Why don't we see this?

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM

Why don't we see this?

Cruise-ins, Car shows, around town. Why don't I see more oldsmobiles? I'm thinking... getting rare? Any answers?
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Trying to remember member

Far as I can tell, there has been proportionately about the same number of Oldsmobiles out there for the last 20 years.
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Last show I went to there were over 300 cars........2 Olds A bodys 1 G body and thats it..........Jerr
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
olds..older..oldest

Ontario...Olds country?

Went to my first local show here and was happy to see: 2 Cutlii from the 60's and 3 70's,2 Toronados, a 98 along with my 69 442! There were only30-40 cars ,so I thought that was a respectable Olds presence for early in our season. Will try out some of the regional gettogethers and keep track, though we ARE part of a pretty exclusive fraternity compared to the peasant Chebby masses!...Derek
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Geezer

Different places, different numbers of Oldsmobiles. Most people in the car hobby choose to have a car that reminds them most of a given period in their life. Chances are if you borrowed the old man's car for a date from time to time, that's what you'll probably have. On the other hand some satiate their desire for the car they couldn't have when a teen or young adult.

Of course there are a lot of people suffering from the excessive reading of "Chebby's R Us" magazine (aka Hot Rod) when young and foolish.
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:14 AM

Angry Ransom attack!!

Every time I step out of the house I keep tripping over the damn things...they're every where..cheeze Louise
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by IDAS 69
Cruise-ins, Car shows, around town. Why don't I see more oldsmobiles? I'm thinking... getting rare? Any answers?
Keep in mind that performance Oldsmobiles were never commonplace. At the peak of the musclecar years, there were about ten times as many GTOs sold as 442s. There's also the chicken and egg problem. There were more Chevys built, so aftermarket and resto houses make more parts for them. Since parts (and magazine articles) are more readily available, more people build them.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Around here they are few are far between to the point when your are in your olds and you see another you honk and wave like long lost brothers. At the local Friday night rod gathering, my 57 and a 41 are usually the only ones who show up.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM

I go to the BOP race every year at English Town. Its the only Olds race in the tristate area. They get about 80-100 Buicks 100-120 Pontiacs and 5-6 Oldsmobiles(no its not a typo!!) E-Town used to have an Olds day but the turn out was so lame they canceled it about 4 yrs ago. Just seemsd there is not any support from the Olds community. And we wonder why we get so little after market support. JKaz
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM

I like being in the minority, if it were the other way around Oldsmobiles as common as Chevys and the later as scarce as Olds I would have to own a Chevrolet.

Yuck!
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM

I just went to a cruise night on Sunday at the local Sam' Club/Wally World parking lot in Seekonk, MA. I was pleased to see the Oldsmobile's that showed up. There were maybe 15+ there out of maybe 150+ cars. Didn't get to talk to any of the owners to see if any were on this forum. Wish I had my camera. Next time I go, the camera comes too.
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Same in Dallas... 200 cars, no Olds. 280 cars, 2 Olds.
Best number: 75 cars, 4 Olds!

Yes, I like being different and having people see them who have never seen them before!
I remember one young kid ask, "What's Oldsmobile? Sounds old..."

On the 4th at the Cedar Isle beach club, I overheard a drunk guy explain to his young friends: "That's an Oldsmobile 442 baby! That thing will get up and run, I guarantee ya!"
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Randy C.

The last show I went to had only one Oldsmobile in some 100 or so cars. I have the good fortune of going to our South Sound 442 Club Car Show and picnic this Sunday, July 12th, in Centralia, WA. The good part about this show is that, if it isn't Oldsmobile, it won't be there!
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM

There are so many cruise nights around me and they are all 90% Chevy and 9% Ford/MOPAR. I absolutely LOVE pulling in with a 442. She brings them all over. I wouldn't change it for the world.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM

Great answers...

I'm proud to have something (Awesome car) that everybody doesn't. I've always been an Olds man. 1970 cutlass"s", 1974 cutlass, 76 cutlass now my Fav...1969 442
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Around here they are few are far between to the point when your are in your olds and you see another you honk and wave like long lost brothers. At the local Friday night rod gathering, my 57 and a 41 are usually the only ones who show up.
Yep! In Germany it's even worse! Any US car meet you go to, it's about 2/3 Mustangs, most of the rest are assorted GM, a few MOPAR. The most I've seen are maybe 5 Olds at the last meet in Sanem, Luxembourg (about 500 cars) & I've yet to see another 442 ANY year ANYWHERE!

Ralph

Last edited by German442; July 10th, 2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: add info
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:40 AM

this is part of the reason why i like oldsmobile. i feel it is also the reason for the olds crowd being such a good family of people. it's not just every tom dick and harry that owns one.

there isn't a small town anywhere in this country that does not have an old comaro in it. there are several towns that dont have an old oldsmobile.
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
that's how it is in my area. the exciting thing now is, everyone in this town knows that i am the only oldsmobile man around so they call me fast when they see an oldsmobile for sale.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by kaz442
I go to the BOP race every year at English Town. Its the only Olds race in the tristate area. They get about 80-100 Buicks 100-120 Pontiacs and 5-6 Oldsmobiles(no its not a typo!!) E-Town used to have an Olds day but the turn out was so lame they canceled it about 4 yrs ago. Just seemsd there is not any support from the Olds community. And we wonder why we get so little after market support. JKaz
x2 the all Olds race out here is B.O.P. now this year.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM

When ya see one show 'em the "V' sign.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DrOlds.jpg (42.0 KB, 18 views)
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:14 PM

You got it, Jamesbo..........
Old July 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM

My feeling is that the more rare the vehicle the more value it will have. I also believe that the Olds muscle cars are just beginning to be recognized as real collectables.

Olds has the benefit of performance and style. Many might argue with me, but I think that style is not something generally attributed to many of the Chevelles Mopar cars.

If you're old enough to remember the Olds and Buick line were the cars just below the Cadillac line. In those days only doctors and lawyers drove Cadillacs, but if you were reasonbably successful then you might be seen in an Olds or Buick. Only diplomats and incredibly rich drove a Mercedes.
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Attended my first cruise-in last night at the Nifty-50ees rally in Spring, Texas. Per earlier comments, my 442 was one of only two Oldsmobiles that I saw out of probably 300+ vehicles. The other Olds was a '70 Cutlass S with a hole in the hood and the biggest supercharger I have ever seen sticking out the top.
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Weasel, makes you feel special doesn't it. Thats why we own these fine machines
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I have only been to about 5 shows this year but they where big. The most olds I saw at one time was 2 or 3. But over the past month or so I have seen about 5 different olds on the road, I guess people want to ride them not have them just sit there.
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by freebird72
I have only been to about 5 shows this year but they where big. The most olds I saw at one time was 2 or 3. But over the past month or so I have seen about 5 different olds on the road, I guess people want to ride them not have them just sit there.
After being in the Shopping Center Busines for over 30 years. The last place I want to be camped out is a parking lot with a beach chair.

I know alot of people like it, it's just not my "cup of tea."
Old July 12th, 2009, 03:48 PM

I go to the cruise in for about half an hour or so check out the cars then I'm gone. Rather be driving then sitting.
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM

The cruise-in was OK, but it's not exactly my bag, either, as I quickly found out. Left in less than an hour. The only person I spent any time talking with was the other Olds guy. So many of the car owners seemed to gather in groups and ignore the sightseers.

I have always been sort of out-going and like meeting strangers. What I have really enjoyed in the short time I have been driving the 442 is the attention I get every day going to church, restaurants, grocery store, etc. Driving a "regular" vehicle isn't much fun. I hate just tooling around in a Honda or something and have people just sort of look right through me. Driving a classic Olds, going to Home Depot becomes almost an adventure.

Maybe it's a personality flaw that I don't want to be seen as some run-of-mill retired geek. Anyone with dough can buy a BMW or a Vette and arrive in grandiose fashion at the golf course, but strangers aren't going to come over and strike up a conversation that always begins with "What year is that?" and includes "My uncle/cousin/roommate had one just like it, except it was blue/red/yellow and had stripes down the ...whatever". I have really been somewhat surprized at the number of younger folks that have shown an interest, not just oldsters like me.

I really like my "new" 442 and plan to drive the wheels off of it.
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:33 PM

We love to ride...Cruise-ins #^&#. Get together once a month up here Greer S.C. All types, classics, rats, trucks etc. We try to ride convoy stye.(gets more attention) If anyone interested form upstate S.C. ( Greenville- Spartanburg area) contact dgray2@m-petfilm.com

ps.......Olds do rock
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by weasel
but strangers come over and strike up a conversation that always begins with "What year is that?" and includes "My uncle/cousin/roommate had one just like it, except it was blue/red/yellow and had stripes down the ...whatever".
With me it seems it's always...ALWAYS....."You wanna sell that?".

I'm getting very sick of it I hear it so much.

Do you SEE a for sale sign on it? NO? Then DON'T ASK!!!
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Senior Moment Member

I see no and I mean no Oldsmobiles at my smallish cruise hangout. Since I have a small block 4 speed and the car is nice, it draws alot of attention. Mostly Chevys and a couple of Ponchos.
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM

The last two shows I took my 75 Supreme to,I was the ONLY Olds. I was only 1 of three in the last three shows I have been to this year. I think it's pretty cool to not follow the crowd,and so do the judges.

Brad
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by brad75
The last two shows I took my 75 Supreme to,I was the ONLY Olds. I was only 1 of three in the last three shows I have been to this year. I think it's pretty cool to not follow the crowd,and so do the judges.

Brad
Know what you mean! Been to 3 meets this year-
1st meet ~350 cars, a '53 Olds, '76 88 & me. 1st place, "street machine"
2nd meet ~300 cars, me & 1 other. 1st place, "muscle car".
3rd meet ! 550 cars, me, '66 Cutlass 'vert, '76 88 2-dr. 2nd place, original 60's.

Europe just doesn't see these cars!

Ralph
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:11 AM

In our town, seems that there are a few around, although still not many. Local shows are about 150 cars, and there are usually 3-4 olds - a variety of 50s, 60s, and 70s. The big shows here may draw out a few more, but usually less than 10.

At car shows, I usually rarely sit much. Busy walking around, looking at other cars, opening my wallet for my daughters to buy food and drinks. If it gets to the point where I'm sitting much, I won't be going. And I like taking the car out for drives whenever the weather's pretty good, like last night...
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
My feeling is that the more rare the vehicle the more value it will have.
I'll have to respectfully disagree. Green four door sedans with green interiors are rare. Doesn't make them valuable. Some things are rare for a reason (see: Pontiac Aztek).
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up vintage car popularity (and value???)

In my eariler days I owned two cars of immense popularity today. I had a '57 Chevy in college and a '67 GTO when I got out of the Army. In my 30's I owned two '69 Cutlass's. Bought the first one in '74 from a neighbor for $1000, drove it 100k miles, and sold it for $1500 in '86. (see attach.) The other was almost identical to the 442 I now own, but a Cutlass S.

When deciding how to relive my glory days, I chose to acquire a '69 Olds over the other popular cars. In my opinion the Olds is a better designed, better constructed, and more reliable vehicle. Maybe the benefit of being a few years newer, but mostly I think better engineering in the Olds division. I know I paid less for the my "new" 442 than I would have paid for a 57 Chev or 67 GTO in similar condition. I think that's a good thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
woodedge 73015.jpg (93.8 KB, 20 views)
Old July 15th, 2009, 05:12 PM

Good thread. Lets keep it going. Now to my most FAV car of all time...A 1970 Cutlass "s", yellow, black top, buckets, auto,8-track, a/c...etc. This was my first new car EVER. Boy, I was so proud. When I sold it in 1971 to go into service. I lost it forever. I've searched the internet etc for 3 1/2 yrs now. I've yet to even find a picture. Anyone have one? Or a car?
Thanks
Old July 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM

Good thread. Lets keep it going. Now to my most FAV car of all time...A 1970 Cutlass "s", yellow, black top, buckets, auto,8-track, a/c...etc. This was my first new car EVER. Boy, I was so proud. When I sold it in 1971 to go into service. I lost it forever. I've searched the internet etc for 3 1/2 yrs now. I've yet to even find a picture. Anyone have one? Or a car?
Thanks
D@mn! Your story is almost the same as mine, except It was a '65 (see Avatar!) & I "rewarded" myself last year! Got to keep the first one 8 mo (!) before I had to give it up 'cause Uncle was calling!

Ralph
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM

My old time hot rod buddy was getting a new Chevelle SS back in '69. To try and keep up I bought a used '67 442 (traded in my '56 Chev 210 sedan with 396 motor). Sold the '67 in '71 in order to buy a new '71 442. After that it was pretty much Olds for me: a '73 98 biz car, a '79 biz 88, a '84 biz 88, a early 90's biz 88, a '96 biz Aurora. Everyone of those cars gave me great service. I always wanted that '71 442 back and have recently bought a nice '71 which I have restored to be like the '71 that I had-white w oai hood, ps, pb, a/c. It is real nice & dependable-I took it on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year. It is true that you often want what you had. In this case, I do have it.
Old July 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
442=A perfect 10

Down here in NC it is kind of rare too seeing more than one or two Oldses at a car show. Oldsmobiles originally sold in NC were kind of rare. But as more as folks from around the country move here,especially from the larger population centers, we are starting to see a few more Oldsmobiles.
When I lived on Long Island there were always an abundance of Olds performance cars at any given meet.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; July 20th, 2009 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Why don't we see this?