General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What defining moment(s) cemented you as a car person?

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM

4 years old at Marion County Raceway with my parents. Game set match. Street cars r nice, but drag cars take the cake.
Old August 16th, 2013, 01:33 AM
New 2 Olds

First car I was ever in coming home from the hospital was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme, although it was gone before any of my memories. What really started it was a '75 Chevy C-30 dump truck that was at my grandparent's house when I was 8. That's what made me a GM guy, believe it or not I was Ford before that because I was into the tractors that were there! The truck won me over, it was blue on blue and like any old car it had all the unique smells and textures and just fascinated me. I then began to build model kits a few years later and learned all the parts that make up a car. Bought my first car a '70 El Camino at 15 and the rest was history. Moved up to Oldsmobile due to the appeal of how they're basically very deluxe Chevrolets.

Last edited by at3reg98; August 16th, 2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old September 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Bttt
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:24 PM

My defining moment

Was the summer I spent getting my first car (a 1956 Morris Minor 1000) road- worthy, I got my license at 16 and was DYING to drive to high school as a junior in 1972. Boy, what I learned that summer and since then. Not coincidentally, the Lucas electrical system was a challenge, but it taught me patience and to think logically (not that logic was a requirement in British electrical systems).
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Hookers under Hood

My Dad took me to many stock car races as a kid. Sitting on bubble wrap in the bleachers inhaling fumes and getting the heart pumping. Saturdays and Sundays were Wild World of Sports on TV watching Nascar in black and white.
Cheers Car guys !!!
Old June 4th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Growing up in Michigan you're kind of exposed to cars right from the get go, but what cemented me was my 442.

I bought it off of my Grandparents, who got it from my Uncle who was moving down to Texas.

I 'liked' cars back then, but never really appreciated them until I owned this car. But what cemented me into my passion for cars was when I threw a rod in my first month of owning it. From that moment forward I was forced to roll my sleeves up and get dirty. Luckily my other uncle is pretty great at cars and together we re-built the motor. I've since taken the whole car apart for restoration and have become pretty familiar with it.

I say pretty familiar because I still have LOTS to learn, and all my knowledge only comes from what I've had to do so far. I seem to learn something new with this car every day and I love it.

I have lots of guys on this forum to be thankful for as well. Everyone here has been super helpful and I've learned a lot just from reading and asking questions on these forums.
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:19 PM

There was no one defining moment for me. But there's evidence that I was born a car guy.

I vividly recall that the engine in our family's '64 Dodge wagon was a slant 6, even though I was only 5 at the time.

And I even have recollection of a car we borrowed for a couple months having a bright red interior. I was only 2 at the time. My mom says there's no way I can actually remember that. But I see no reason why my brain would make up "memories" of something which really doesn't matter.
Old June 4th, 2014, 03:52 PM

For me it was hanging around at the neighbors farm back in Iowa in the early 70's, they had a 63 1/2 Galaxie with a 427 dual quad engine, a 65 271 HP Mustang, a 65 Mustang fastback with a 500 HP 289 (they had the engine built by someone in California) and a Dodge Dart with a 383. The local volunteer Cop drove a 32 Ford pickup with no fenders and a SB Chevy as his Cop car (had Cherries on the top and all) it was pretty cool, the local kids in school had all kinds of cool cars there where 3 high riding Chevelles a 66 396 SS car, a 66 327 car and a 68 327 car also, there was a Hemi Cuda and a 340 Cuda, a 69 Camero 396 Pace car, a bright orange Judge, one kid even had a real L88 Corvette, and a whole bunch of just fixed up every day cars and this was in a town with a population of 700.
I had the car bug.
Old June 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM

I was born...but I at age three I got a toy car garage with an elevator and ramp. I was driving my Dad 53's Mercury Monarch when I was 3 while sitting on his lap. He would let me drive around the parking lot while we waited for my Mom to get off work. At age 5 I could identify any domestic car by a glimpse of a corner tail light or headlight. I owned my first car when I was 12 and that was the same age I received my first ticket. Mom was furious.
Old June 4th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

I was born into a drag racing family, family car at that time was a '67 GTO. Neighbor to the north had a '66 F-85 and to the south had a '65 Cutlass and although Mom's GTO was faster, I thought the Olds' were better looking.
Old June 4th, 2014, 05:41 PM

When I was young, my grandpa had an 83' El Camino that was built for the street.
I remember going to the local car meets at the Hardee's with him, and going around to check out all the restored and hot-rodded classic cars. He was never one to show off, and would park a whole parking lot or street away. Also, he showed me how to appreciate cars for more than just power or looks - such as a BMW Isetta that would appear sometimes at the meets. He'd tell me stories about cars back in his youth, bring me car magazines, and take me to Good Guy's meets and NHRA drag meets. Heck, they even brought me to the Des Moines Grand Prix back when that was a thing.
If anything I'd have to say that my grandpa instilled it in me since as long as I can remember. Pretty sure one of my first phrases was "cool car" lol
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:29 PM

That First Ride

My trigger was the first time I rode in what would become my 1970 442 W-30. I had a 1960 El Camino that a guy wanted to trade his oldsmobile for since he couldn't handle the payments. He came to the house and took me for a ride around the neighborhood. Once he nailed the accelerator and that Quadrajet secondaries kicked in pushing me back in the seat... I will never forget the sound or the feeling of that ride. Good memories.
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Senior Moment Member

When I was 8 I got a ride in a Big Block Dart with a 4 speed in it. It was my buddy's brothers. I have no idea how fast we went. It was just so damn quick.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:54 PM

Born that way...I recall very well my dad's 55 Buick, and riding on the rear package shelf when I was three. noting the neighbors '58 T bird next door when we moved to a new house, I was six. When I was 9-10, going downtown (took the bus) after Memorial Day, 4th of July parades' because that's when the cars were gathered afterwards, and I could check them out.
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:48 AM

I knew there was something amiss when every Saturday I would wash the Family 1967 HR Holden Station Wagon, and melt my Matchbox cars to simulate damage and stage crash scenes

For those who are not familiar with 67 Holden wagons heres a pic of an identical car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Holden_Special_HR_Wagon.jpg (82.7 KB, 13 views)
Old June 7th, 2014, 02:50 AM

I was walking home from high school my sophomore yearwhen the older brother of a classmate drove by, stopped and asked if I wanted a ride home. He was driving his dark blue GTO 4 speed with red lines and poverty caps. I hopped in. After making sure no Po-Po were in the vicinity, he proceeded to launch this sucker. As he power shifted 2nd gear, all I remember seeing were the seams in the headliner. Got my bearings just in time for him to hit 3rd, and there was the headliner again.

50 years later, I remember that ride like it was yesterday...
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:43 PM

building model car kits in the 70's made from MPC. I enjoyed changing out the plastic engines, ie; putting a larger plastic engine in a smaller car....still have my 70 mach 1 painted red on my shelf. built it around 1977. I can still smell that cement......
Old June 8th, 2014, 06:43 AM

Ah yes Mr.Cook, he did have a part in cementing as a car guy as well. Awsome family.

Originally Posted by 1970cs
As clear as I want to recall was when I was eight years old, the family that babysat for me were car nuts, Mr. Cook worked for Olds in Lansing.
Was always in the garage either handing tools or helping working on their Oldsmobiles 442, Cutlass and 98's.

Pat