General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why I'm not working on my Olds like I want to

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Why I'm not working on my Olds like I want to

You know its a bad Friday the 13 th when you go out and the truck door is frozen shut. Very little visible ice, seal must have frozen. Got in the passenger side, started truck, and let run 20 min. Driver door wont open. Think, ah..... I'll just give it a quick jerk, and see if that will break it loose.
Pop! Yep, it broke it loose, not the door, but the handle.

2002 GMC door handle web.jpg

2002 GMC door wo handle web.jpg

Week later, and a driving with a redneck door handle. New handle is in, but another two days not working on the winter projects for the Olds. Don't even get me started on the canvass shelter, I bought for my tractor that I am having to strengthen up.

2002 GMC RN DoorHandle web.jpg

New Door Handle on GMC web.jpg

What other projects seem to interupt everyone else's plans for their Olds?
Old January 22nd, 2012, 01:23 AM

Going to Afghanistan all of a sudden - kinda seems to interrupt the flow of my project, y'know. :P
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

First of all, Thankyou for your service. That tends to put everything else into perspective.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:48 AM

Troy, it looks like you were having one of my days... Bummer on the handle - that is why I hate plastic on cars!
Last time my door got stuck like that, I left it alone, as I knew something bad would happen if I forced it. I figured the weatherstrip would get pulled off.

I have a lot of stuff that will have to be done before I continue on Lady's resto.
Motorcycle needs new tires, brakes, fluid changes...
The '86 needs oil change and tire rotation, as well as the caddy and ford.
Chimney on the house needs rework, as parts of it come off with every wind storm.
Already went through the all-weekend plumbing fiasco a couple weeks ago. That should have been a 5 minute flapper change in the toilet, but noooooooo....
House needs a good cleaning, but that I guess is optional.
Whoever says the single life is the easy life has got it all wrong...

The nice thing about all this is that Lady is at least drivable and enjoyable!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

TroysToys.....Kinda off topic but I love that shot with the 3 Olds with the fog......Never to soon to think about the 2013 calendar and I would love to add that picture to the mix!

Email it over BIGJP455@msn.com !!!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:27 PM

Troy, I'd be tickled if all I had to complain about was a broken door handle.

After the ugly blue toilet in the wife's bathroom cracked a tank and tried to flood the house it was time to do that long put off remodel project. The bathroom is gutted and the new white tub is in the middle of the living room. I've got sidetracked over the holidays and haven't got back to it. I did find some replacement ugly blue toilets at the used plumbing place when I dropped off the ugly blue bathtub that could have saved me the hassle of a total remodel but too late, I was committed by then. There was a couple of sharp looking lavender toilets that were tempting. Tempting me to put distance between myself and that unholy place of recycled porcelain demons that is.

The wife is a good trooper that loves old cars and puts up with my habits. When we did the restoration on my El Camino she had the dash on the kitchen table redoing the raised letters with a chrome felt tipped paint marker. I'm quick to recognize a keeper so in the interest of domestic tranquility I believe it's in my interest to finish that bathroom before getting into the Olds project.

I did manage to find time to fix a problem that has been bugging me for a long time. GM tilt steering columns have a bad habit of the bolts working loose down in the tilt mechanism. It makes the hinged part get real sloppy and annoying. It's only a matter of tighting up four blots. It's getting to those blots that's a pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_5782.jpg (78.3 KB, 27 views)
100_5781.jpg (74.4 KB, 23 views)
100_5783.jpg (67.8 KB, 22 views)
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Bummer! I remember back in the early 80's my Dad had the same problem. He took a butane torch and used it to heat the door, got the door opened but the paint didn't fare too well. Good thing it was a Citation.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:40 AM

Highway Man..
I am going to guess that you have a 1990-1994 Model year GM pickup..
Old January 23rd, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by crzyjef
Highway Man..
I am going to guess that you have a 1990-1994 Model year GM pickup..

Good guess. 1994 GMC for my daily driver.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Troy, I'd be tickled if all I had to complain about was a broken door handle.

After the ugly blue toilet in the wife's bathroom cracked a tank and tried to flood the house it was time to do that long put off remodel project.

I did manage to find time to fix a problem that has been bugging me for a long time. GM tilt steering columns have a bad habit of the bolts working loose down in the tilt mechanism. It makes the hinged part get real sloppy and annoying. It's only a matter of tighting up four blots. It's getting to those blots that's a pain.
Thanks everyone, its good to know life happens to everyone, and the To Do lists never seem to decrease.

Yea, I had to do that on an 1988 98 Regency, I owned. Major pain just to get to those little bolts.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Last time my door got stuck like that, I left it alone, as I knew something bad would happen if I forced it. I figured the weatherstrip would get pulled off.

Already went through the all-weekend plumbing fiasco a couple weeks ago. That should have been a 5 minute flapper change in the toilet, but noooooooo....

The nice thing about all this is that Lady is at least drivable and enjoyable!
It was one of those moments when you know what you shouldn't do, but you do it anyway. Ooops

Wife calls this Troy Timing. How long is that going to take?? Oh, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours......OK, I'll plan on two weeks!!!

Originally Posted by Willidog
Bummer! I remember back in the early 80's my Dad had the same problem. He took a butane torch and used it to heat the door, got the door opened but the paint didn't fare too well. Good thing it was a Citation.
Thought about it but decided just to break the door instead LOL
Old January 23rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Between my truck needeing its monthly service because something always comes up lol. I got stuck fixing my sisters car that needed brakes and struts. That was worth it i cant have her driving my nephew in an unsafe car . Then i had to fix my dads truck idle air valve deicided to stop working so i had to fix that. Im also trying to finish my dads resto which kind of became my project to finish for him . I told my self i would finish everything on my car in one month , then focus on his the rest of the winter . So far so good but i have had to hustle. Between all this im trying to buy a house and do little side jobs here and there to make extra cash. I feel you pain.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Kjr442

Well it seems like it's always something getting in the way of working on our cars, I do feel your pain. I am in the middle of my frame off, and my wife found a house she likes, so I have been moving. The plus side is I now have a much larger shop.
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:44 PM
70 Cutlass SX

But where is what I started for so long ago?
And why is it yet unfound?
Walt Whitman
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
You know its a bad Friday the 13 th when you go out and the truck door is frozen shut. Very little visible ice, seal must have frozen. Got in the passenger side, started truck, and let run 20 min. Driver door wont open. Think, ah..... I'll just give it a quick jerk, and see if that will break it loose.
Pop! Yep, it broke it loose, not the door, but the handle.

Attachment 39256

Attachment 39257

Week later, and a driving with a redneck door handle. New handle is in, but another two days not working on the winter projects for the Olds. Don't even get me started on the canvass shelter, I bought for my tractor that I am having to strengthen up.

How about having to go to work?
AL

Attachment 39258

Attachment 39259

What other projects seem to interupt everyone else's plans for their Olds?
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM

29*, no heat in the garage, is that enough? Otherwise, there's a song that goes " 40 below, no heater in the truck, don't give a f*&^ and it's off to the rodeo!"
Old January 25th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

@mikes88 thats a great song lol. I did my sisters brakes in my dads work shop which the area i was in was about 32 and i fixed his air valve in the driveway. We live in chicago whats new lol. I remember doing a thermostat in my old caprice in below zero weather gotta love winter in the midwest.