General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What have you done to your Oldsmobile today

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2019, 10:36 PM
Phantom Phixer

I nearly finished fileling a newly leaded quarter panel seam.

Old September 17th, 2019, 11:40 AM

I finally got pictures of my repaired 91 OCC. The hood is a one off carbon fiber unit of my own design. I have a BBC under the hood bump.
Old October 1st, 2019, 02:15 PM
Frank Ignachuck

Finally installed seat belts in the '56 Super 88. Now I can take some grandkids for an ice cream! Seatbeltsplus was recommended to me by redoldsman and they are excellent. I wanted the buckle kind like JC Whitney would have sold back in late 60's to retrofit a older car.

Old October 1st, 2019, 03:30 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Glad the seatbelts worked for you Frank.
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Thought I would try this in order to get a bit of cooler air into the breather without the set-up looking too out of place.

The whole set up is dust collector accessories that I picked up at Busy Bee Tools. And it fit perfectly. The end fittings are designed to turn into the hose, the hose is stiff and stays where you bend it. I warmed up one of the end fittings to reshape it too an oval and it slipped right over the end of the snorkel without any fasteners. It's a tight fit. I did drill out a 4" hole in the inner fender for the collector fitting and attached it with self tapping screw.
Total cost was $38.00---LOL

We'll see what the inlet temp is compared to the engine compartment air temp.
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:21 AM
Oldscarnut

I was thinking to do the very same thing...so glad you found the sources and before you let it out, you should have put it in kit form and charge $250! I will be sure to site the engineer on mine! BTW it looks great like it should have been there from the factory! I never figured out how ram air is the same as snorkels in terms of getting cold air in the engine.

Last edited by Chuck Cole; October 4th, 2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: omission
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Hey thanks for the compliments, by the way if you'd like to send me that $250 go right ahead, I'll send the kit immediately.

Cheers....
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Oldscarnut

It's in the mail!
Old October 5th, 2019, 10:23 PM

The guy I bought it from said, " I'm a mechanic. "
BS! SO much to do... beside cosmetics...*sigh*.
Best indicator of the character of the man- " I just filled it up. "
25 miles later I decide to put gas in it: just in case.
Took over 21 gallons.
Oil filter was marked 10/13.
GOod god.
Did the oil service. Retrofitted to R134A. Replaced the beat to shiite original doors sills. A lot of cosmetic cleaning of the interior. Replaced burnt out turn signal bulbs and brake light bulb. Needs a fuel pump-leaking- it arrives Monday. Right lower ball joint is shot. Could probably use a set of good tires all the way around. WIndows don't work from the driver's switch. Horn doesn't work.
THe thing has new glass pacs-need to dump 'em. TOO LOUD!
Old October 6th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Oldscarnut

It sounds like you have a project going there! If it is anything like mine, you will find two more things for everything you set out to fix. I am am convinced that your minds eye cannot handle the full list so you see the bigger things which lead you to the little details. For me, I am not sure I will ever get finished. It seems I will not be satisfied until it is showroom new, with all of the goodies that make it more fun to drive, and my own favorites and not necessarily stock, but stock appearing Good luck with yours!
Old October 6th, 2019, 12:05 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by JonnyO
The guy I bought it from said, " I'm a mechanic. "
BS! SO much to do... beside cosmetics...*sigh*.
Best indicator of the character of the man- " I just filled it up. "
25 miles later I decide to put gas in it: just in case.
Took over 21 gallons.
Oil filter was marked 10/13.
GOod god.
Did the oil service. Retrofitted to R134A. Replaced the beat to shiite original doors sills. A lot of cosmetic cleaning of the interior. Replaced burnt out turn signal bulbs and brake light bulb. Needs a fuel pump-leaking- it arrives Monday. Right lower ball joint is shot. Could probably use a set of good tires all the way around. WIndows don't work from the driver's switch. Horn doesn't work.
THe thing has new glass pacs-need to dump 'em. TOO LOUD!
" I'm a mechanic " ?
Didn't you know . " The shoemaker's kids are always barefoot ! "

Last edited by Charlie Jones; October 6th, 2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Spit shined the Mistress's shoes, dusted off the dash and took the big girl to Cars and Coffee. Parked it near my Miata group so they could see my other side. Good times were had by all.

On a different note I think my accelerator pump is starting to go away again. Bogs just at first and nearly dies in the middle of a intersection..Tedd
Old October 7th, 2019, 09:22 AM

Talking Some truth to that...

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
" I'm a mechanic " ?
Didn't you know . " The shoemaker's kids are always barefoot ! "
Every painter I knew had some wall, somewhere in his house in a state of perpetual "unfinishedness". Every floor installer had at least one piece of molding that needed installation.

In this case, the "mechanic" simply puffed out his chest, made the claim and fancied himself a mechanic.
Just because you know a phillips from a standard doesn't...

The guy had the car for TWO YEARS. I expect to address EVERY mechanical, electrical and suspension related issue within TWO MONTHS.
Needs the wiper fluid system hooked up. Needs the interior door lights replaced/repaired ( don't come on ). Needs right side side marker bulb.
WHo the hell designed the access to the brake lights!? Jeez, what a PITA!
Needs driver's high beam. The fuel pump is leaking. ( Will do today or tomorrow, God willing )
There's an oil 'weep' that needs to be addressed. Maybe more than one.
But like I said, I'll have it all addressed within two months.

Last edited by JonnyO; October 7th, 2019 at 09:22 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old October 7th, 2019, 08:53 PM

Fuel pump replacement +...

Originally Posted by JonnyO
Every painter I knew had some wall, somewhere in his house in a state of perpetual "unfinishedness". Every floor installer had at least one piece of molding that needed installation.

In this case, the "mechanic" simply puffed out his chest, made the claim and fancied himself a mechanic.
Just because you know a phillips from a standard doesn't...

The guy had the car for TWO YEARS. I expect to address EVERY mechanical, electrical and suspension related issue within TWO MONTHS.
Needs the wiper fluid system hooked up. Needs the interior door lights replaced/repaired ( don't come on ).
WHo the hell designed the access to the brake lights!? Jeez, what a PITA!
Needs driver's high beam. I'm going to go through the PIA of replacing all the tail light bulbs since what I pulled out was a brass piece of crap-rather than nickel.
There's an oil 'weep' that needs to be addressed. Maybe more than one.
But like I said, I'll have it all addressed within two months.

Old October 18th, 2019, 05:46 PM

Repaired wiring so now the passenger window rolls down from driver's side. WOOHOO! ( Now I can hand out scooby snacks to neighborhood dogs.
Got the interior lights to work when opening driver's side door.
Need to still do right lower ball joint ( have the joint-just not the time to do job ), repair wiper system and fix horn. Am thinking of getting one of those tacky "Godfather tune" horns. :-) That or a ships horn sound.
Fuel gauge doesn't work right. :-/
That's on the list.
Like Chuck said: It sounds like you have a project going there! If it is anything like mine, you will find two more things for everything you set out to fix. I am am convinced that your minds eye cannot handle the full list so you see the bigger things which lead you to the little details. For me, I am not sure I will ever get finished. It seems I will not be satisfied until it is showroom new, with all of the goodies that make it more fun to drive, and my own favorites and not necessarily stock, but stock appearing Good luck with yours!

I hear ya, Mr. Chuck!
Old October 18th, 2019, 06:12 PM

Had a new drive shaft built to replace the old rubber sleeved two piece unit on my 64 F85.
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:51 AM

Finally lowered my worthless piece of junk down from some wood blocks. It will sit unused till springtime. Come spring I'll decide weather to have a junker tow it away or fix it.
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:48 PM
Oldscarnut

2009 Photo of my '63 Restoration before it overtook me!
I did absolutely nothing the entire weekend! I intended to get some more things hooked-up such as power steering pump, and hoses to steering box; gas lines; distributor, wires and spark plugs in; heater core and fabricate a box to make it work; vacuum hoses; prep the drive-line, all in preparation to put the TH 350 in for the 3rd time. Something stopped me. I couldn't find a reason to get up and change my clothes and go out into the cold garage. I am guessing it is some sort of minor PTSD after almost a year of working and making very little headway. Sometimes I actually think I will never see it done because the progress is so very slow, and usually identifies another thing I have to fix, replace or upgrade. Now when I look at what has already been done versus what needs doing still, I am way beyond the point of no return, so I guess I just needed a weekend off. Most of what I need to do will bring it so much closer to starting...maybe it is fear of what will happen when I do start it. All I know is the fun and anticipation phase is long behind me. This has become a grueling grind, and I still have many steps to even fire it up. Driving it doesn't even seem to be a thought until late Spring, and like most projects, the budget was blown in May, and I still have to get it working now and able to move itself around just to get to the final stage. I know some of you old guys like me get it. I realized a month or so ago that I am not a good mechanic anymore. I make a lot of errors and Murphy's Law applies to a not so meticulous mechanic. I know what I am doing, just stumble at least once on anything critical. Maybe this would be easier with friends or family helping, or if I could get on one of the MT channel programs for "deserving" folks, but what I have noted is that no one ever is in the PNW. Oldsmobile parts are not plentiful in the PNW. Expertise does not seem to live in PNW. Don't get me wrong, I will finish this if it kills me. 30 years ago I would be riding around in it. 20 Years ago I would be working on the interior and paint now. 10 Years ago I gave up on my 1963 Cutlass restoration ( first car) at about 85% finished because I would have had to remove the engine once again and I could not find a mechanic for the slim jim hydramatic. My wife will leave me if I do it again, so I plug away...but it is painfully clear that this is the last one ever. My plan is to drive it to my 68th Birthday party in May. Seems doable if I can just get out in the garage again! I think I need a playboy calendar! Ah the old days!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; October 21st, 2019 at 03:57 PM. Reason: photo
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:07 PM

May God be with you, young feller. :-)

Originally Posted by Chuck Cole

2009 Photo of my '63 Restoration before it overtook me!
I did absolutely nothing the entire weekend! I intended to get some more things hooked-up such as power steering pump, and hoses to steering box; gas lines; distributor, wires and spark plugs in; heater core and fabricate a box to make it work; vacuum hoses; prep the drive-line, all in preparation to put the TH 350 in for the 3rd time. Something stopped me. I couldn't find a reason to get up and change my clothes and go out into the cold garage. I am guessing it is some sort of minor PTSD after almost a year of working and making very little headway. Sometimes I actually think I will never see it done because the progress is so very slow, and usually identifies another thing I have to fix, replace or upgrade. Now when I look at what has already been done versus what needs doing still, I am way beyond the point of no return, so I guess I just needed a weekend off. Most of what I need to do will bring it so much closer to starting...maybe it is fear of what will happen when I do start it. All I know is the fun and anticipation phase is long behind me. This has become a grueling grind, and I still have many steps to even fire it up. Driving it doesn't even seem to be a thought until late Spring, and like most projects, the budget was blown in May, and I still have to get it working now and able to move itself around just to get to the final stage. I know some of you old guys like me get it. I realized a month or so ago that I am not a good mechanic anymore. I make a lot of errors and Murphy's Law applies to a not so meticulous mechanic. I know what I am doing, just stumble at least once on anything critical. Maybe this would be easier with friends or family helping, or if I could get on one of the MT channel programs for "deserving" folks, but what I have noted is that no one ever is in the PNW. Oldsmobile parts are not plentiful in the PNW. Expertise does not seem to live in PNW. Don't get me wrong, I will finish this if it kills me. 30 years ago I would be riding around in it. 20 Years ago I would be working on the interior and paint now. 10 Years ago I gave up on my 1963 Cutlass restoration ( first car) at about 85% finished because I would have had to remove the engine once again and I could not find a mechanic for the slim jim hydramatic. My wife will leave me if I do it again, so I plug away...but it is painfully clear that this is the last one ever. My plan is to drive it to my 68th Birthday party in May. Seems doable if I can just get out in the garage again! I think I need a playboy calendar! Ah the old days!
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:56 PM
Oldscarnut

Thank you! I should have finished the Cutlass and ditched the El Camino!
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:01 PM
Oldscarnut

You have the right to categorize your ride! I know that deep down you want it back on the road. Some of them, my El Camino for instance, do not want to go back on the road, it's obvious! My car is not a piece of junk so much as the stupid SOB's who engineered it were morons! At least I can be heard to mumble, mutter and shout this fact out while I am pinned under the car! Undoing their stupidity is harder than you can imagine, but I do see an end of the tunnel that does not involve yards and crushers. I hope yours becomes that way too!

Last edited by Chuck Cole; October 22nd, 2019 at 03:40 PM. Reason: photo
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:01 PM

I completed the glovebox build so I could have a glovebox after I installed a Vintage Air unit in my 67 CS. I thought I would be able to use the stock box but it became apparent that wasn't going to work after I got hoses and wiring installed. To use the stock box I would have had to install the box before I installed the evaporator and if I did that I couldn't get to the mounts for the evaporator. This glovebox is made out of 4 pieces and installs through the opening in the dash. Now I need to get the lining installed.

Old October 21st, 2019, 05:06 PM
Oldscarnut

Who knew that glove boxes could be like Fort Knox? I will have similar issues in reverse. The Dumb Previous Owner cut out all the A/C, so I bought a delete A/C panel and will have to build a heater into a box...ALSO behind a beautifully crafted one piece plastic glove box assembly that has nicely warped since 1980. If I get the console, I will skip the glove box! There is not room for all the hoses and wires plus a heater core, glove box and A/C vents and whatever you call the vacuum servos. Good luck!
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:16 PM

I tried twice to build it out of plastic but my skills came up short so I went with what I could get to work. I plan to cover the inside with a foam lining so I should be able to cover up the Fort Knox.
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:16 PM

You sound like me Chuck I am 63 and tired and I have had a lot of issues with my health but I have had my 442 w30 for almost 40 years and I have restored it twice not including when I made it a drag car for years and years but this is the last hoorah and I have to finish it so if anything happens to me my grandsons will get the car all finished and I pray they will want to keep it forever. Good luck Chuck I hope you get er done!
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:40 PM
Phantom Phixer

Chuck ,
You are right to take a few days off from your car once in a while .
When it becomes a " chore " and isn't fun anymore , It's time to take some time off .

Sometimes when a task becomes particularly arduous or boring , I stop work on that job and take care of some other small job that needs doing .

I'm going into my eighth year of a " nut and bolt " restoration .
So far , I have completed the chassis and drive train . And I have started on the body.
I would love to be driving it now , but I know it will be at least a couple of years before I can .
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:43 PM

Talking NO pics? Never happened! Come on! :)

Originally Posted by Destructor
Finally lowered my worthless piece of junk down from some wood blocks. It will sit unused till springtime. Come spring I'll decide weather to have a junker tow it away or fix it.
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up Lucky car to have you as it's owner...

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Chuck ,
You are right to take a few days off from your car once in a while .
When it becomes a " chore " and isn't fun anymore , It's time to take some time off .

Sometimes when a task becomes particularly arduous or boring , I stop work on that job and take care of some other small job that needs doing .

I'm going into my eighth year of a " nut and bolt " restoration .
So far , I have completed the chassis and drive train . And I have started on the body.
I would love to be driving it now , but I know it will be at least a couple of years before I can .
I concur with what you said to Mr. Chuck about taking some time off. Absence makes the heart grow fonder...for cars, too!

Dedicated!
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:25 PM
Oldscarnut

It looks great...keep the pics coming as you work through it!
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:26 PM
Oldscarnut

Thanks Dave! I will, just not as soon as I had hoped so I could enjoy it for years of driving!
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:10 PM

Also figured out how to not add such BIG PICS! :)

Found this lovely screw when doing the rear shocks.
Don't like doing it as it's too close to the side-wall but I did anyway: plugged it.

Last edited by JonnyO; October 22nd, 2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: add
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:21 PM

So today's project done: new front and rear shocks, front sway bar links and right side front lower ball joint.
( removed the huge pics-nobody wants to see 'em, anyway, right? )
Old October 23rd, 2019, 03:47 AM

My neighbor helped me push my 70 Cutlass out of the garage into the side yard. Might as well make better use of my garage. It will come in handy when the snow flies.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 03:59 PM

Got rid of the 'garden hose' looking coolant hose.

Old October 24th, 2019, 02:21 PM

Replaced blown driver's high beam. Turned the lights on now the driver's low beam is weak. Replaced that'n, too.
Old October 26th, 2019, 03:41 PM
O'smobile

Cleaned the frame. After this photo the centerlink and suspension were installed. Gonna put the fresh rebuild in soon. Should be getting the pilot bushing in the mail today.
Old October 26th, 2019, 08:16 PM
Oldscarnut

Today it was time to get back in the saddle as this car was kicking my butt. I spent about half the day back tracking things that were not done right. I found the reason the 7111 #12 bolt was not going in, cleaned off my Ultra Blue perfect seal. But true to my experience so far, while cutting off the single exhaust pipe by the diff, the grinder slipped and nicked my brake line. It was 5 inches away and I thought that was more than enough, but no...it dripped instantly and now I will replace the line again another time of course. I cleaned up my driveline and u-joints. Tomorrow the TH-350 goes in, and the intake goes on. I've been trying to get to that step since July!

It is also an oil change fest with my wife's car, and mine, both Chev 1.8's so fairly simple, one just under 100K and one over 150K, both getting Castrol, my brand since 1974! I plan also to rough out a heater box and sit if I can put the hoses on. I tried to prime my oil pump, but my drill doesn't spin fast enough in reverse. I smelled the oil however so I know it was moving a little, but nothing to the lifters yet. Once it holds water, oil and transfluid, the rest is meticulous bolt tightening. Luckily I have off 7 days starting Halloween. If my plan works I will work a day, rest a day, and at the end of the week, it may be close to starting!
Old October 27th, 2019, 02:34 PM

This is the 4th time i had the top end off this engine in 10 months...
but the last time I put it all together I did a **** job and it leaked oil like crazy through the valley tray.
So I did it one more time...hopefully it will be the last for awhile.

Old October 30th, 2019, 06:16 PM

So I had the new tires put on today. Tried to keep an "old school white wall" look with the ones I found. Coker wanted around $250+ per tire. No f'n way. So I found found some Hankook 724s and there were guys with old buzzard American cars giving 'em the thumbs up... so for the first time in my life I bought something not Michelin or Continental.
Good thing I got 'em done, too! 4 digit date code of THE ONE TIRE that wasn't a Big O ( Cooper Trendsetter ) was 4010: October 2010.
The other three had a 3 digit date code:378. SO Either '78, '88 or '98!
Any way you slice it it was a damned good thing to do considering they were at least 20 years old!
Clown I bought it from said, " I'm a mechanic ". Lyin' sob.
But hey, what do I know?!
Old November 1st, 2019, 01:42 PM

Put thermostat gasket on

Originally Posted by JPMDaddy
I'm a member of another forum that has a thread similar to this one. I'd like to start one here. It's been great over there, seeing all the projects other guys are up to every day! Anything goes as long as it's something you've done to your Oldsmobile. Pictures are always a plus if possible.

I'll go 1st. Today I ordered a new Accel replacement HEI dizzy, Taylor wires and an SMI Q-jet for olds/buick...
Put thermostat gasket on but realized I need the correct housing. So I didnt do much.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your Oldsmobile today