General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Watch out when dealing with Mondello!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Thumbs down Watch out when dealing with Mondello!!!!!!

Well, it appears that i was next in line for a BAD experience in dealing with Mondello Performance. I, as others have stated have heard of Mondelllo but have never had any experience in dealing with them as a vendor. I was in need of a camshaft and lifters so beings that Mondello (prior to my experience) is known for Oldsmobile parts, decided to order a camshaft and set of lifters from them. Little did i know that when i placed my order and sent payment, i became the next VICTIM of this monstrosity of a company that once was hailed as KING of Performance parts for Oldsmobile cars. I waited a week for my Parts to arrive, and when i opened the box, the camshaft was wrapped in corrugated cardboard and labeled with a marker. The lifters were in a seperate box and labeled accordingly. To my surprise there was no other information in the box other than the receipt for the camshaft and lifters, typically when you buy a quality part such as a camshaft it ALWAYS comes with a Cam timing data slip...........NOT when you order from MONDELLO PERFORMANCE. What you will get when you order from MONDELLO PERFORMANCE is a grab bag situtation that may or may not be the correct part and its up to you to roll the dice of chance and put it in your motor. If it goes round and round and doesnt go boomy boom then it MIGHT be the right one but if it goes boomy boom and its not the right one, then guess what THATS YOUR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!! Never again will i buy from or even give a recommendation of any sort to anybody that they even entertain the idea of purchasing anything from Mondello Performance. All i can say to anybody out there is BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE of any and all parts from MONDELLO PERFORMANCE, because the old addage that you dont always get what you pay for is exactly what you should expect from Mondello Performance. Peace out to those who have learned the hard way and wont make the same mistake twice. I know i wont.
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM

Did you call to get the rest of what was missing and allow them to correct their mistake??
OR
Did you come here first to rant about it and claim you were a victim??

You didn't elaborate on whether you called, so I'm assuming you didn't.
I've never ordered from Mondello, so I owe them no loyalty.
Just a common sense question for ya.

Companies hire and fire people. **** happens with new hires.
Call and let them rectify the mistake. If they don't, then you have a legit gripe.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 17th, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Its on every Olds forum not to deal with Mondello in CA. Why would you? Talk to Bill at BTR Performance or Smitty at M&J Performance for any Olds speed parts you need.
JKaz
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:42 PM

Rectified NOT

Yes, i most certainly did call to allow them to rectify the situation and when i told them (politely) of my situation and was allowing them to handle it, THEY HUNG THE PHONE UP ON ME! Hows that for customer service?
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Originally Posted by MrLightning
...because the old addage that you dont always get what you pay for is exactly what you should expect from Mondello Performance.
Not to make light of your situation, but their site's disclaimers include this jewel under "Parts Availability":

"Due to the decreasing availability of Oldsmobile engine parts, orders may be subject to substitution with the next best available part if applicable."

"Doctor, I came in for a hip replacement and you replaced my knee!"
"Well, it WAS the next available part..."
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Is there a vendor listing (Forum Sticky) that lists reputable Oldsmobile parts suppliers? I got the fact that a business can have a bad day now and then, but it would be nice to look at a listing that profiles a business' specialty/parts supplied before placing an order or researching the cost of parts.

Just a thought.

d1
Old May 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM

Yes, i most certainly did call to allow them to rectify the situation and when i told them (politely) of my situation and was allowing them to handle it, THEY HUNG THE PHONE UP ON ME! Hows that for customer service?
Sounds like a legit gripe then.

They're overpriced anyways. Send it back for a refund and take your
business elsewhere. That's the best way to get your point across.

Joe Mondello recently passed so it's possible his business affairs have been
somewhat chaotic since his departure. I have no idea how much he was
involved in the day to day business.

Try any of the following Olds places
http://www.oldsperformanceproducts.com/new.asp

http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/

Or Summit and Jegs.

Last edited by Aceshigh; May 17th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM

I live in Paso Robles and have purchased over 3k in parts from Mondellos now granted I can walk in and talk face to face with the guys there. Lynn may be a bit abrasive but Junior has always been very easy to deal with, my first impression wasn't top notch from appearance but his service was great and he offered to help me with my build free of charge the guy is a class act.

The cams they sell are from Engle and are packaged at Engle as are the lifters. Hell I'm sure every business has bad days but these guys wouldnt stay in business if they ran like that all the time. Joe has been gone from the business for quite a while and their floor is always rollin out new engines (very beautiful engines) for a reason.

Sorry to hear about your experience but one mans trash is another mans treasure. Good luck there's plenty of suppliers out there.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM

I can't believe they can still find people to buy parts from them.
I'm sure they will do you right,if you are within punching distance.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:05 PM

i think the prices they ask for alot of their parts are rediculous!!! i mean, $400 for an alternator bracket?? last year i had some dough to spend, so i called them to inquire about purchasing a full pulley and bracket system.....now i'm talking about V-belt pulleys, not serpentine. they said i could get the alternator bracket, pulleys, and power steering pump and bracket for a whopping $1235.00 shipped. being a produce buyer for a living, i tried to justify the fact that what they are selling is not worth that much by any means. a full serpentine system for a SBC from March Pulleys is about $500. i offered them $900 shipped for the full setup, and they declined. it's highway robbery to me, i like the engines they build, but they want top top dollar and i hear their customer service blows!!
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:31 PM

It all blows.It's a crock.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM

Is there a such thing as to big a cam for a 455 oldsmobile
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM

Yes.Absolutely.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM

Lynn is a disgrace to Joe and his company. But Joe did indeed sell the company several years prior to his passing. Dealing with Joe in the past was always a pleasant experience. He even signed my car and I am very fortunate to have had this priveledge
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Surprised you missed this: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-mondello.html

Steve tried to warn a lot of people based on his experience.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM

Allan, someone resurrected this thread from 2011 to ask this question:

"Is there a such thing as to big a cam for a 455 oldsmobile"

It was in no way relevant to the thread topic.
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Didn't see that Steve. Good catch. I guess I saw mostly the other comments about Mondello's 'new service and parts' policies.
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM

The last thing I bought from mondello was an oil pan and an HEI dis. When it came the distributor was just loose in the pan no pading nothing.The pan had dents in it from distributor rattling around inside it.No instructions what so ever.When called to ask about installation and the fact there were no instructions.He said in a real condensending voice well what-da-ya need to know. Thats the last thing I'll ever buy from them.
railguy
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Arrrggggg

Seen this thread and wasn't going to post but I said F it and figured I would share my experience with them.

Now any one who has seen my build threads knows I have laid out some decent cash in the past 3 months on everything from high price performance upgrades to NOS and Local parts to aftermarket goodies. I am not shy to spend the money on name brand and quality items for my rides so when I attempted to do so when I bought the S a few months back I was a little taken back by Mondello's bad attitudes.

When I picked up my 71 S and started to buy parts I called Mondello first as I remembered buying from them in 08 with my 69 442 and seemed to have an OK experience outside of customer service.

My call to them this time ended in being hung up on not once, but 2 times. Simple questions about prices and turn around times from them to local shipping terminal really pisses them off it seems. From the moment they answered until he hung up he acted like taking the call was a complete burden. He acted standoffish and rude to say the least. He said something to the effect that I "should use ebay If I need quick turn around times" and click. I called back and asked "was my money not good enough for them?" and was hung up on again.

Now I'm sure they get there share of tire kickers. I was far from just asking prices. I was legitimately trying to figure out time frames from the moment I paid over phone until I could expect the engine and parts to arrive. The guy acted as if it was an insult to ask a simple question on time frames and freight charges. So I took his advice and spent my money else where obviously. I give them a couple more years and with the bullshit ratings and horror stories being spread they won't be able to kiss enough *** to keep customers. There riding off Joe's name and that will quickly come to a halt if they keep up with horrible customer service.

IMHO they need to get someone a little more customer friendly taking the calls and dealing with customers if they have issues answering phones. Possibly state no phone calls please on there website??