is a well done vid. I'd email them and request they post that it(the build) was done by you..
Sadly if you don't want your photo's used without asking you need to host them yourself.. not at a photo hosting site.. or a forum.. etc..
I looked into it and you own your pictures even if you post them to these places. Facebook and forums may also own them but other people can not use them without permission.

This is not that big of deal to me to push the issue, I just want it taken off You Tube. If I wanted a video like that I could have done it myself and had jensenracing77 attached to it. Maybe I should have even but that don't change that they took the pictures from here without permission.
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Need to understand the difference between law and a EULA.
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:55 PM
ph_ckstick1

I looked into it and you own your pictures even if you post them to these places. Facebook and forums may also own them but other people can not use them without permission.

This is not that big of deal to me to push the issue, I just want it taken off You Tube. If I wanted a video like that I could have done it myself and had jensenracing77 attached to it. Maybe I should have even but that don't change that they took the pictures from here without permission.
I'm going to be devils av.
And do what they may when you ask to take it down..
Where are the watermarks of ownership of said digital images..?

I hope you get what you want out of this..
But, if you don't want this to happen, watermark your images
Old July 11th, 2017, 02:58 PM
ph_ckstick1

Need to understand the difference between law and a EULA.
Please point an arrow at the watermark on image, showing ownership..
I have no dog in this mess, but The law has a few requirements to it..
a watermark is one..
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:13 PM

Midnight,
Sorry to tell you but I did take some college level web design and one class was totally devoted to photograph and copyright law. While a Water Mark is best it is not a requirement. Also while it may be more difficult to prove, there is more than one way to tell when, where, and what time a picture was taken. Matter of fact I just downloaded a pic from the OPs restoration thread and can tell you exactly what camera it was taken with.
Old July 11th, 2017, 04:26 PM

X2, As I said above. A company I use to race for contacted me over this. They just went through a legal battle over this very thing and won the case. He had no watermark or identification on his photos at all. You own your pictures even on the net. He added that they can be used in some situations but this does not fall into any of those categories. I am sure his case was much bigger than this...

Again, this is not a big enough deal to me to take farther action. I did the You Tube flag process that IS a legal process to get it down. You Tube has not contacted me yet but they will.
Old July 11th, 2017, 05:02 PM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by jharsh
Midnight,
Sorry to tell you but I did take some college level web design and one class was totally devoted to photograph and copyright law. While a Water Mark is best it is not a requirement. Also while it may be more difficult to prove, there is more than one way to tell when, where, and what time a picture was taken. Matter of fact I just downloaded a pic from the OPs restoration thread and can tell you exactly what camera it was taken with.
Yes I know.. but.. if you don't want your photo's used.. you watermark them..
Many new cameras and all cell phones will also give the time and date and gps location..
Doesn't matter here, unless in a court room..
The o/p can push to have it taken down.. that is up to him.. But that video could help others that are restoring a vehicle.. But I guess worrying about the pennies they might make on the views on youtube are to much for him.. as it has 51699 views ..
I guess it depends on what is important to you, helping others that restore cars that are not pro's that would be viewing the video, or stopping the pocket change being made .

Me I'd ask them to put in the description the person that did the work, etc. and let it help others..
But, I'm not him..

Last edited by midnightleadfoot; July 11th, 2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old July 11th, 2017, 05:53 PM

But that video could help others that are restoring a vehicle.. .
That is part of why I posted them on CO. Anyone that wants any of those pictures I posted can have them. I don't even care if someone uses some of them to help others or for reference on other internet posts. It is when someone takes every picture I posted and makes something like this without asking, I feel it is not in the interest of teaching people anything. They are simply using other peoples work for there own purposes. If it was for helping others they would have ask and also sent the builder a link so that the builder could answer the many questions that were posted to it. This was on there for 3 months without me knowing about it so it for sure is not on the up and up.
Old July 11th, 2017, 07:31 PM

They have no reason to do this video. It looks like they could use it to fraud some unsuspecting swoop into thinking they can do what you did except they are NOT you. If they use that video to drum up a check from some swoop and then stiff him, you as an upstanding citizen would not only feel bad but may get dragged into a lawsuit. Shut the Bitch down ASAP. You posted those to help people but this A-hole is infringing on your rights. You DID NOT give permission to use those images so that is infringement.
Old July 11th, 2017, 07:37 PM

Even on Flicker you don't have the right to use other peoples work without their permission.
Old July 11th, 2017, 10:08 PM
ph_ckstick1

That is part of why I posted them on CO. Anyone that wants any of those pictures I posted can have them. I don't even care if someone uses some of them to help others or for reference on other internet posts. It is when someone takes every picture I posted and makes something like this without asking, I feel it is not in the interest of teaching people anything. They are simply using other peoples work for there own purposes. If it was for helping others they would have ask and also sent the builder a link so that the builder could answer the many questions that were posted to it. This was on there for 3 months without me knowing about it so it for sure is not on the up and up.
I mean no disrespect, here, but how many eye ***** on o/c and how many on youtube?

Again I have no dog in this fight, but I will say that a video or a video and then a link to a build(rebuild) thread would've been a huge help when I was doing my 72 chevelle, sure not the exact same car but..
But do what you think you must, I'm out..
Old July 13th, 2017, 09:05 AM

You Tube took it down