General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Weird Disclaimer in Denver

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2015, 12:32 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Weird Disclaimer in Denver

Hey, guys.

I was just on the Mecum website looking over some of the early results from their Denver auction and I noticed an interesting thing: in each vehicle description there's a line that reads, "Vehicle can only be registered as a collector car in an area of Colorado that requires an emissions test."

Anybody know what the hell THAT means? Does it mean that if I buy that car, I can't register it out of state? Or does it mean that I can't register it in areas of Colorado that don't require emissions testing? Does Colorado use some strange registration law to circumvent emissions testing? Or is it something else entirely?
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:57 AM

What it means is if you live in an area of Colorado where emission testing is required then you have to register it as a collector car in order to avoid the emissions testing. Otherwise you are free to register it otherwise in areas not requiring the emissions. This has nothign to do with you buying able to buy the car from out of state and register it there. Thats how I understand the statement.
Old June 27th, 2015, 06:45 AM

I think what they meant to say was: "Vehicle can be registered only as a collector car in any area of Colorado that requires an emissions test."
Old June 27th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by starfire
I think what they meant to say was: "Vehicle can be registered only as a collector car in any area of Colorado that requires an emissions test."
Actually, the clearer way to say it is probably: "In areas of Colorado that require emissions testing, this vehicle can only be registered as a collector vehicle." The implication is that the vehicle as sold will not pass an emissions test and with the disclaimer they are not responsible when you can't get it inspected.