General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

wild custom bought back from death

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2011, 06:16 AM

wild custom bought back from death

http://www.marquisautorestorations.c..._dream_car.htm Seen this on car kzars last night was very nice and explained many of the steps in custom car making with parts from many vehicles.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:52 AM

A very interesting ride. I do see a lot of other makes in it, but the combos all seem to work?
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Oldsdruid

That was the magic of customizing back in the day. Leading especially is a lost art and with health concerns doubt you'll see it ever make a real comeback- did ya notice the guys didn't have respirators or anything while they were melting it out and cutting thru it?

The Marquis Restoration guys were asking for advice and a 54 parts car over on AACA forums a while back. They do some great work off-camera, but like most shows of that ilk, the producers go more for ratings than accuracy. Hey- ya can't have a soap opera without a little self-imposed drama, now can ya!

I enjoyed the Olds segment. The 69 Camaro show immediately before, not so much. If that Camaro had been as far gone as they claimed, they should have got a Dynacorn rebody. Not like anything on the car was original/genuine by the time they finished it anyway, and if that was the only 69 Z28 built with a - - paint code out of close to 20,000 made... I'm also thinking those cars had Z28 on their data plates because of the vibration cans Fisher had to install, but my F-body days have faded way into the distance.

I'll give it to them. They made a concentrated effort to locate a correct dated 302. Most 69 Camaro "restorers" would have just slapped a crate engine in there, trimmed it out as the real thing, and moved on. That is if they hadn't totally corrupted the car and stuffed a BBC in there.

But 16 second timeslips? With an engine that dynoed over 400 horsepower? 'Course they did strangle it with manifolds/smog pump in the car, but.

Z28 were not the street terrors everyone "remembers", but I remember them being quicker than 16 seconds. If that's the case, my Toronado could have stomped one into the ground as the W34 could usually break into mid 15s.
Old February 26th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Love the story!
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM

I saw boththe shows also. Kind of liked that he got hosed 18k for a body that needed so much work. Loved the 54 s88 episode. Did see that it was the 09 WoWs, so it was filmed early that year. I liked this show, didn't seem to have as much of the "gotta get it done, and make a ton of money off of it" as some of these other reality shows out there now. Did anyone else notice on the Z at the strip, the 302 emblem was only on the d.s.hood bulge and that the horn button was missing. All after spending 100k + on the resto?
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Oldsdruid

Well- I kinda think they took some liberties with the figures. The tipoff was when two repop quarter skins and a box of fasteners and small detail items set 'em back $7 grand. I know Chevy parts can be expensive, but unless there was a whole lot of stuff in that box, I'm just sayin'.

And can anyone imagine telling a resto shop "You have twelve weeks to finish this job." Haw, haw, haw!
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:11 AM
Registered

Pretty cool.
I know a guy who bought a '59 Chevy Impala new when he was in high school then immediately tore it completely apart and customized it, and he wasn't rich, worked at a gas station.
It has Lincoln panels, frenched headlights, molded in '59 Caddy tailights, extended wheel opening flares, the whole nine yards.
He eventually sold the car in the early 60's and then found it again in the mid 70's, it was like finding a long lost friend to him.

400px-Ronald-heitman-1959-chevrolet-candy-angel.jpg
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:13 AM

To each their own. I can appreciate the labor involved, but not a fan of the final product.

The el camino's style or "ute" never appealed to me, and that pink toenail paint is too fruity.

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 27th, 2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:23 AM

I really like old "custom" cars. I've had two over the years and kinda regret selling them. The first was a '70 Chevelle SS 396 named "The Hillbilly". I bought it as a long-retired show car that needed everything including a major engine rebuild. At that time, I was getting divorced and sold it to raise money. About 3 years ago, I found a '64 'Vette roadster that was done in the '70s and named "Candy Kiss". It was chocolate brown metal-flake, velour interior and chrome EVERYWHERE---the builder must have owned a chrome shop. I changed a couple things around on it and nicknamed it "Hot Chocolate". My wife always made fun of it and I sold it to a friend to make room for a '72 442.