General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What battery have you had the best luck with ?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
....No BS. The Sears Die Hard Gold battery in it is 20 years old. I've only recently been using a four bank tender on it about the last four years or so. But even before the tender, I would just disconnect it while the car sat.
I can believe this.

I must be incredibly lucky. Most of mine lasted >10 years. I've only had to buy 3 batteries in the last 25 years.

'92 Toyota 4x4 truck - I beat, burnt, & drowned that truck. OEM Panasonic lasted 11 years - Bought a new cheapy that worked fine for 2 years until I traded it.

'01 Jetta - Bought new -still had OEM when traded in '11

Wife's 2011 still has OEM.

In '09 Bought a AutoZone cheapy (Valu Craft?) to resurrect Cutlass. 18 year old batt in it still had some life but would lose charge in ~ a week. Used the Valu Craft for a few months in the Avalanche winter '15 when OEM batt died - Still works fine for test firing Cutlass and as a portable jump for neighbors.

'04 Avalanche - Bought new - OEM lasted 11 years until last winter (sub 0 temps) - Bought DuraLast Gold. So far, so good.

What am I doing right ?!?
Old April 5th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Your wife calls parts dealers for you?

That IS awesome!

- Eric
She's awesome!! She very rarely complains, unless I ask her to watch a machine while its running haha. But I do pay her well !!
Old April 6th, 2016, 05:45 AM

Don't buy an interstate. They've seriously gone down in quality. I just got screwed again by interstate, only a couple days out of warranty and the prorated price is still more than their "shop price". Such a scam.

I emailed corporate, to no avail. So I'll forever tell people to not buy interstate. The old gray top batteries were good, the green top ones, not so much.

The walmart Maxx are cheaper, produce more cca, and have a year longer warranty than interstate. Seems like a no brainer to me....
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:44 PM

agree the Wal-Mart top line is the highest rated quality battery out there currently since 2015. Exide is the worst! Also, I agree Interstate quality/reliability has gone down hill. I just bought two Wal-Mart Maxx G65's for my 2001 F250 SD diesel truck.

I have a Riley Auto Parts brand (looks just like a Delco case) 2 year battery (650 CCA @ 32*) with the Delco re-pop battery top in my 70' F85 W31 car and it is still going strong after 5 and 1/2 yrs.!

I have two Auto Zone Duralast Gold G65 series 850 CCA's batteries in my 94' crew cab F350 diesel that are 7 yrs old and still going strong. Recent research says they not as good as when I bought then!

I use nothing but AGM glass mat type batteries (Fall River brand) in the Motor Home. They are now 10+ yrs old and show no sign of quitting on me. The secret in long life of any battery is to have a charger that provides four (4) stages of charging, Regular charge, Float mode, Boost mode, which is a high charge rate for a specific time @ 14.2-14.5 volts (which disulfides the plates), and Equalization (charges both batteries to same voltage then goes in to Float mode). I use a USA made one called a "65 amp converter/charger Charge Wizard". Has worked flawlessly!

Last edited by davebw31; April 6th, 2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old April 9th, 2016, 05:41 AM

I have a 1961 Dynamic 88 that takes a special battery size (battery area is to narrow for today's currently produced 12 volt batteries). I purchase original style antique/classic replacement batteries. My last replacement (regular acid type) lasted 10 years with a battery tender. The new replacement is a gel type unit that looks like the OEM unit supplied with the car in 1961. This battery seems to hold a full charge for weeks of inactivity without a battery tender. We will see how long it lasts. Down side; the cost of this battery was $375.00