General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Year One or OPG for convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Year One or OPG for convertible top?

My '72 Supreme has the original convertible top and it is split in a couple places. It is time to replace it. Year One has a top (with glass window) for $279 less the 10% online discount. OPG has the top, window, well liner and pads for $445 and free shipping. That is a huge price disparity! Does anyone have experience with these products and can recommend one or the other. I don't mind paying for quality.
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM

I don't know about that specific product but I have never heard of Year One selling junk made out of chinesium. If you ordered from Year One you would get a good product. At least, that is what I hear.
Old February 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Unless you plan to install it yourself, why not have the trim shop order and install it? You get one somewhere else, they'll charge out the *** to install it anyway. Plus with OPG a well liner and pads come with it? See what YO wants for that whole package; may not be that much difference in price when all things are considered together.

Besides, just about all tops are made by a very few manufacturers. Kee and Crown come to mind.
Old February 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Year One vs OPG

I have ordered and replaced my '68 top from Year One, no complaints!
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM

Ray,

The previous owner of my '72 bought a top from Year One and had a local trim shop put it on (in South Carolina.) He told me the trim shop actually THANKED him for providing a Year One top! Not sure if it came with the pads, cables, or springs though. I know it did not come with the well liner, as they did not replace mine, and I wish they did.

In my opinion, it is a very good quality top with (I think) a 3 year warranty. It has the glass window which is tinted the same as the rest of the windows (factory tint).
He gave me the receipt, if you want the part number. Mine is buckskin color and is available in white, black, and beige. I even have the fabric/color sample sheet - YO will provide that for free so you can pick your exact color. Pics of my car can be seen at www.flickr.com/photos/robsalbum.

Tops are complex to put on so it is very important to find a good installer. If you have the body manual, you may copy the top replacement section and give to the "top shop", as they may not have done a car this old.
Mine still fits tight but is slowly stretching, allowing easier clamping at the header. Alignment at the rear of the rear windows could be a little better, but maybe it will all come together when the top stretches.

Let us know how it comes out...
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:31 AM

Thanks for that, Rob. I feel better after seeing your picture of the "buckskin" top. Mine is somewhere between white and buckskin. After talking with the previous owner (of 31 years) I know that the original top is still on my car and it used to be white. It is not even in that bad of condition--but the seams are soming apart at the back window.

I am going to go with a Year One white top and have it professionally installed in St. Louis. I wouldn't even attempt to do that myself. I'll go ahead and have the pads, rear window and well liner replaced even though they all seem to be in good shape. It might be another 36 years before the top is replaced again!

Once that is done, I'm going to bring it over to London with me. It will certainly turn a lot of heads over here. I have a contact here who is interested in buying it. If I can get a really good price from him, I just might do it.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Ray,
Yes your car will sure turn heads in London! There very few stylish cars there (at least when I visited back in 2005.)
A white top on your color car will contrast well and if you get the style like mine, you will be happy with it. The installation is what will make or break it.
Hopefully you will decide to KEEP the car though!
Keep us posted...