General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Wheel Decisions

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Wheel Decisions

I sold the 17 inch Torq thrusts because I was tired of seeing them everywhere and on everything. 1 thing I love about olds is they are not everywhere so why have wheels that are. I put on some staggered wheels 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. gave the car a different look and that is what I am looking for.... I know most dont like it but oh well... I took them off and put the stocks on not because I did not like it but just not what I am looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
stocks1.jpg (64.0 KB, 240 views)
1staggered@pdf2.jpg (83.2 KB, 264 views)
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Wheel Observation

Originally Posted by Olds luvr
I sold the 17 inch Torq thrusts because I was tired of seeing them everywhere and on everything. 1 thing I love about olds is they are not everywhere so why have wheels that are. I put on some staggered wheels 18's in the front and 20's in the rear. gave the car a different look and that is what I am looking for.... I know most dont like it but oh well... I took them off and put the stocks on not because I did not like it but just not what I am looking for.
The 18/20s look ok to me for the most part. The only thing I find detracting is the number of spokes they have. Not a criticism by any stretch - my Sonata's winter tires are on 11 spoke Azera wheels. For some reason though, I think the brightness of the wheel draws the eye away from the rest of the car.

While I like SS111s, I agree they don't really pop on your car. Have you thought about changing the color to white that will match your top and interior? It might be that extra zip you were looking for? All things told, it doesn't cost a lot to paint 2 of them white and see how one side looks. Just a thought...

I'm glad you are happy with your car. I would be too. I think I need a vert
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Thanks Alan. So are you thinking paint the Stocks white or the others? I sold the 18's and 20's already. I was thinking a black wheel and a white lip but I have no clue. I like somthing with a dish and that compliments the car well and blends in with the look that's why I was thinking black and white as well. Guess I will keep playing until I find the right size, style and color.
Maybe leave the stocks black and have the trim rings and bezels painted white as they are not in great shape...
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

How about this?

Thanks Alan. So are you thinking paint the Stocks white or the others? I sold the 18's and 20's already. I was thinking a black wheel and a white lip but I have no clue. I like somthing with a dish and that compliments the car well and blends in with the look that's why I was thinking black and white as well. Guess I will keep playing until I find the right size, style and color.
Maybe leave the stocks black and have the trim rings and bezels painted white as they are not in great shape...
Actually I was thinking of making the SS111s white and leaving the trim rings alone. Here's a few more thoughts to bounce around on.

Think about powder coating the entire wheel bright silver. Lots of options with powder coating and that will make them appear as 'chromed'. For that you don't need trim rings or reveal bezels.

Try outliing the raised area of the wheel only in white and leave the lower area in black. Kind of like the idea of the SS1 with blacked out areas. You could use this with or without trim rings, (eg: Rallye 350s didn't need trim rings). If you used it without trim rings, it would give the illusion of having a much bigger wheel. The reveal hidden by the trim ring is quite large.

If you know someone who is good at photoshop, have them try a bunch of these suggestions before you committ time and $$ to the project.

IMO, the trim rings are the option you might consider losing.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
71 cutlass convertible

SS1's ? I have them on my black conv. and other colors. I know some company is now making them in larger sizes.

Larry
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:03 PM
72 Olds CS

IDK I like torque thrusts just like everybody else apparently LOL

i think like you say black wheel but a polished lip instead of white... OLDS are covered in chrome so follow the theme w the rims too IMHO
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
IDK I like torque thrusts just like everybody else apparently LOL

i think like you say black wheel but a polished lip instead of white... OLDS are covered in chrome so follow the theme w the rims too IMHO
RR, I think the point Olds luvr was trying to make is that he wants to go away from the torque thrusts. He obviously likes them or wouldn't have put them on his car in the first place; so we all agree that torque thrusts are a classy wheel and will be an easy fit on any of these old cars.

If you look at the car in question, it's not covered in chrome. Bumpers are about it. Not even wheel opening moldings or rockers. If going for the black wheel, I would be inclined to lose the trim rings, and try a white lip instead. It would match the striping on the car quite nicely if there was a fat stripe and a thin stripe. Keep the center cap and 5 wheel reveals.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Ben

the car sat too high for those last set of wheels.
Had you lowered it another 1" it might have looked ok.

Personally 17/18 is about as large as i'd go. I think i'd be looking for a 5 spoke wheel of some sort as well. Doesn't have to be a tq style, but 5 spoke just looks right.
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Ben, I tend to agree. I was thinking even maybe 19s all around. Even thought about finding the chrome 15's that came on the 80's Hurst. or staggered 18's and 19's or 17 and 18's or just 18's lol.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Yeah the SS2's painted black look nice but they would really POP if you painted them agent silver metallic. With the trim rings & wheel rings chrome/ stainless they would give you the look you want. I did it to my SS2's on my 71 Cutlass Supreme at never looked back.
Just though this might help. You Cutlass Supreme looks great!!!!
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:47 PM
car guy

The perfect combo is 18 / 19 but its very expensive to do 19's. An 18/18 is my first affordable choice but the right 18 / 20 can look good too. The stance might have needed some fine adjustment but the the 18 / 20 size combo and style of wheel looked great.

If you have to add color to custom wheels do it with black. DO NOT paint anything but stock steel wheels white.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Hey Richard Any other thoughts on what style?, My biggest thing was maybe too much stagger, If I would have dropped the front 1" I think I would have liked it more. Since I do not want to lower it I may go 19's or 18's all around. I also thought that the rears 20x10 and 275/40's were just a little too snug, no rubs just snug. I did like the look, just not the ultimate look... maybe black 19's will be it.
Old September 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM

I like stock but here is Chip Foose's version of a SS1 wheel.
Attached Images
442 foose wheels.jpg (38.9 KB, 328 views)
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
I like stock but here is Chip Foose's version of a SS1 wheel.
Whatever floats his boat. Personally, I don't care for them
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM

For SSI type wheels in a larger size I like these: http://driverzinc.com/product/newgen-five-hundred/
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Hey Olds Luvr, I really liked the look of the TrqThrusts on your Cutlass. I know they were 17" diameter, but what width were they. What size and brand tires did you have? Thanks.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Max, I liked it too. It was never about that just about getting away from the same rims everyone else had. My rears were 17x10 so I had a nice dish. Rears were 275/40/17 and the fronts were either 17x8 or8.5 with 235/45/17
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:19 PM

I sold the 17 inch Torq thrusts because I was tired of seeing them everywhere and on everything.
Good for you my man. That's the EXACT same reason I didn't buy them.

I put staggered 17 and 18" Foose Legends on my ride.
I personally usually NEVER like anything bigger unless the rim looks right.
Your selection does fit the car well with your stance. I think it looks great!!!!

The factory wheels are just waaaaaay too little for these big cars.
My vote is to keep the 18/20's on it if you ask me.
I think 17" is a minimum these days, plus.......bigger brake options open up.

I got my rims and Nitto 555R tires from Jon @ Driverzinc.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 19th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Aces... you are 18's all around right?
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Nah, I staggered them with 17" up front and 18" in the rear.
I was afraid of going bigger and not liking it......in retrospect, I could have done 18 and 20's.
June25thnewrims3.jpg
You can see my front ride height needs adjustment down a few notches.
After my LSX motor install is complete the springs will be changed.
June25thnewrims4.jpg

One of my FAVORITE rim setups is Muscle Car John's Chevelle.
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/fe...454/index.html

He's on the Gold Coast in Cali. I have to find the really nice pic of his stance.

Here it is.... http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...26&postcount=4
DSC05616.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 19th, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Grown Azz Kid

His rears looked smaller then the 20's I had on mine. Must just be the style.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM

Sorry......I made a mistake.

IT does say those are 18's front and rear in his Chevelle's post.
There's a pic somewhere of 20's on the rear IIRC.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
For SSI type wheels in a larger size I like these: http://driverzinc.com/product/newgen-five-hundred/
Very nice! + good variety of sizes. The finished machining looks impressive
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Those are tight. PERFECT for the guys wanting to keep the OE look but going larger.

Only one manufacturer that I know of was doing SSII and III style for almost $800 a wheel and I thought they were on crack.
These are more reasonably priced....Jon is very good at beating the competition.

I'd like to see these in a size 18" on a 442.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 19th, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:38 AM
car guy

Great looking wheel but anying custom billet is a whole other world in price point. If you are ready to drop 3,000-3500 on tires and wheels keep looking. If you are not wanting to spend that much then you just need to put blinders on and look at the mass produced stuff.

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Those are tight. PERFECT for the guys wanting to keep the OE look but going larger.

Only one manufacturer that I know of was doing SSII and III style for almost $800 a wheel and I thought they were on crack.
These are more reasonably priced....Jon is very good at beating the competition.

I'd like to see these in a size 18" on a 442.
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Nice wheel, nice look and nice style just the way wrong price point for me. I will keep trying wheels out buying and selling if not the right look. I will post more pics as I am going to look at a couple different sets some 18's and then a set of 19's
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
car guy

Nice wheel, nice look and nice style just the way wrong price point for me. I will keep trying wheels out buying and selling if not the right look. I will post more pics as I am going to look at a couple different sets some 18's and then a set of 19's
If you don't like that price take 19" off your list completely.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Ive seen lots of wheels in 19's packages for far less then that. Will they be a more common style yes but still less common then TT's
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:16 PM
car guy

Ive seen lots of wheels in 19's packages for far less then that. Will they be a more common style yes but still less common then TT's
I have yet to see anything not custome made that will look close to right on a Muscle Car. The 19's that are mass produced will be the wrong offset and little to no choice in widths. You might find something for BMW that will bolt on and look good but the bolt pattern in a few millimeters off. I know people are running them but I would not do it personally.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM

I guess the key here is to determine what your price point is realistically.
Another buying point for me is I refuse to ever buy polished aluminum ever again.
Too much of a PITA to clean annually and polish. I want ZERO maintenance.

I will tell you that mine was $2000 and under for tires and rims.
I ended up paying $1800 IIRC for my Foose Legends wrapped in Nitto 555R through DriverzInc.
Look at how cheap they are now......only $265 a rim. http://driverzinc.com/product/foose-legend-onepiece/
He beat EVERYONE's price online. Even the black one's are still $670 a pop.

What do you think of these in 17" for $350 a rim ??? Keepin it old school style but bigger.

Here's another 20" rimmed 442 owner. Not many in 20" can pull off the look right like this.
These look identical to the Foose Legends but they are BOSS rims.
What I dig about these is it's a machined lip and PC'd centers so they are maintenance free!!!

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 20th, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Grown Azz Kid

Aces, I actualy like those...I am into a a nice lip or deeper dish
So here is another question that Richard brings up... BMW wheels 5x120... The difference on our lug pattern is less then pencil lead... Is that difference less then the acceptable QC tolerence on the wheels? I see guys on BMW wheels as well and some have looked pretty good.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Like you, I'm a big fan of BMW rims.

I think BMW is the only manufacturer that has been consistent with putting some effort into their rim designs.
However.....I think you'd need some serious spacers because of the HUGE backspacing difference.
I wouldn't do it myself.

Our cars have a more recessed into the body mounting point, whereas newer cars have mounting points
almost flush with the fenders.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 20th, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:48 PM

What about these?
Attached Images
logo(232).jpg (35.2 KB, 131 views)
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM

I curious as to how old you guys are, I'm 54 and I really can't stand the big rims no tire look on classic cars. They look great on my Scion XB, 18's all around but I couldn't bring myself to do them on my 65. I know it's just personal taste but was curious as to weather age plays in to the huge rim thing.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM

I am inclined to agree with you jag1886 and I am 42. The gray '72 and green '70 above look ok, but I suppose that it is just a matter of personal taste.

Guys who put 21"+ rims on a car like that, I am of the opinion (and we all know what opinions are like) it looks like a rolling juke-box. It's all aesthetics...certainly does not improve ride, handling or safety.

I am not going to bag on someones ride, except maybe that clown car with the 50" whadeveadafuk rims they are.

I prefer stock, but I am curious how this question fleshes out. Wish we could do a poll on this site.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:07 PM

I'm 53 and I think some look good but no more than 18s up front and 20s in the rear. It also really depends on the car they are on. Sometimes 18 has to be the max just for esthetics. But at the same time a set of 15" SSI's look very sharp also with a lot of sidewall.
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Max, I liked it too. It was never about that just about getting away from the same rims everyone else had. My rears were 17x10 so I had a nice dish. Rears were 275/40/17 and the fronts were either 17x8 or8.5 with 235/45/17
Thanks man. Do you know what the backspacing was?
Old September 20th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
I curious as to how old you guys are, I'm 54
I'm 37 but I live in the Chicago burbs. City life and trends vary greatly from other areas.

I do think personally feel the average Olds owners age tends to be 50's+ age range
Every Olds owner I've ever met around Chicago is high 40's through 60's.

I'll dare say that means alot of the Older crowd aren't keen on bigger rims over factory.
Hell from what I've experienced.....most of those same owners don't sway from stock anything.
There is a smaller % of older guys that dig custom rides and bigger rims though.

I've hated 20" rims on Camaro's for years. Still don't care for them.
18"s even took me forever to grow on me. Only SOME styles look good.
Others do look too gaudy.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 20th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
I curious as to how old you guys are, I'm 54 and I really can't stand the big rims no tire look on classic cars. They look great on my Scion XB, 18's all around but I couldn't bring myself to do them on my 65. I know it's just personal taste but was curious as to weather age plays in to the huge rim thing.
I'm 39. At least for a few more days
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Grown Azz Kid

Max, I do not remember what the back spacing was.

On rims its all about syle, some rims are just ugly no matter what size they are. Some styles look better if the rim is biggger and others look better in smaller sizes.

Me, I am open to different looks and styles within reason. I will not go larger then the 20's I had and think it looked good but think they were a little snug and think the 18's in the front looked too small compared to the rear. I think 1 size stagger in my opinion would be the most I would do. Most styles finding an 18 and 19 is not easy so that is my I say maybe 19's all around. I will post more pics with the next style and size. My car is like me and likes new shoes

Quick Reply: Wheel Decisions