General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

You may be an old car guy if.........

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM

"Dressed to kill, your wife surprises you in the middle of the night while you're working on the car. She wants to "do it" on the fender, and you turn her down because you don't want to scratch the paint."

Ah64Pilot what was wrong with doing her in her car ? lol
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by lazy394
"Dressed to kill, your wife surprises you in the middle of the night while you're working on the car. She wants to "do it" on the fender, and you turn her down because you don't want to scratch the paint."

Im gonna agree with Pilot, on or in the car, i dont want lipstick and womenly-stuff smeared all over the interior of my Cutlass.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:46 AM

Thanks, Funkwagon, I knew with all the car guys this would be good.

You are an old car guy if........

You ever charged up a condensor and handed it to someone.

You burned out a junkyard car with a hot wrench getting the rear clip for a stock car.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He didn't say that he didn't do that .

- Eric
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:47 AM

Mines not as good as most of these but there is driving my 70 Convertible for the first time in 7 years in 30 degree weather with steel crates for seats! Also the car had no top so it was a bit cold!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:32 AM

Parking over a road side ditch to change a U-Joint No Jack
" " " " " " " " " clutch " "
" " " " " " " " " Starter " "
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You might be an old car guy if...

You ever had a bad battery (or starter), but not enough money to replace it, so you just made sure to always park facing at least slightly downhill, so you could bump-start the car when you needed to be on your way.

- Eric
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

...or if you own (and have used) a brake spoon for adjusting brake shoes for wear
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:33 AM

You are driving across the Sierra Nevadas in a blizzard with chains on and they rattle the car so much that the alternator bracket loosens and you stop at the top of Donner Summit and get out and fix it. Snow sizzles when it hits the hot engine. BTW, no one stopped to help until I was putting away my tools except for a guy in a van with New York plates. I bet that he was an old car guy too.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

You built a super charger including the butterflies out of snow and put it on you 67 Cutlass to make it look cool....

You adjusted the carb by the smell of you hand after holding over the exhaust.......

You black taped the radiator hose to make it the last 200 miles home after your Honeymoon......

When you 16 yr old son's 81 Cutlass isn't starting and you diagnose the problem by listening to him crank the motor over his cell phone......

Lastly, you drive with your head out the window while the busted heater core steamed up the interior, even with all the windows down, Because.......nothing good happens after 11:00.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:01 AM

If you re-used the fluid you took out of your rear end after replacing a set of broken spider gears cause you couldn't afford both the spider gears and new gear 90.

If you traveled to Lake Tahoe on Dec 30th. with only pure water in your radiator..... then froze your a$$ off on the way home on Jan 2nd, cause the heater core was frozen solid (and you thanked every diety you could think of that your motor was not cracked after pouring 10 gal of hot water on it to get it and the radiator unfrozen)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM

....if when you were young and broke, kept a used battery in the trunk of your car to jump the one under the hood 'cuz you couldn't afford a new one.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM

You are a old car guy if you remember going rabbit hunting at night in a field with two friends riding on the running boards of your 47 chevy pickup, guns a blazing, windshield held open with a stick so the driver could shoot around the steering wheel.. God what a good time we had....Tedd
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by RandyS
If you traveled to Lake Tahoe on Dec 30th. with only pure water in your radiator..... then froze your a$$ off on the way home on Jan 2nd, cause the heater core was frozen solid
Or if your first indication of a frozen block was black smoke from under the hood 30 seconds after starting the engine, because the water pump was frozen solid and the belts were burning... and the solution was to loosen the belts and let the motor run for five minutes until the water pump was thawed.

And, yes, that first half hour before the heater core finally thawed WAS rather chilly, and I was thanking my lucky stars .

- Eric
Old August 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM

Drifted your car downhill to start it in gear and it is an automatic trans. Did this once if a ford falcon with gear indicator screwed up and it started in reverse. Scared the pee out of me and the guy behind me.
Used tobacco to plug a rad leak

Cut a piece of hose from a washing machine in an all nite laundrymat to repair a bad one on the car. Pitty the one putting a quarter in that machine.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by stellar
Did this once if a ford falcon with gear indicator screwed up and it started in reverse.

I didn't think you could do that!

What on Earth did it sound like?!?

- Eric
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM

how bout the sound of click click click ... down the road when driving on winter days with the steel studded snowtires on dry roads........
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM

Chained down the flat 6 in an old Hudson installed seatbelts and rolled it on purpose in the corn field to see how many times we could do it and still keep it running. Never could kill it

Ski bobbed behind the school bus to school in the morning when parents wouldn't let you drive the car to school because of the snow

Spin the re-thread off of tires doing burnouts
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:59 PM

Do valve jobs with a single valve hand grinding tool
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
You are a old car guy if you remember going rabbit hunting at night in a field with two friends riding on the running boards of your 47 chevy pickup, guns a blazing, windshield held open with a stick so the driver could shoot around the steering wheel.. God what a good time we had....Tedd
Old? Not too long ago heard about some idiot doing the same from a Jeep rollbar, windshield down for the driver.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Old School Olds

If it wasn't us, our dad, or uncle, it was a brother in
law for sure... Ha ha ha.
This is a great thread.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

I didn't think you could do that!

What on Earth did it sound like?!?

- Eric
It sounded pretty normal at first. The engine started running and it slowed down some then I hit the gas and the tires started smoking as it stopped and then started going backwards. I then knew it was in reverse and moved the selector and all was well. It wasn't really all that freightening as I was then 16 and thought it was pretty funny. I know the guy behind me wasn't laughing. Thank goodness he had good brakes and no guns. Damn kids.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM

Sneak into the junkyard at nite to replace some worn tires and other small items. Always brought some treats for the junkyard dog. Meat scraps and bones mostly. If we went in the daytime the dog was chained and he still wanted to eat everyone that went there except me and my brother. He would just wag his tail at us. The yard owner would just look and scratch his head. To this day I think he knew.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by stellar
Drifted your car downhill to start it in gear and it is an automatic trans. Did this once if a ford falcon with gear indicator screwed up and it started in reverse. Scared the pee out of me and the guy behind me.
Used tobacco to plug a rad leak

Cut a piece of hose from a washing machine in an all nite laundrymat to repair a bad one on the car. Pitty the one putting a quarter in that machine.
Wait, Automatic Transmission starting down a hill??

IS MY OLDSMOBILE CAPABLE OF THIS? learn something new everyday
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM

you might be an old car guy if... you dropped the $#@@$# screw that held the points in the distributor on a Slant 6... And of course you KNOW where it goes!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Wait, Automatic Transmission starting down a hill??

IS MY OLDSMOBILE CAPABLE OF THIS? learn something new everyday

Only if your transmission is old enough to have a rear pump. It's an old car guy thing.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by rcrac3r
I had an uncle just like that to. He had a big old pontiac that in the winter he grabbed the oil drain pan he made from a steel oil drum. He would start a fire in it & then push it under the engine to start it. Everything under the hood was as black as midnight.
Charcoal works best. Much cleaner and doesn't smoke everything up.

Originally Posted by citcapp
when you carried a canvas bag of water on the front bumper going over the grapevine pass
I never had the canvas bag, but I did soak a blanket with water and tie it to the front bumper once.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Only if your transmission is old enough to have a rear pump. It's an old car guy thing.
Slant pan 55 Olds will do that , been there done that, also worked in my 53 Hudson....Tedd
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Slant pan 55 Olds will do that , been there done that, also worked in my 53 Hudson....Tedd

The explanation I got when I was a kid was some transmissions had a second pump on the tailshaft in addition to the normal front pump. So if you got the car rolling it would build enough oil pressure to apply the bands and clutches, allowing a bump start.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:59 PM

You might be an old car guy if:

You laugh your *** off at the thought of one of them being HER car! LOL! Never in a million years will they be hers But I'm pretty sure that was a typo, right?

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He didn't say that he didn't do that .

- Eric
I had just put new black carpet in the car...I don't want anything on it...plus:

Dressed to kill, your wife surprises you in the middle of the night while you're working on the car. She wants to "do it" on the fender, and you turn her down because you don't want to scratch the paint AND you would rather finish what you were doing on the CAR!

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Im gonna agree with Pilot, on or in the car, i dont want lipstick and womenly-stuff smeared all over the interior of my Cutlass.
Agreed The only thing sexier than a picture of a naked chic sprawled across the hood of your car, is a picture without the naked chic and no dents
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot

Agreed The only thing sexier than a picture of a naked chic sprawled across the hood of your car, is a picture without the naked chic and no dents
bahahahahaha,

You know, i think they're just jealous because we give so much time to our cars. (And probably spend more money on em' on a regular basis )
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:57 AM

- You pop the hood every morning to wack the starter solenoid cause it's stuck again.

- Push the car down the road as hard as you can, try to jump in and slam it in 1st (manual) cause the startermotor finally gave up
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Caught

This actually happened when I was 17.
My radiator was full of water and we had a sudden cold snap.
Well I took the radiator out and took it in the house and put it in the bath tub to thaw it out, no big deal right?
Until my mom came home from work and saw the dirty radiator in her bath tub.
Oh boy did I get in trouble and could not figure out why.

Years ago I used to change turbo 400's by putting them on my chest, wiggling under the car and bench pressing them in place with the 2 bolts I had in my mouth.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by FIRST 442
Years ago I used to change turbo 400's by putting them on my chest, wiggling under the car and bench pressing them in place with the 2 bolts I had in my mouth.
You know you an old (car) guy when you say years ago
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM

When you preferred bench seats because she could sit right up against you

Wen you could pop the top of a beer bottle where the steering column was fastened to the dash

When steam on the windshield at the drive in movie was a good thing
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Or 'back in the day"!
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Speaking of back in the day ...

I had a really epic adventure with a car jumping out of park & rolling out of the parking lot once.

I think I still wear some ever-so slight traces of a couple of scars encountered trying to stop it.

And NO ... it was NOT the car itself that injured me during this fiasco.

Just not sure how to make it fit the subject.

I will say this ...

Not a day goes by ... that I am not thankful that this happened loooonnng before the days of camera phones - YouTube - FailBlog etc etc etc.

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM

When the car you and your buddies took to the drive in was the one with the largest trunk.
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
When you preferred bench seats because she could sit right up against you
You know you're an old cripple car guy when you say forget the girl, I'm keeping the bench seats in my hot rod because they are more comfortable than buckets! Then you even make a relocation bracket so that the seat moves back an additional 2" - Yep, this guy right here...tons of room
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:45 AM

Great thread ! So many of the posts are memories for me !

- you pull the head off an I6 with crude hand tools in a sub-zero parking lot, haul it up to your crappy 3rd floor apartment, walk a 10 mi round trip to buy a few new exhaust valves, and do a crude valve job in the middle of your living room floor....which, when reassembled, RUNS!

- you have a piece of baling wire for the throttle that is wrapped around a Matchbox car that you leave on the front seat (cruise control was wrapping it around the shifter )

- you run a piece of speaker wire to the failed pedal brakelight switch and use a little generic push button switch to activate the brakelights (used in conjunction with hand throttle above - throttle wire between ring & middle finger / brakelight between thumb & index)

- you replace a waterpump in a rainy parking lot

- you drive 20 miles with NO brakes by using the JetAway like a boat - Downshift to slow, Reverse + gas to really slow /stop

- you park your $35 Karmann Ghia with a near dead battery by backing up on parking berms so it will start by rolling off them ...failure means push starting...

....and so many more....

Quick Reply: You may be an old car guy if.........