General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Well Rob................

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
car guy

Well Rob................

So what did you do tonight???
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:01 AM

Last night I realized that it would probably take a sandblaster to take the grin off Richard's face (and mine, too, for that matter!)

I got to experience 50 miles of driving pleasure in Richard's 14 month project and all I can say is "that is how all Cutlasses should handle!"
We hit the back roads and twisties, taking each curve at least 10mph but up to 20mph over the recommended limit, and the car never complained. Not a hint of those wide tires loosing grip, even on bumpy curves. No judder, no rattles, no seat of your pants type action...

Braking was supurb for MANUAL brakes - straight as an arrow! Only a slight sound from the rear tires one hard stop, but that was on asphalt. Who needs stinkin' abs??

For comparison purposes, i have a 97 Cadillac STS and from what I could tell as a passenger, handling and braking were at least equal, but in some cases, the 66 was better. Completely predictable and good road feel.

On the highway, we cruised effortlessly at 75 with no jitter over bumps. Aside from the noise with the top down, it felt like driving the Caddy, with a fun factor of X25.

Needless to say, anyone who is doing a suspension rebuild should incorporate much of what Richard has done. This is the way these cars SHOULD drive...
Richard's 66 made Lady seem feeble... Looks like I have suspension work in the near future.

One impressive thing is I never would have thought a stock 330 could outrun a police cruiser...
(Or was I just dreaming that happened??)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 20th, 2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Richard,

Could you give the Newbies a summary of the suspensions mods that makes yours corner like a cat?
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:10 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Last night I realized that it would probably take a sandblaster to take the grin off Richard's face (and mine, too, for that matter!)

I got to experience 50 miles of driving pleasure in Richard's 14 month project and all I can say is "that is how all Cutlasses should handle!"
We hit the back roads and twisties, taking each curve at least 10mph but up to 20mph over the recommended limit, and the car never complained. Not a hint of those wide tires loosing grip, even on bumpy curves. No judder, no rattles, no seat of your pants type action...

Braking was supurb for MANUAL brakes - straight as an arrow! Only a slight sound from the rear tires one hard stop, but that was on asphalt. Who needs stinkin' abs??

For comparison purposes, i have a 97 Cadillac STS and from what I could tell as a passenger, handling and braking were at least equal, but in some cases, the 66 was better. Completely predictable and good road feel.

On the highway, we cruised effortlessly at 75 with no jitter over bumps. Aside from the noise with the top down, it felt like driving the Caddy, with a fun factor of X25.

Needless to say, anyone who is doing a suspension rebuild should incorporate much of what Richard has done. This is the way these cars SHOULD drive...
Richard's 66 made Lady seem feeble... Looks like I have suspension work in the near future.

One impressive thing is I never would have thought a stock 330 could outrun a police cruiser...
(Or was I just dreaming that happened??)

Its was a fun ride. It was nice to run it a little harder with no family members present to cut down on the fun. I need to get it on a closed coarse so I can see what the limits really are without the pesky utility poles and guard rails to worry about.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Richard,

Could you give the Newbies a summary of the suspensions mods that makes yours corner like a cat?
I will start another thread in the suspension section when I get a chance.
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Richard, sounds like your Olds turned out to be everything you hoped it to be. Thats great, Rob, looks like you will have a suspension build in your future. Looking foward to the suspension thread Richard
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
...so I can see what the limits really are without the pesky utility poles and guard rails to worry about.
...and fresh asphalt.
We were both easily convinced that too hard a corner in that thing would peel off the road surface and send us spinning out of control.

One thing I did not mention is the lack of nosedive under hard braking. A good front suspension probably made that possible.

I will be looking forward to "Richard's A-body suspension cookbook" so I can get mine planned out.

I will just have to keep telling myself "the chassis will stay on the car..."
Old June 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
car guy

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post88930
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Captain of my ship

Question Motor

So Richard when is the 455 going in. Sounds like you have the suspension to handle the torque and extra power
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:25 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by wolfman98
So Richard when is the 455 going in. Sounds like you have the suspension to handle the torque and extra power
Setting up paypal fund for donations. Its for the good of all to see this car with a healty motor.
Old June 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Captain of my ship

Well

If I remember correctly you would not send those elves over to my place after they were done working in your shop , see your done and I am still slaveing away. Now you want donations HA