General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Always check new parts

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Always check new parts

Just venting here.
The poor quality of hydraulic lifters is well known, but I am continually surprised. A set from Howards had two lifters frozen up. I didn't bother looking any closer.
A set from Crower though....

They apparently didn't deburr the inside of the lifter after drilling the oil hole. Those shards flaked right off with a little poke from a screw driver. Just waiting to pop loose and really mess something up. About 12 of the lifters were like this.

At least only one had this extra machining done on it

*sigh*
Old November 30th, 2017, 03:49 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Chineasium junk???
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:08 AM

Oddball, thanks for posting. I would never think stuff like that makes it out the door of a reputable manufacturer. The sad part is you would never suspect the lifter metal shavings if it wiped out a bearing or cam lobe. I hope word of mouth spreads fast to the manufacturer. Thanks again.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:56 AM

I know roller adds a pile of money to the price of a rebuild but this is why I use roller now. So many horror stories about flat tappets these days. My problem now is, you can't go roller on my old Jetfire engines.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:24 AM

Just thinking out loud, if quality of something is on that level, is the quality control any better on roller parts? Just wondering, bad roller gone through quality control = way more problems.. Way more things to mess on production.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Just thinking out loud, if quality of something is on that level, is the quality control any better on roller parts? Just wondering, bad roller gone through quality control = way more problems.. Way more things to mess on production.
I get your point but I believe the roller lifters are much more produced now and likely have tighter quality control. Can't say that for sure but I have not heard of any roller lifter problems and I hear of flat lifters having troubles all the time these days.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I get your point but I believe the roller lifters are much more produced now and likely have tighter quality control. Can't say that for sure but I have not heard of any roller lifter problems and I hear of flat lifters having troubles all the time these days.
Just google and you get alot of roller lifter failures. Of course, people are reporting way more flat-tappet lifter failures, be it solid or hydraulic. But how does it scope to amount of them out there? Goes vice versa, people are way more willing to report about negative, than positive outcomes.
Also, flat-tappets require careful drive-in. How many are willing to admit publicly it was their fault? How easy its blame the lifter when they round their cams...

Once again, just my opinion and thinking. Im not denying anything, rollers for sure are better engineering, but i dont believe what internet says is the whole truth about it.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 06:42 PM

It's not just lifters. "New" doesn't equal "good". Always try to confirm "correctness" of a new part before installation when possible.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 08:42 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I had a cam that wasnt hardend from howards..bent during brake in. I didnt catch it. I blamed the chirping sound on my alternator. Turns out the cam wiped out the bearings. I managed 500 miles. I caught it just in time before i killed the block. Howards shrugged it off as my fault or summits shipping. They fixed the cam straightened it and did the last hardening process. They did nothing for me. I asked for some stickers and got a nasty phone call. I gave the cam away and bought lunati. That lifter set from lunati which has had a lifter bleed issue on 2 lifters from day 1. Im ok with it as engine has 4k miles on it now. It just taps for about 10 secobds when fired up cold.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 11:35 PM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by oddball
Just venting here.
The poor quality of hydraulic lifters is well known, but I am continually surprised. A set from Howards had two lifters frozen up. I didn't bother looking any closer.
A set from Crower though....

They apparently didn't deburr the inside of the lifter after drilling the oil hole. Those shards flaked right off with a little poke from a screw driver. Just waiting to pop loose and really mess something up. About 12 of the lifters were like this.

At least only one had this extra machining done on it

*sigh*
Poor Quality, it appears as thou they just belt sanded the lifter top to clean up machine marks. I guess they also skip the inner deburring part, then final surface grinding step after heat treat.
I would spread the work about this poor workmanship.