General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who's going to Englishtown?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM

Who's going to Englishtown?

Anyone going to Raceway Park, Englishtown NJ swap meet this coming weekend? I'll be there in spots RD66-67 on Friday and Saturday vending. Look for my Oldsmobile 442 banner and stop in to introduce yourself and say HI!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM

I'm hoping to stop down there on Saturday, not sure yet. If I do, I'll be sure to stop by your spots. Good luck!
Old September 22nd, 2013, 10:22 PM

That swap meet has gotten so bad in the past couple years. 90% of the parts there can be bought out of a Jegs or Summit catalog, unless you are looking for a lawn mower or a chandelier for your living room. Save your money and time for Hershey coming up
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:02 PM

Unless you own a 59 that might be true, but there's not much for 68-72 Cutlass guy's in Hershey. At least there wasnt the past few times I've been there.

Im vending Englishtown because its close, and Im bringing some parts that are decent and some pretty nice stuff that I'd use on my own car if I were building one to show.

There may be a better chance to sell more at Carlisle, but its twice the price and 3 times as far.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:24 PM

I am hoping to be there Friday, it is better than a day at work. Yep it surely went down hill over the years but every once in a while something cool Olds related turns up. But then ya never know when ya may need another fishing pole or aquarium! Weather is looking good. In these parts I would rate Carlisle #1 for parts then Hershey and last Etown. The effort needed to cover all of Hershey is insane for one day.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:52 PM
2 '66 98's

I plan on going Friday but can't really make any positive plans since my mother-in-law is down to her last breaths and things could change any time.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I plan to be there all day Friday.

I love Englishtown. It's one of the greatest flea markets - You never know what could pop up, and if you're fast, sometimes you can get some great deals.

If all you're looking for is highfalutin' classical an-tee-que parts, then, yeah, you're barkin' up the wrong tree there, but if you need tools, equipment, or something you haven't even thought of yet, then E-town is for you.

A selection of things I've picked up over the past few years:
Set of slightly used, rebuilt #6 heads (with valves, springs, covers): $75
Working R-12 recovery / filtration / recycling unit: $35
Several sets of aftermarket gauges, new in the package with all mounting hardware: $10-$15
Pair of 400W mercury vapor lamps (like from a huge gym): $20
Working high-end 10" woofer with enclosure (sells for about $300): $10
Hundred-foot rolls of automotive wire: $5-$10 each
... etc.

- Eric

ps: sorry to hear about your mother in law, cruiser.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:59 PM

Where is this hallowed ground of car parts?

Far from montreal?
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Where is this hallowed ground of car parts?

Far from montreal?
Its this weekend in New Jersey. You can find deals if you look. But the real deal is the following weekend at Carlisle Pennsylvania. Its twice the size of this weekends swap meet in NJ and there's a lot more parts there for us Olds guy's.
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Carlisle is great, and has become incredibly huge, but it's lost that "Mad Max" flavor that it had years ago (like back in the '70s and early '80s), which Englishtown still has - all kinds of cobbled together small-engine vehicles rolling around belching smoke, ancient generators roaring, neat grilling on 55-gallon drum halves, drunks hanging around their fires or barbecues who seem like they'd rather argue with you than sell you anything...

Since Carlisle became neater and more regulated, and since Hershey has always been so completely uptight, I think Englishtown is just more fun.

- Eric
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Carlisle is great, and has become incredibly huge, but it's lost that "Mad Max" flavor that it had years ago (like back in the '70s and early '80s), which Englishtown still has - all kinds of cobbled together small-engine vehicles rolling around belching smoke, ancient generators roaring, neat grilling on 55-gallon drum halves, drunks hanging around their fires or barbecues who seem like they'd rather argue with you than sell you anything...

- Eric
LOL You must have run into my brother! He's always vended there and it sounds like you described him to a T! LOL
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM

Is it like a car show where you park your cars on the grass and people are selling stuff?

We dont have those kinds of vending things up here in Montreal. It might be a great oppotunity for me to get some good parts.
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There is a car show portion, Tony, but honestly, I've never really looked at it - takes time away from lookin' at the parts.

I don't have any pictures of my own, but here are a couple I found:

There's no grass - it's all on the paved parking and staging areas for the racetrack.

Here are maps of the two halves of the flea market (on on each side of the track):

- Eric
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:14 AM

WOH,

its.. huge
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
which Englishtown still has - all kinds of cobbled together small-engine vehicles rolling around belching smoke, ancient generators roaring, neat grilling on 55-gallon drum halves, drunks hanging around their fires or barbecues who seem like they'd rather argue with you than sell you anything...

- Eric
Dont forget about the signs you will see, "buy a rock get a free beer" and "girls, show us your t-ts, $1.00"
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Right, Joe - How could I forget those? Wouldn't be E-town without 'em!

- Eric
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Dont forget about the signs you will see, "buy a rock get a free beer" and "girls, show us your t-ts, $1.00"
Some of those girls has no teeth
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
jfb

hey tony if you can do the real east coast thing and run man we all need this exposure all over the us! there are too many posers out there buddy.
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:16 PM

Had a good Friday and Saturday at the Swap meet. Spent today at the New England Olds Club show in Berlin, Ct. instead of vending.

It was great to meet some of the guy's from the forum, Eric and Bigoldscruiser, thanks for stopping by to say Hi!

A beautiful sunrise on Friday, and between Friday and Saturday, most of the items in these photo's went to other Oldsmobile enthusiasts that were looking for parts for their cars. Made me feel great to help so many others out looking for things they needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
swap meet 056.jpg (66.7 KB, 40 views)
swap meet 040.jpg (141.7 KB, 34 views)
swap meet 043.jpg (129.7 KB, 42 views)
swap meet 044.jpg (113.4 KB, 41 views)
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
Had a good Friday and Saturday at the Swap meet. Spent today at the New England Olds Club show in Berlin, Ct. instead of vending.

It was great to meet some of the guy's from the forum, Eric and Bigoldscruiser, thanks for stopping by to say Hi!

A beautiful sunrise on Friday, and between Friday and Saturday, most of the items in these photo's went to other Oldsmobile enthusiasts that were looking for parts for their cars. Made me feel great to help so many others out looking for things they needed.
Looks like a nice spread. I see a few things that would've tempted me....so I guess I'm glad I didn't make it down there.
Couldn't ask for better weather.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:04 AM

Anybody going to be at Englishtown next weekend?
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM

I hope to be there, cant miss it and as said sure beats a day at work!

Last edited by Oldsmaniac; April 3rd, 2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I will be.

We have a space, but just use it as a pit stop.

We generally go on Friday, maybe a quick drive through Thursday, occasionally a second spin on Saturday.

Will you be anywhere in particular?

- Eric
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:44 PM

Im actually not far from Englishtown, and im in need of a good 6 foot section of 1/4 inch 3/8 flared line. I remember my dad saying inline tube has a stand there, are they going to be there this time and would they probably have a piece like this? this meet starts when Thursday 4/10 or Friday 4/11? itd be great to find my part and meet some of yous guys from the forum, let me know, thanks!
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you're in the "old side" of the track, I believe that ILT is usually on the left end, right next to the "Start" end of the grandstand.

- Eric
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by 63super88
Im actually not far from Englishtown, and im in need of a good 6 foot section of 1/4 inch 3/8 flared line. I remember my dad saying inline tube has a stand there, are they going to be there this time and would they probably have a piece like this? this meet starts when Thursday 4/10 or Friday 4/11? itd be great to find my part and meet some of yous guys from the forum, let me know, thanks!
Your local parts store may have the line you need and they are pretty easy to bend. You can also buy the tubing in a roll and purchase the fittings and flare the line yourself if need be but brake lines are usually double flared.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:03 PM

they really don't man, napa don't have the long lengths I need, the local store I usually go too for old stuff don't have none, and places like autozone and such only have like 4 foot lengths. I figure if inline tube there would have some line the length and size I need that would really be great. and I need some probably for a bad trans line now too. will they be there this time, and do they carry long lengths of line like this with them?
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:02 AM

You could also get a connector/union and put 2 pieces together. I often do this for the long rear brake line because its easier to install in 2 pieces. I am not sure if inline tube sets up at Etown and maybe all of their stuff is premade for specific vehicles and packaged. For trans lines I sometimes braze 2 pieces together with a a torch after expanding one end and sliding into the other.
Old April 4th, 2014, 06:28 AM

Swat meet

I will be there and stop by your tent i hope you have enough rocks to sell
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Englishtown vs. Carlisle

Sadly, Englishtown clearly isn't the show it used to be -- and, of course, anybody who is anybody will be at Carlisle (this year -- because of Easter -- 1 1/2 weeks later...); but like Eric pointed out -- it is the beginning of the season -- sometimes those are the best deals to be had -- because they were just "unearthed" this winter....
As we all know -- "you gotta' be in it to win it" -- and if you are unlucky like me -- you know the one time you "blow it off" -- you'll here of a deal you would have liked that you missed out on....
Craig, here, Mobile Parts, and if you're coming, stop by my spread....
At Englishtown, I'm in R I 23 -- just behind the P.C. Richard spread and trailer.....
At Spring Carlisle -- I'm in I I 118 - 119 -- middle of the Infield, Row I...
Good luck, good luck hunting, and BRING GOOD WEATHER, please!!!!!!!
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Just got back a couple of hours ago. I can say it was typical E-town. Snow blowers, tools, lawn equipment, chain saws, building supplies, boat stuff, socks and underwear, toys and car parts. Olds stuff scarce as usual, did see a 64 lft fender needing a patch. saw a few 70-72 doors and fenders and bumpers for the cutlass. A couple of 72 cutlass grills were spotted a 77 waterfall nose and some G body stuff. Saw some black 70 tailights. I saw a few torker intakes for the 455 and a offy dual quad tunnel ram manifold. There were a few SS1 wheels there and I saw 2 69 doors and a pair of 69 fenders needing work. That is pretty much it. The weathermen maybe killed it some as they predicted showers Am and PM. The crowd seemed down some for a Friday and a little less vendors seemed to be there. I did not part with a cent which is ok. I have cash to lay out at Carlisle!
Old April 14th, 2014, 11:23 AM

That is the problem at Englishtown

Yup, that is the problem at Englishtown -- boat oars, fishing pools, weed whackers, underwear, and 433 "cheapie tool" vendors -- but there A R E
atill some of us there -- and Oldsmaniac, you never stopped by my spread
and could have seen some BEAUTIFUL N.O.S. Oldsmobile parts!!!!!!

Eric from Maine was there -- and I'm going to create a new thread to tell you fellow CO'ers about him......

See ya' all @ Carlisle -- I I 118 - 119.... Happy Easter and Happy Passover
to all...... Craig
Old April 14th, 2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
Yup, that is the problem at Englishtown -- boat oars, fishing pools, weed whackers, underwear, and 433 "cheapie tool" vendors -- but there A R E
atill some of us there -- and Oldsmaniac, you never stopped by my spread
and could have seen some BEAUTIFUL N.O.S. Oldsmobile parts!!!!!!

Eric from Maine was there -- and I'm going to create a new thread to tell you fellow CO'ers about him......

See ya' all @ Carlisle -- I I 118 - 119.... Happy Easter and Happy Passover
to all...... Craig
I did see your spot but did not need any mechainical parts for the cars. Also I am usually "on the move" and dont usually stop for chatting. You have a nice selection of parts for sure and i love the Blue Point ignition parts. I hope to be at Carlisle next Thursday.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:23 PM
2 '66 98's

Craig, I stopped by your booth but didn't get to talk CO since you were heavily engaged talking parts with another fellow and telling him about sending stuff to Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. I did take a flyer and your card. I'll see you another time.
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
... I stopped by your booth but didn't get to talk CO since you were heavily engaged talking parts with another fellow and telling him about sending stuff to Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
[twilight_zone_music]

Okay, that is totally weird, because I think that that other guy was me.

[/twilight_zone_music]

It was great to see Craig, and I was impressed by his stock and his command of the various products and lines out there. I know that nobody can know everything, but he sure looked to be as close as I've ever seen to being a "one-man interchange manual."

I just posted a word about him on the "Excellent Sellers" thread.
He's legit, and has a whole lot of NOS parts.

- Eric
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Sorry Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I am sorry guys, if you stopped by, and I was busy doing too much
"chatting".... I know I can talk a lot -- but it's because I L O V E all the
"good stuff" that does develop from lifetime friendships....
And, yeah, "Rancho Cucamunga" has gotta be the coolest name for a city
that I have ever heard of ----
Hope, next time you stop by, we can all "chat" -- at the very least -- because I -- D O -- like meeting all you guys -- that is at least half the fun
-- and keep in mind --- FREE cold waters to all of you @ Carlisle -- don't spend their $ 4.25 for a bottle of water -- TAKE mine for FREE!!!!!!!!!
(isn't that the way the world should be?!?!?!)
Yours, Craig..........