General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who is Fisher?

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Who is Fisher?

Body by Fisher. who is this and what does it mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
summer09 043.jpg (57.4 KB, 6 views)
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Body
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Trying to remember member

Good link, Olds64.
What may not be clear to the younger guys that aren't that familiar with automobile history is the early existence of the differences of the automobile body and chassis manufacturers.
The nameplate that went on the car was the automobile company that made the chassis. The bodies were often made by more or less independent "coach makers" as they had more experience making (horse drawn) carriages and such. Some stunning early century cars often got more of their bling from the bodywork than from the basic car itself.
Fisher Body became a division of General Motors, but over time still carried their nameplate on the bodies of GM vehicles, even though the distinction of being a separate coach maker had disappeared.
Okay, any of you other *old* guys can chime in!
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Captain of my ship

Fisher

Yep they were definately a big company. My dad had a 23 Model t and a 29 Model A Leatherback and both bodies were built by fisher. The 23 was built in canada , both the chassis and body. One thing I did not see in the wiki was that when Ford built a bigger plant around the time they started building Model A's , fisher moved into ford's model T plant in Detroit. If I am not mistaken they were leasing it to Fisher for a whopping 7 million annually
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM

hey wmachine and olds64... are you guys just really old with all your great memory intact or do you guys regularly study Oldsmobile history...maybe a mix of the two?
Anyway, much respect to each.
Before I was even a member I was reading your stuff around...just my dumb way of bowing and saying thanks.
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by aholiday
hey wmachine and olds64... are you guys just really old with all your great memory intact or do you guys regularly study Oldsmobile history...maybe a mix of the two?
Anyway, much respect to each.
Before I was even a member I was reading your stuff around...just my dumb way of bowing and saying thanks.
Thanks. In my case, it is a lot of study. No memory. (Just kidding about the memory.....I think. Actually my memory isn't the best in the world, but I do have a ton of resource material I've accumulated over the years and Olds research has been and continues to be a "labor of love" for me.

Heck, I don't even know what old is any more. I'm 55 and and I don't feel like I'm old, so I don't think that's old. I'll let you know when I get there, though.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Captain of my ship

Question 55 old??

Better not be old cause I am not far behind. My difference is that my mind feels like 30 but my body is trying to convince my it's way past time to retire.It has become quite a battle but I am banking on my mind. considering the accumulation of Olds manuals you now have you can always have input in this forum for many years to come. hopefully you are still trying to expand your library
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:20 AM

I hope to always be able to learn and share.
I'm also trying to document as much as possible. Too much information is already lost. It would be nice to be able to preserve the information for future generations.

Same with the cars. The way I look at it, we are not owners. We are privileged caretakers. Our cars will still be here long after we are gone.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Captain of my ship

You are right about caretakers for our cars. I would love to have mine on the road now but I am having a couple of minor snags that don't allow that now. I have a thread in the electrical section and hope to get the problem solved soon.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK THERE ARE MANY LIKE MYSELF THAT DEPEND ON OLDSMANIACS LIKE YOURSELF
Seriously I consider mine like preserving history and hope that my son will carry it on long after I am able
Old July 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'm 55 and and I don't feel like I'm old, so I don't think that's old. I'll let you know when I get there, though.
"Double Nickles" ain't old.

But thanks for all you add to the forum. Your resoucres are amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
clapping.gif (47.1 KB, 2 views)
Old July 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
"Double Nickles" ain't old.

But thanks for all you add to the forum. Your resoucres are amazing.
X2 My thanks as well