General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why I don't always buy NOS

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 07:25 AM

Why I don't always buy NOS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-Oldsm...139573&vxp=mtr

I understand completely that radio speakers in this condition from this era are virtually impossible to come by, and what he's asking for this is probably quite reasonable. However, you never see a speaker when it's mounted and in use, so who would ever know whether or not the music they're hearing from your radio is coming through the speaker above or through this one, which costs less than 5% of the one above:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...FcERMwodn1UAJQ

And, yes, before anybody says anything, I understand the importance of making sure that the Ohm rating for the new speaker matches that of the old and that the old ones typically had a resistance of 10 Ohms instead of the more common 8 or 4. But this is a minor issue that can be fixed by inserting a 2-Ohm resistor in series with the 8-Ohm speaker to give the needed 10 Ohm load on the radio. Or, it's not an issue at all if your radio is aftermarket and will work with the more common 8-Ohm speakers. And if you have an aftermarket radio, who the heck cares if the speakers it's connected to are also aftermarket.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:31 AM

One on e-bay right now for a BIN now price of $400.00. But it does come with a cover and wire. The one you listed looks like one of the terminal connectors is missing.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Administrator

I'm with you Jaunty, I would never spend that much on 1 speaker. I can put a whole sound system in my car for that.

Mike77, fyi, the terminal is not missing. The negative side of a stock radio output is chassis ground.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Of course, you can send your original out to be reconed for a fraction of that, and also not have to be worried about buying a speaker that is going to disintegrate the first time that 40 year old paper gets a John Bonham a kick drum signal. Freeman Tuell here in Dallas does mine - great people and a reasonable price.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:53 AM

I usually opt for used speakers that I have refurbished.
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Of course, you can send your original out to be reconed for a fraction of that
Out of curiosity, how much of a fraction? As cheap as it might be, I'm guessing that it's still well more than $12.99.

I have no idea if this is typical, but here's one site I found that lists prices. I would have guessed around $50-$75 to get a speaker refurbished, and that seems to be about the going rate for something in this size range, at least on this site. Two speakers reconed would be about $100 to $150. Certainly this is well less than the $600 two NOS speakers would cost based on the price of this of this ebay auction. Two new speakers from Radio Shack, though, are $26.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/RECNEPRC.html
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:00 AM

Another thing worth pointing out is physical form factor. Some of the dash speakers have tilted magnets to clear the dash internal dimensions. If it won't fit, or shorts the printed circuit, then you have a problem.
Old January 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Car Nerd

Of course, you can send your original out to be reconed for a fraction of that, and also not have to be worried about buying a speaker that is going to disintegrate the first time that 40 year old paper gets a John Bonham a kick drum signal. Freeman Tuell here in Dallas does mine - great people and a reasonable price.
I wish I'd have seen this before I had my Chevelle front speaker reconed; I think it was about $75 after shipping both ways! I sent it to Minnesota.

Last edited by OldSoldier; January 29th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Mike77,
The original rears just had a power wire running to the speaker & were grounded to the package tray, that's why you only see one terminal.

Jensen racing 77 (Eric) & I were talking about this subject last week. He knows of a place that will recone them for $25.00 or so?? I have thought about doing this as I have a couple original rear speakers. The radio shack versions might be a good alternative though.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Out of curiosity, how much of a fraction? As cheap as it might be, I'm guessing that it's still well more than $12.99.

I have no idea if this is typical, but here's one site I found that lists prices. I would have guessed around $50-$75 to get a speaker refurbished, and that seems to be about the going rate for something in this size range, at least on this site. Two speakers reconed would be about $100 to $150. Certainly this is well less than the $600 two NOS speakers would cost based on the price of this of this ebay auction. Two new speakers from Radio Shack, though, are $26.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/page/RECNEPRC.html

The last two 4x10 style front dash speakers I've have FT do were in the 40.00 range. There was no shipping involved since I dropped it off and picked it up. It is cool seeing their shop with all the band road equipment being redone. Sure it's not 26.00, but it looks completely original and the magnet is the OE one that has to be that shape to properly fit the bracket, and the connector is the OE one that plugs right into the radio. Maybe for the rear 6X9 it isn't so important, but it will still look correct.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:54 AM

Dust in the wind

I'd have to pass on that one.
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:21 AM

The high prices takes away some of the joy I get from my hobby. It would be a lot more fun if there were just as many parts available as there were in the early 80's and prices to match.
The refurbished factory speakers sounds like a great idea and deal.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Wow, $295 for that speaker? That's the asking price. I doubt he'll find anyone willing to pay much more than $100.

Now you guys might hate me:
At Olds Homecoming in Lansing several years ago, there was a former Olds employee at the swap meet selling stuff from his basement. I picked up not just the rear speaker as in the eBay auction, but an entire U80 retrofit kit. It included the speaker, the wire to run from dash to rear deck, and even a sparkly new-chrome fader **** to put on the radio in place of the jumper wire. Seems like there were some other necessary doodads. Everything was completely mint. I paid $25 for it.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Now you guys might hate me
You're right. We do.
Old January 29th, 2014, 02:49 PM

ditto

For just the rear convertible speaker bolts it costs what you paid for everything. Nice purchase. Those deals don't happen every day.
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:37 PM

The last two 4x10 style front dash speakers I've have FT do were in the 40.00 range. There was no shipping involved since I dropped it off and picked it up. It is cool seeing their shop with all the band road equipment being redone. Sure it's not 26.00, but it looks completely original and the magnet is the OE one that has to be that shape to properly fit the bracket, and the connector is the OE one that plugs right into the radio. Maybe for the rear 6X9 it isn't so important, but it will still look correct.
The NOS fronts that have the round magnet will still fit the original bracket. I just got one from joesw31 and it fits the bracket good. I found out that i can get them rebuilt cheap so i sent my originals in to be done.
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Wow, $295 for that speaker? That's the asking price. I doubt he'll find anyone willing to pay much more than $100.

Now you guys might hate me:
At Olds Homecoming in Lansing several years ago, there was a former Olds employee at the swap meet selling stuff from his basement. I picked up not just the rear speaker as in the eBay auction, but an entire U80 retrofit kit. It included the speaker, the wire to run from dash to rear deck, and even a sparkly new-chrome fader **** to put on the radio in place of the jumper wire. Seems like there were some other necessary doodads. Everything was completely mint. I paid $25 for it.
Last year at homecoming bought "70 green console for 50, complete set of rally II's for 100 with decent tires and a rally wheel center cap with mount for 60, one guy gave me a set of door pulls, just needed one top pad. Passed on a nice am/fm for 125, should have brought more $$$.
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:16 PM

On another note. I have had many old original used speakers work just fine. also had a couple NOS that work just fine. Our 62 Jetfire has the original speaker and also works good. (not much base to the old AM radio)
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
On another note. I have had many old original used speakers work just fine. also had a couple NOS that work just fine. Our 62 Jetfire has the original speaker and also works good. (not much base to the old AM radio)

I haven't - gets hot inside the car during July and August and I like my Led Zep loud.