General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2016, 08:05 AM

So here's a GUY who should have found this thread years ago. Massive amount of money wasted.
http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10258
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:26 PM
Pap

Mondello olds

I have built a 510 striker with all Mondello parts. It's 11/1 compression. Full roller it dynoed 568 hp 588ft lb torque. ! 540ftlb at 2000 rpm. It has turned out to b a calm n easy going street motor wen u want it to b. And has torn my car apart wen I put the pedal down ! I can't say about the parts as I have had none fail as of yet , but now I'm scared. As for service and Lynn .... it was **** poor ! It took 4 months longer to build than it should have. He kept telling me we have it here on the shelf n sending the wrong part !! He sold me n exact fit aluminum radiator for 638.00 n it was 8" short on the sides n 4" on the top. He said the air needs to go around the radiator n cool the engine bay with high hp engines ! I said no i need the right radiator n it needs to b here tomorrow !!! Two weeks later I got a griffin radiator strait from tallmadiage oh for 286.00 and he didn't want to refund the money. He said this is a radiator out of a hurst olds n it was a Mondello unit !!! I told him it says griffin on it n it didn't ship from.ca so stop lieing to me. ! That was one of 4 experiences ! On the same engine. ! I put my trust in him to help build me a dream engine n I couldn't wait till the stress was over !!! It's a shame wat money does to people. Wat ever happened to honesty , integretiy and ethics's. ?
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:57 AM

what ever happened to spelling? Must be some keys missing on your computer.
Old August 27th, 2017, 07:43 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have bought from Smitty, took forever to get my 330 stroker crank but he was helpful. This was at the beginning of his health issues. I have bought from Mark Remmel, multiple times. He has been good to deal with. The last transaction took a long time, partly my fault and he is a busy guy these days. I have also bought from Supercars Unlimited, good for unique parts but not cheap. A tight fitting dipstick tube is nice. I have also bought parts from Rocket Racing. Very good to deal with. I bought head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and stock style grommets. They sent me the wrong one, sent me the right one at no cost. I will definitely buy from Mark and Rocket Racing again for good reasons. One their prices are fair, there service is good and they came out with much needed high performance parts. Blocks, heads and cranks from RR and the SB stroker package is awesome from Mark. So why even deal with Mondollar, what have they done for the brand lately?
Old August 28th, 2017, 06:43 AM
jfb

it is my vacation week so i guess i need to shed some positive light on this thread considering i have had no problems with mondellos parts. 1. i have there short block with excellent compression and detroit head gaskets and have had no problems. 2 i have harland sharp rollers from them and have had no problems. 3 i have edelbrock heads from them cut and slighly ported and have had no problems and there starter and headers and have had no problems. i talk straight period and tell it like it is. I work carefully and do not drink around those days period and get proper rest i can really pay attention just like at my career and stay proffesional i race sometimes and having problems is not my idea of having fun and dangerous. I have never understood this bashing thing about them i have had no problems along as you talk to them not email a order new age bs is not always better it takes thought processing . good luck guys this is what i have experienced period no drama eithier. have fun summer is almost over just talk to them first the time on your cell phone is normally free so making time is up to you. just call no emails.
Old August 28th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Interesting how they are still in business. I had a bad experience with them 25 years ago and got turned off then. I got the impression they think they are the only game in town. Just today my Pontiac friend said to try Mondello for the rocker arm parts I need and told him that's not going to happen.
Old August 29th, 2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Interesting how they are still in business. I had a bad experience with them 25 years ago and got turned off then. I got the impression they think they are the only game in town. Just today my Pontiac friend said to try Mondello for the rocker arm parts I need and told him that's not going to happen.
The only reason they are still in business is because many unfortunate Olds enthusiasts still actually think that they are the only game in town. Old habits die hard I guess.
Old August 30th, 2017, 03:34 PM

The most striking thing about Mondello is their website - it appears to be stuck in the web 1.0 era and also has no search function. Although the later is hardly a problem considering the great effectiveness of the Google site: search function.

I once purchased an OEM style flexplate for a 455 from Mondello. I didn't have any mechanical problems with the part, but it did arrive with a bit of surface rust (probably old inventory sitting around) and it was also marked up. I'm much better at sourcing parts now and could have found the same flexplate for about half the cost and probably rust free.
Old August 30th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Well, I bit on the Mondello bait, hook, line, and sinker a year ago when building my W-31. I used their pistons, cam, roller lifters and rockers. This engine has only ran on the stand and around the block while waiting for the body to be painted. I did sent back the roller rockers set as two of them felt like they had sand in them. They exchanged them with no questions. Hopefully by the end off October I can offer a follow up report.
Hydraulic Roller Camshaft #RH-94-95

Roller Lifters #RT-685

350 Olds Forged Pistions

Rockers from Mondello.
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:10 AM
jfb

i knos this thread was started a few years ago but this will give you a idea on costs from my build with over 11 to 12 to1 compression and street run still with good octane. 3700 short block iron crank high volume oil pump and jm 4-5 cam and double roller chain and blueprinted with forged pieces and good bearings and after years of use and racing i have noooo problems! aluminum edelbrocks and some porting 1500 including shipping! I also have a edelbrock torker from them that was ported for about 275. there is 1 thing out there that is a misconception that ford rockers work well and some have tried it just check around there are stories of this just do not try it. I can also improve my power with a power adder if wanted the mill can handle it and enhance it. I have spoke to mike thermos at nos also and explained my combo and he knows mondellos practices he advised me that my combo can handle more power if i want to. just talk to people first guys it saves headaches and time and money and buy parts off season for time and money reasons this is real good for warmer regions and your lucky for it! by the way this is a comment for our texas members how are you doing if you are affected by this wave of trouble my friends down there are digging in and staying tough. good luck guys!
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:18 AM

written word

Originally Posted by Mike77
what ever happened to spelling? Must be some keys missing on your computer.

Exactly. Reading that post was painful. I wish people would post in English rather than how they text their friends. The English written word is dying.
Old August 31st, 2017, 07:31 AM

My Mondello/Lyn build was 5yrs and 7500 miles ago.Carb to pan,and it has run strong from day one to present.The only problem was the Distributor died after about 50 miles.Lyn had the replacement and new plugs at my door the next day.It is an Eddy head full roller motor in a 69 442.I love driving this car again.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:55 AM
jfb

drjr 56 amen i could not agree more mine has been fantastic from day one also. the parts are heavy duty and few bucks more compared to the build. I also planned power adders for the future and upgraded where needed like studs and forged pieces and a little more duration in the cam.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 08:27 AM

Studs,straps,and lightweight rods and pistons in mine.I've touched 6200rpms a couple times.My oil pressure is 35-40psi@ 750-800 rpms.Not having it stroked is my only regret...jfb..Have fun,be safe and enjoy your car.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 09:06 AM

This is a good thread and a service to the Oldsmobile community. I was always a Chevrolet guy till I bought a Cutlass in the early 1990s. I saw a small ad in a Hot Rod magazine about Mondello. Knowing all engines have weaknesses I called Mondello. Joe actually answered the phone. I asked, "do Olds have an oiling problem?" Joe yells "f*cking A, they have an oiling problem!" Welcome to the slippery slope of Oldsmobiles. Buy my book was next. I bought it and I still refer to it. I can't really say anything bad about Joe. Sure he pushed his parts and methods (which according to the latest Olds Guru's are unnecessary) but at least he gave one information and carried the water for the Oldsmobile community. Dave Smith and his wife were helpful also. I've bought off both Joe and Dave, no regrets. I've bought parts from Dick Miller and Andy Miller, also no complaints. Having gone to Norwalk Oldsmobile meets since back in Mondello days and through Dick Miller days, I know who Bill Travado is but never really talked to him. I would definitely use his services if I was in the market. I've talked to Rocket Racing guys. They were friendly and I would also use their services. Jim at J&S Racing is as helpful as they come, fast service & good parts. I'm glad there a younger guy that's on this forum that's in Florida. We had a local Oldsmobile builder that fell out of the hobby and the way he went out was bad. Basically these Oldsmobile engine guys need to make a buck to stay in the Oldsmobile hobby. Hopefully people on here will support their services and buy from them when you need parts.