General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

What battery have you had the best luck with ?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM
Hookers under Hood

What battery have you had the best luck with ?

I've been using Interstate batteries in my '76 Cutlass since I purchased it. I'm now on my 3rd battery since 2008. The last one seems to have only lasted 2 summers. This spring I trickle charged it full, took my '76 out for a 20klm drive parked it in the garage, went out to start it up today and its dead again.
I'm thinking about switching brands and would like to know what batteries you guys have good luck with over the years and continue to have good luck with.

Thanks
Eric
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:24 AM

The dealer I bought my 442 from put a new Interstate battery in it right before he shipped it to me,it's been in the car since 2012. I do use a tender on it while it sits. Never had a problem with it,plus it has a flat top that you need for one of those "delco" battery toppers that I have on it. I use tenders on all my vehicles,all the time. I got 8 yrs out of my original Harley battery,the dealer told me they usually last about 4-5 yrs.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:31 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

This may surprise you but Walmart. I read that several years ago in some battery comparison and decided to try them. So far so good although I can't tell you how long I have had them. I don't know who makes them.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:34 AM

I know that this is probably a stupid question, but have you checked to make sure that your alternator is good?

Last edited by chip-powell; April 3rd, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
This may surprise you but Walmart. I read that several years ago in some battery comparison and decided to try them. So far so good although I can't tell you how long I have had them. I don't know who makes them.
X2. Been perfectly fine in my daily drivers. I do have an Optima in my truck and it's also been fine. I finally had to replace it after eight years or so.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:02 AM

I feel really lucky as most batteries work fine for me, all except Interstate which I will not buy. I buy AC Delco, WalMart but my favorite is Optima. Optima costs more but if you buy from Amazon they are more reasonable. I have one that is many years old (maybe about 10) and works as well now as ever. And there is no green/blue corrosion with Optima.

Just my opinion,
Mike
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:13 AM
Administrator

The batteries I've had the best luck with are the Energizer brand from Walmart.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:08 AM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks for all the quick replies, Chip yes my alternator is fine. I see the majority here seem to think the walmart brand are good batteries. I'm not going to bother bringing my Interstate back and pay the prorated warranty deal they have, I like the Intersate battery look ( green/white top, white case) however I feel its time to drop them. I'm going to go to the walmart website and have a looksie. Although I like The Optima's, just too expensive for me.

Thanks
Eric
Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:17 PM

I run Toyota OEMs in my truck, they work for the five years they are rated for. Have had a yellow duralast out of Autozone on my 442, it has worked for ten years with low use. I run K mart batteries, whatever brand they are, on my Monte Carlo, but I think my lifetime warranty is probably dead now, and they last ten years or so with moderate use.

Keep it charged (as in don't leave it dead; the trickle chargers are over-rated) and keep it in at least a garage.

The Toyota ones do goop up the terminals. Think my just purchased Tahoe has a green interstate, it won't take charge, but I think that is the truck's terminals being insulated.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 12:28 PM

Be aware that the Optimas of today are NOT the same as the Optimas of years ago.

These used to be the favorite of off-roaders here in Arizona as they would hold up for many, many years in the heat and rough operation but in the past several years the quality has gone way downhill and it has been attributed to the fact they are now built offshore. Many folks have reported early failures, and the warranty has changed from 3 year free replacement and prorated after that to a two year replacement then no warranty at all beyond that. The local Costco stopped carrying them due to poor quality issues and so many returns.

I have one of the "old ones" in the Cutlass dated 2006 and it still works fine.

Last edited by Fun71; April 3rd, 2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM

I usually just grab what ever from auto zone or advance auto they seem to last about a little longer then the warranty. But I never really thought about it the one in John deere 750 has got to be pushing 15 yrs. and when it's idling the red light is on . It's a diesel and I rarely use the lights. It's a sears die hard I think . I'll
have to check maybe its got a date.
Railguy
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:35 PM
Hookers under Hood

It looks as though non of the Giant battery names are much good these days yet the prices are still out ther.
I had a look on the Walmart website here and they only show 1 brand, Sure Start, Sure Start Plus and Sure Start Maxx.
Prices range from $89, - $129.
Much cheaper than the Interstate and Optima's .
I'm thinking just the picking up the $89. one just for the summers. Is it really worth spending more than $89. just for summer use?
I never really gave batteries any thought, I just bought Interstate because of the look, so I'd like to ask you guys which one would you buy out of the 3 Sure Starts.

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; April 3rd, 2016 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Worth spending more ?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:07 PM
Lansing built

I will second Koda's AZ duralast gold. The one in the Cutlass will be 16 years old.

The OEM Delco in the Alero is still doing great! That one is 12.5 years old. Neither has been trickle charged, just unhooked from the negative side. Both get a slow charge for a couple of hours on spring start up!

My dad worked with some guys that worked at Delphi they said the Walmart high end batteries were built by Delphi. FYI Delphi is Delco.

Pat
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:14 PM

The Motorcraft battery in the 1999 F150 that I bought new lasted 11 years.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:32 PM
Hookers under Hood

Thanks guys, I've heard of the dura-last Pat, I believe Sears sells them here.
I'm really getting SICK of spending more money on the " use to be" respected name brands that are now apparently made off shore that don't last.
I wouldn't mind spending the extra money if they were in fact still made in the U.S or here in Canada, but I'm tired of getting ripped off by these companies.

Eric
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:37 PM

I know I will sound like an old man here, and I'm 36, but, nobody's word is worth **** anymore, corporations especially.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 07:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by Koda
I know I will sound like an old man here, and I'm 36, but, nobody's word is worth **** anymore, corporations especially.
So does that include everybody on this site? Pretty strong statement. I hope you are just having a bad day.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:23 PM

So does that include everybody on this site? Pretty strong statement. I hope you are just having a bad day.
I think he means the battery manufacturers. Not anyone on this site. I hope.

I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that 99% of all batterys came from the same factory in China. Or the components to make them.
Railguy
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:45 PM

Easy there. I was indicting society, as in "people." My day has been fine, I at least got to look at my 442, which is better than usual, how was yours?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:15 PM

I had a die hard in my gmc that I absolutely loved! I remember going with my dad to get the battery in 2008, when the truck was still my aunts. It just recently died, was still working great but I robbed it for a car that didn't like to start and then let it sit uncharged and I could never save it. Was still going strong before that though. Replaced it with an oriellys battery and have been less then happy but I do have another oriellys battery in my 66 that's a monster. Both were purchased new.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:52 PM
72Cutlass S

Here's what I do... I buy batteries from Costco, they come with a 2 year replacment warranty. I set a reminder on my phone for 18 months and exchange them when it goes off. They don't test them and you just pay whatever the price difference is. Last time I swapped the batteries in my truck it cost me 12 dollars. My truck kills a set of batteries every 3 to 4 years and I got tired of paying 200.00 every time they failed.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:16 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I know that this is probably a stupid question, but have you checked to make sure that your alternator is good?
Or maybe there's a current drain somewhere. For the battery to be drained empty in what sounds like a couple of weeks or less sounds pretty extreme.
Old April 4th, 2016, 04:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The WalMart batteries were top-rated by Consumer Reports about ten years ago (the time could be off - who can remember?), but I am under the impression that somewhere around five years ago they changed their manufacturer, and while they didn't go completely to crap, they are not as good as they were at the time.

I still buy them, mostly because they are cheap and easily available, and I haven't had a problem with one (ie: behavior outside of rational expectations) in the past ten years.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2016, 04:14 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Or maybe there's a current drain somewhere. For the battery to be drained empty in what sounds like a couple of weeks or less sounds pretty extreme.
Thanks for pointing that out 69442ragtop, I really don't think anything is draining my battery. I just disconnect the battery and leave it in the car for storage. Spring I re-charge it as usual then take it for a good run. This spring my gauge showed about 12.5 after I fired it up. Drove it, parked it with the same 12.5.
Went out yesterday put the key in ready to go nothing had to reboost. I have an old radio in this car and that's it nothing that is really pulling from the battery. I 've had problems with the last two Interstate Batteries, the first one lasted 5 months, dead in August. Returned for this one, been running for 2 summers, this spring doesn't want to stay charged. Ok it was -5 here yesterday and -10 overnight but that shouldn't affect the battery IMO.
Thanks for posting the possibilities,
Eric
Old April 4th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The WalMart batteries were top-rated by Consumer Reports about ten years ago (the time could be off - who can remember?), but I am under the impression that somewhere around five years ago they changed their manufacturer, and while they didn't go completely to crap, they are not as good as they were at the time.

I still buy them, mostly because they are cheap and easily available, and I haven't had a problem with one (ie: behavior outside of rational expectations) in the past ten years.

- Eric
Thanks Eric and to all other posters,
I'm really leaning towards the Walmart Sure Start brand . We just had 20cm of snow dumped on us overnight and with the week ahead it looks like it won't be getting any better so I won't be going battery shopping just yet.
I tell ya, I won't be paying top dollar for name brand batteries going forward !!! "ta' hell with em". I'll keep the extra $$ in my pocket.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:29 AM

I have a car that I only drive about a month a year just to move the fluids around while it awaits my older son turning 16. As that day get nearer, I'll give the car a good tune up, flush all the fluids, a fresh set of tires, and a new battery.

No BS. The Sears Die Hard Gold battery in it is 20 years old. I've only recently been using a four bank tender on it about the last four years or so. But even before the tender, I would just disconnect it while the car sat.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=Local Hero;909096

No BS. The Sears Die Hard Gold battery in it is 20 years old. I've only recently been using a four bank tender on it about the last four years or so. But even before the tender, I would just disconnect it while the car sat.[/QUOTE]

I have been doing the same for years, It seems I've had some bad luck with the Interstate brand for some reason. The first one lasted ten years I was shocked.
The second one only went 5 months April-August, returned it, payed the $55.00 for a new one. Then this one only lasting 2 summers.
I'm not going to pay $90. prorated price for another at this point.
The walmart brand here has good reviews looking at them, especially now since most guys here have mentioned they are good. I have a week or so to decide. I'd really like the Yellow top Optima but for close to $300 bucks here I just can't dig that deep into my pocket anymore.

Last edited by 76olds; April 4th, 2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:57 AM
344879M363895

Found a Diehard at Meijer for around $100. Hoping for good results from it.
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:15 AM

I have been buying batteries at Batteries Plus. No problems with them. I just bought a blem for the 70 4dr, $50. I switched to them when my boss bought a battery there. The old battery came from them. They Still honored the warranty even though he did not buy the battery. It was in the vehicle when he bought it.

Don W
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Wal Mart here also. They regionally are still made by Delphi or Johnson Controls. They today are clearly marked to who manufactured them, JC here. The $100 battery in my 2004 Camry lasted nine years, replaced with another one of their $100 batteries, but core is a lot higher now.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Be aware that the Optimas of today are NOT the same as the Optimas of years ago.

These used to be the favorite of off-roaders here in Arizona as they would hold up for many, many years in the heat and rough operation but in the past several years the quality has gone way downhill and it has been attributed to the fact they are now built offshore. Many folks have reported early failures, and the warranty has changed from 3 year free replacement and prorated after that to a two year replacement then no warranty at all beyond that. The local Costco stopped carrying them due to poor quality issues and so many returns.

I have one of the "old ones" in the Cutlass dated 2006 and it still works fine.
Boy I'm sorry to hear that about the Optimas. I bought 2 for my Olds and my Dodge. I was surprised to see that they were 11 and 12 years old! Still working fine. They were about $130. 00 back then but now they are $230-250. But no acid leaks,etc. I just sold the Dodge and now have only 1 Optima. I was planning to buy another but maybe not now.
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:59 PM

A couple(few?) years ago my local O 'Reilly guy told me about Optima going the el cheapo route & not to buy them any more. I've not had to buy any batteries in a few years but this is a good thread!!
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Here's some battery info from a recent discussion on the local Jeep Club web site:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-a-New-Battery
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

I have an awesome update on my end here, My wife called Pro Oil and spoke with the owner this morning they are our Interstate battery dealer here.
They are going to replace it free of charge this time since we are good customers and we bring all our cars to them.
They warranty stays the same 1 year free replacement and the 5 year Performance warranty prorated.
I hope to have better luck with this new one !!
Thanks to all for posting you experiences to date, this will definitely help me on my next battery purchase.
I know that Walmart batteries will be going in our G8's when needed !!
Cheers
Eric
Old April 4th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Your wife calls parts dealers for you?

That IS awesome!

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2016, 02:25 AM

I always use AC Delco.. It just looks RIGHT in my GM cars and trucks. Plus, they usually last pretty good for me. Ha,, put one in my wifes Ford this winter...lol
Old April 5th, 2016, 06:46 AM
344879M363895

While we are on the topic of these batteries, where do you find the best cover that makes them look like the original style battery? Just was wondering who makes the closest match.
Old April 5th, 2016, 07:12 AM

Also, not to be an ***, but where do you guys go that what the battery looks like matters? Is that a judged thing? I kind of thought tires, brakes, shocks, batteries, bulbs and other things that wear out were ok to replace with equivalent. I like seeing modern maintenance replacements on these cars; it's a testament to they're still here and still putting miles on the road.
Old April 5th, 2016, 07:35 AM
344879M363895

Also, not to be an ***, but where do you guys go that what the battery looks like matters? Is that a judged thing? I kind of thought tires, brakes, shocks, batteries, bulbs and other things that wear out were ok to replace with equivalent. I like seeing modern maintenance replacements on these cars; it's a testament to they're still here and still putting miles on the road.
For me, it would be just a nostalgia-type thing. Everyone has their preference. Will I replace the headlights with the T3 repros? Probably not.
Old April 5th, 2016, 01:44 PM

Also, not to be an ***, but where do you guys go that what the battery looks like matters? Is that a judged thing?
My own driveway. Seriously, I don't build my car for anyone but me, and I want the battery to look original, just like everything else on the car. Well, except for the big sticky tires.

No need to use a battery topper. Buy a reproduction (R71S) from Antique Auto Battery in Hudson, Ohio. Get the sealed version. Mine's 7-1/2 years old and holds a charge better than any battery I've ever used.

Last edited by BlackGold; April 6th, 2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Corrected battery age.

Quick Reply: What battery have you had the best luck with ?