General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

wild about cars

Old November 15th, 2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by anthonyP View Post
I keep getting the error page and HTTP 403 code.
403 errors can be caused by lots of things. Things to try first are clearing your browser's cache, and then, if that doesn't work, clear your browser's cookies.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findby...a/403error.htm

Last edited by jaunty75; November 15th, 2014 at 06:33 AM.
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic View Post
Weird. I tried it with and without the "online" and it came up instantly.
You'll notice, though, that you were redirected to wildaboutcarsonline.com

But this is something else that anthonyp could try. Just type into your browser's address bar www.wildaboutcars.com and see what happens.
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Just for the heck of it, one more thing to try, if all else fails, is to clear your browser's DNS resolver cache. As everyone knows, the "word" versions of web addresses are translated into those multi-number IP addresses by the browser, and the browser gets those IP addresses by going to a DNS (Domain Name Service) server. Which DNS server or servers it goes to are part of the network configuration on your computer.

To save time when browsing, your computer maintains a cache of the IP addresses of recently and frequently visited websites so it doesn't have to keep going back to the DNS server each time you want to visit, say, classicoldsmobile.com. But this cache can get corrupted.

It's easy to clear the cache, and it causes absolutely no harm to do so as your browser will simply repopulate the cache with IP addresses as you go about your regular browsing habits.

To clear the cache, follow these steps. This is assuming you're using Windows.

1. Click "Start".

2. In the "search programs" bar at the bottom of the pop-up list, type in Command and hit Enter.

3. A window will open with a good old-fashioned DOS prompt. At the prompt, type in, all on one line with no spaces, the following:

ipconfig/flushdns

then hit Enter.

You should get a brief message saying the resolver cache was successfully flushed. Close the DOS window and try again to load wildaboutcars.com.

Let us know what happens.
Old November 15th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75 View Post
You'll notice, though, that you were redirected to wildaboutcarsonline.com
Back door, front door, side door - they all get you in to the same place.

And his computer's DNS cache could show different entries for each, if it were corrupted.

- Eric
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:01 AM

Back door, front door, side door - they all get you in to the same place.
It's not quite this simple. All of those different versions of the web address don't get you to the "same place" by accident. The AHPS has to own all of the various possible versions of the URL that people might type in and set up a redirect for each one to take to the correct web page anyone who types in one of those other versions.

Companies do this all the time to make sure that people who type in web addresses that are logical but not correct still get to the right page. For example, the General Motors website is www.gm.com. But you'll get to that same page if you type in www.generalmotors.com.
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The AHPS has to own all of the various possible versions of the URL that people might type in and set up a redirect for each one to take to the correct web page anyone who types in one of those other versions.
That's my point.

Each domain requires at least an initial DNS lookup. The fact that they may all resolve to the same IP address is not important, because each one should produce a different entry in the browser's DNS cache, so that if one entry for one domain is corrupted, a different entry for a slightly different domain may still be intact, and will point to the proper site.

- Eric
Old November 15th, 2014, 07:41 PM

Just for the heck of it, one more thing to try, if all else fails, is to clear your browser's DNS resolver cache. As everyone knows, the "word" versions of web addresses are translated into those multi-number IP addresses by the browser, and the browser gets those IP addresses by going to a DNS (Domain Name Service) server. Which DNS server or servers it goes to are part of the network configuration on your computer.

To save time when browsing, your computer maintains a cache of the IP addresses of recently and frequently visited websites so it doesn't have to keep going back to the DNS server each time you want to visit, say, classicoldsmobile.com. But this cache can get corrupted.

It's easy to clear the cache, and it causes absolutely no harm to do so as your browser will simply repopulate the cache with IP addresses as you go about your regular browsing habits.

To clear the cache, follow these steps. This is assuming you're using Windows.

1. Click "Start".

2. In the "search programs" bar at the bottom of the pop-up list, type in Command and hit Enter.

3. A window will open with a good old-fashioned DOS prompt. At the prompt, type in, all on one line with no spaces, the following:

ipconfig/flushdns

then hit Enter.

You should get a brief message saying the resolver cache was successfully flushed. Close the DOS window and try again to load wildaboutcars.com.

Let us know what happens.

Thank you for your help. Tried the above procedure, but still received the same error page and message:

The website declined to show this webpage

HTTP 403
Most likely causes:

• This website requires you to log in.
What you can try:

[IMG]res://ieframe.dll/bullet.png[/IMG] Go back to the previous page.Go back to the previous page.

[IMG]res://ieframe.dll/down.png[/IMG]More information

Old November 15th, 2014, 08:12 PM
morgan

I was getting that msg myself a while back using a bookmarked adress i had stored on my comp...when i googled the wild about cars page and clicked on the site adress it loaded right up
Old November 15th, 2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69 View Post
when i googled the wild about cars page and clicked on the site adress it loaded right up
An excellent suggestion, and I think anthonyP needs to try something like this.

Originally Posted by anthonyP View Post
Tried the above procedure, but still received the same error page and message: Most likely causes:

• This website requires you to log in.
This makes no sense as you should be landing on the site's home page, where you then either register or enter your log-in credentials. This message suggests that your browser is trying to take you directly to a page that's within the site that you would normally need to be logged in to see.

Another question is, can you load the page if you use a different computer but using the same internet service? In other words, if you're trying to access the site from home using your home internet service, can you load the page on your wife's computer or your kid's computer or your work laptop or something like that that's also connecting to the internet at home through the same network?

Another question: have you tried a different browser? If you're using IE and it doesn't work, try Chrome or Firefox. Or vice-versa.

Last edited by jaunty75; November 15th, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Registered Luser

On another subject, has anyone who registered received their license plate yet? I'm still waiting......
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds View Post
has anyone who registered received their license plate yet? I'm still waiting......
How long have you been waiting? Let me do some checking.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Registered Luser

Actually, it's only been 3 weeks. Oct 28th. As long as I wasn't forgotten about.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by ent72olds View Post
it's only been 3 weeks. Oct 28th.
That seems plenty long enough to me. Let me see what I can find out.
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I got mine about two weeks ago.

Nota bene: In a flashback to the old Johnson-Smith catalogue ("Real Submarine!!!")...

... It's plastic, like a notebook cover.

- Eric
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:41 AM

OK, Mr. Turner, here's what I found out. When you registered, you did not supply your mailing address. At least, for whatever reason, they don't have it. An email was sent to you asking for it, but that has not yet been replied to. Until this is resolved, they obviously won't be able to mail it to you.

I don't exactly know what the process is to update your mailing address. You can probably just go to the site, log in, and check your personal information. If you wish, you can just PM me your mailing address, and I'll pass it on to them.
Old November 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM

... It's plastic, like a notebook cover.
It's a nice, reflective, durable material. Won't rust. Won't scratch easily. Etc. It's really a very nice plate.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM

An excellent suggestion, and I think anthonyP needs to try something like this.

This makes no sense as you should be landing on the site's home page, where you then either register or enter your log-in credentials. This message suggests that your browser is trying to take you directly to a page that's within the site that you would normally need to be logged in to see.

Another question is, can you load the page if you use a different computer but using the same internet service? In other words, if you're trying to access the site from home using your home internet service, can you load the page on your wife's computer or your kid's computer or your work laptop or something like that that's also connecting to the internet at home through the same network?

Another question: have you tried a different browser? If you're using IE and it doesn't work, try Chrome or Firefox. Or vice-versa.

I tried Google and received the following message when I tried the link on the seach result for Wild About Cars (www.wildaboutcarsonline.com):

403 Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/globaltemplate.cgi on this server.

I just remembered that Bob had to "reset" my IP address in the past since the WAC server was not accepting it for some reason. Could this again be the problem? The websites are great, and I surely miss the many different documents, brochures, and other items for all the different makes and models.
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:04 AM

What about trying another browser and/or a different computer in the same household?
Old November 16th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's a nice, reflective, durable material. Won't rust. Won't scratch easily. Etc. It's really a very nice plate.
It's alright.

Doesn't matter to me anyway, as I stated clearly that I'd prefer not to be sent one, as I won't be using it.
I'd prefer that my contribution all go to support the AHPS.
I'll just stick it in the file cabinet along with the membership certificate, and my kids will throw it out after I die.

Now, if there were a decoder ring, that would be a different story...

- Eric
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:51 PM

What about trying another browser and/or a different computer in the same household?

I will try both suggestions and get back to you. Also, is there anyway for WAC/AHPS to check if my IP address is being blocked by their server?

Thanks,
Anthony
Old November 16th, 2014, 05:53 PM

I can ask if this is possible. I'll report back when I've heard something.
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:08 PM

The answer is that WAC cannot do anything. This is a problem on your end, not with them or their server.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:18 PM

I tried to access the website from three different computers in the household, but they all came back with the same error page. The computers all use the same router and modem to access the internet.