General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello

Search this Thread

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello

Lately I have noticed a lot of new guys asking about parts from "Mondello" in Paso Robles California. I have tried to address each one as I find them and warn them of the dangers of buying from them but I figure a thread on it might reach more people and save our members the heartache of dealing with them.

If you don't know, "Mondello" (Lynn) is selling cheaply made Chinese parts at Made in the USA prices. Here are a few examples of parts I have received from them with questionable quality and / or failed in my engine.

* Camshaft that came in a generic white box with no cam card or part number

* Lifters that came in a generic white box that had nicks on the edges of the cam lobe surface and poor metal quality overall

* Edelbrock heads that had previously been surfaced
-(If you have Edelbrock heads from Mondello have them CC'd - mine were 73 CC's...meaning they had been milled prior to my buying them "NEW")

* Full roller rockers that were copied off of the Harland Sharp design and made in China. These were 3/8" shaft mount rockers that had been drilled out to work with 7/16" studs on Edelbrock heads. They broke along the trunnion shaft at the thinnest point. They sent metal through my engine and cost me time and money to replace.

* Oil pump pickup that was SOLDERED, the solder broke and the pickup screen was hanging on by a thread. (With all of the other stuff that broke in the engine I could have sucked the metal chunks up and sent it back through the engine)

Here's my story:

I went to the track in February and the "Mondello" full roller rockers I bought broke on me. So I changed them out with Harland Sharps. The quality of the HS rockers is above and beyond the crap Mondello sold me.

In May I went back after fixing the rockers. I blew a head gasket and just found it a few weeks ago. The "Mondello" head gasket I bought was crap and blew around a water jacket at the #8 cylinder. I run studs on my heads...Bill Trovato and Andy Miller both think it was the gasket that failed, not the installation.

Upon opening my engine up to fix the head gasket I found broken lifter snap rings, making the cups fall out of my solid lifters. So now I've got a new set of Comp Cams lifters.

Other things I found when I had the motor apart were the oil pump pickup was soldered, and the solder broke on 2 of the 4 edges of the screen. I was 2 solders away from having no screen on my pickup. I also found that my oil pump driveshaft is not straight. I found out after Andy Miller had me check it against a straight edge because the Mondello shafts are crap.

For those of you that have spent money at Mondello, you won't get your money back...but I urge you, send back the generic crap you got from them. In the long run you will save yourself money and time by buying quality NAME BRAND MADE IN THE USA parts.

You can check "Mondello" out on BBB, they have numerous files claimed against them. Lynn has run it into the ground and is selling you junk parts at made in the USA prices. I would buy my parts from:

Bernard Mondello www.bernardmondelloracing.com
Bill Trovato www.btrperformance.com
Dick Miller www.dickmillerracing.com
Rocket Racing www.rocketracingperformance.com

Any of these guys will set you straight! They have WAY more knowledge than Lynn or Jr. and they sell name brand parts and will not try to pass them off as their own.

In all, do what you want...but if you can learn from my mistake it will be cheaper for you. My head gasket problem has turned into a $600 oops.

Stephen

Last edited by ah64pilot; July 23rd, 2021 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added Dick Miller / added Rocket Racing
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Old School Olds

Well that sucks!
Good info, thanks for posting!
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I learned this from working in body shops and buying tools from snap on and matco. You may pay a premium price for the name . But usually quality and a good reputation go with it. When i buy parts i buy name brand from reputable sources.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:42 AM
"me somebody" site member

One or the other, fine, but I find the combination of the warning and the plug for the two other vendors distasteful. Just saying.
Old July 16th, 2012, 08:52 AM

I don't find it distasteful. I view any "plug" as simply another opinion. I doubt Bill or Andy is paying to have their names put out there. If so, that would change the playing field. But this info saves yet another post where someone asks "Where can I get good Olds engine parts", etc., etc. I will also attest to staying away from Modello.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
One or the other, fine, but I find the combination of the warning and the plug for the two other vendors distasteful. Just saying.
A plug is usually for one vendor and for compensation...by mentioning all of the other vendors besides Mondello without compensation I don't feel as if I am plugging anyone. I'm sorry you feel as if I am, but I completely disagree with you. New guys that don't know part numbers or what works for an Oldsmobile can't just call Summit or Jegs. They have to depend on others knowledge and experience, and the guys I mentioned have a plethora of each.

Originally Posted by 69HO43
I don't find it distasteful. I view any "plug" as simply another opinion. I doubt Bill or Andy is paying to have their names put out there. If so, that would change the playing field. But this info saves yet another post where someone asks "Where can I get good Olds engine parts", etc., etc. I will also attest to staying away from Modello.
You are correct in that I am not being paid in any way, shape, or form, for a referral to the aforementioned vendors.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM

Alien, I don't find it distasteful. We're car guys talking about what we've experienced. If you had a bad experience with one and a good one with another, wouldn't you tell a friend, or would you let him find out for himself.

I bought a rear main seal from Mondello for a rebuilt engine and I've noticed a leak. Could the engine builder have installed it wrong? Anything is possible, but the other engines he built are not leaking and the parts come from other suppliers.

I applaud Steve for his warning. Eating your hard earned cash is more distasteful in my opinion, not information. Someone pass the salt......

Last edited by 442much; July 16th, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
delete

Steve seems to be a fair & reasonable source of info in the past. I have no problem with it.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:22 AM

For too long I have held my tongue for fear of offending someone or getting my pee pee slapped. But there is no reason for anyone to waste money there when I have learned the hard way for them. And there are quite a few people that have had the same experiences.

Enough is enough, if they want to screw their loyal customers (I have been one since 1996 and spent over $20K with them) then that's their prerogative...but I see no sense in letting my friends and fellow Olds enthusiasts take that path only to be blindsided by their antics. Heed the warning or not, at least if you've read this post and continue to do business with them you are educated in doing so.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

steve the refrence to the pee pee slap is hilarious lol. I agree you did nothing wrong warning others is something anyone can appreciate specially when it comes to hard earned money. If they did good buisness they would not have a bad wrap . You would not see all these stories on bad customer service etc. etc. Now we have the internet and word spreads faster then ever so bad service will catch up pretty fast with them . I'll share a little story rocket racing did my heads and sold me all the parts for my roller tip rocker set up. I got charged a little more here and there according to some. But im happy. Why because i called him a bunch of times before i sent him anything he would be happy to talk and call me back if he was busy. When im at the local races i pit with them and talk and they treat me like family when you get service like that beyond the business front is when i dont mind shelling out a few extra bucks . Even last winter we talked at the race and performance expo and he was not in the least bit insulted that i was taking my stuff to another machine shop but he still gave me advice.

Last edited by coppercutlass; July 16th, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: adding in a story
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
For too long I have held my tongue for fear of offending someone or getting my pee pee slapped. But there is no reason for anyone to waste money there when I have learned the hard way for them. And there are quite a few people that have had the same experiences.

Enough is enough, if they want to screw their loyal customers (I have been one since 1996 and spent over $20K with them) then that's their prerogative...but I see no sense in letting my friends and fellow Olds enthusiasts take that path only to be blindsided by their antics. Heed the warning or not, at least if you've read this post and continue to do business with them you are educated in doing so.
Thank you Steve.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Ok folks nothin to see here, move on! Everyone needs a good pee pee slappin now and again.

My .02, with business, poor service, poor quality = out of business. It generally takes care of itself.
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by 442much
Thank you Steve.

X2. I knew exactly that he was speaking from experience.
That's what car guys do. If it's good or if it's bad.
When those damn bean counters get going, look out.
They have damaged more than one company.
Good or bad, word gets around, just sayin...
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM

I have heard other bad comments about this outfit, but did not know it was this bad.
Real life experience is worth posting about; we can all use a warning if we had not got one yet.
Too bad you had to find out the hard way.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:31 PM

I had used Mondello years and years ago. When Joe was there all was good.
I used "Lynn" one time and it was bad. Never used again.

Now a few days ago, I went on a road trip to Paso Robles. I had a gas tank for a '63 Cutlass for a gentleman from Los Angeles, so we met half way.
While there I thought I would look up "Mondello's" place. It is not the place I remember. I thought about going in and asking why they have such a bad rap.
But I was on some what of a schedule, so I took the pic and left. They had a shell of what look like a 72 Cutlass, also a maybe a '76 Cutlass. There was some other junk, but that is all.

Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Paso Robles road trip 016.jpg (57.7 KB, 293 views)

Last edited by 64Rocket; July 16th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It’s a sad day when Joe’s name is tarnished. He’s rolling in his grave right now because he wouldn’t have stood for this when he was walking amongst us. If you know anything about his involvement with the automotive world and his personal history and what he has done for the industry it is criminal that this crap is allowed. The fact that the business he started and ran for 60 years is allowed to be to be run into the ground is criminal.
A moment of silence please for the great V.O. Twister.
Ah64pilot, thanks for posting an intelligent warning to us. Thanks for the lead on reputable Olds vendors I would have done the same. I don’t mind the “plugging” one bit if it will keep us in business and keep cheap unsafe chinese crap out of the USA and put china out of business or force them to step up and get with it. Nuf said!
Old July 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM

dr I believe Joe sold the business to Lynn in 1999 but I may be off by a few years. He retired from that business to start the school in Tennessee (or is it Kentucky?). Anyway, Lynn has had bad business practices for a while and had a bad rap already while Joe was alive. I had not dealt with them for a few years while I was in flight school, nor had I seen any intelligible "warning" as to their practice so I took the chance and went with what I knew. I'm sad that I did...

As for USA made parts...keep us working keep us happy and the rest will sort itself out. Get rid of our jobs and we will falter, it's inevitable. EVERYTHING I buy, I try to buy USA.

Last edited by ah64pilot; July 23rd, 2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM

So Steve, those Mondello rockers that you sold me are crap???????????????
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM

The ones I sold you were the replacements that he sent in lieu of the ones that were crap. They were not the same rocker arms I was originally sold. I just didn't want to chance them in my engine because I have so much lift and was worried the spring pressure was too much. But as memory serves when I mentioned my concern you said someone told you they were ok? Here is a picture of the original rockers that broke on me:

Old July 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM

I don't think so. He gave out good advise.

I can't understand how this place is still in business. After that many years, Joe had to know what Lynn was doing. RIP Joe.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Still a little skeptical about you selling them on when you claim that all Mondello products are not good quality. I did say that someone told me that they would suit my engine build, Nothing about quality was mentioned. For my engine build they will most likely be fine as it wont be a very high HP engine, just a better than stock performance engine. It just seems a little hypocritical to me , that's all. Being relatively new to Oldsmobile I guess I should have done my home work. I was happy with the price you charged me so no problems in that department.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Ralph, I in no way intend to screw anyone. I did not sell you junk. The rockers you bought were supposed to be better than the ones I had, and were to hold up to the higher spring pressures...so I'm sure they will work in any mild build. I was not, however, willing to chance them again in my 500 HP engine.

I believe I represented the rockers well, and gave a back story of how I ended up with them. In any case, it wasn't until recently (June 2012) that I realized some of the other parts I bought from them had failed. Shoot, I ordered a cam from them in May...I was not, in any way, trying to mislead anyone.

I do not want to ruin a friendship over a set of rockers...and I really don't want to get a bad rap for selling them to you. I really wish you would have voiced your concern via private message instead of doing it publicly for everyone to see.
Old July 17th, 2012, 01:19 AM

I'm not at all disapointed in the transaction that I made with ah64pilot, its actually the opposite, I found him forthright and only to happy to help. I guess it just stung a little with the comments he was make concerning Mondello. I know that he is an honest person and would never hesitate to do business with him again. He has been an invaluable source of experience and information on this website and deserves our thanks and praise.
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Back in the early 90s I did alot of drag racing and had many conversations with Joe Mondello receiving great advise and parts. He had an awesome reputation and was a leader in olds research and development. I had been out of the game for years and was crushed to hear of the nightmares of dealing with them these days. A freind of mine just spent crazy money restoring a 70 w30, rebuilding the motor all stock. He has had nothing but trouble with the parts mondello's supplied him and is now dissasembling a brand new/detailed motor. I am personally shopping elswhere andappreciate any and all reccomendations on newer reputable guys selling olds parts..there are only so many doing it these days.
Old July 17th, 2012, 06:53 PM

The pic's that "AH" displayed are Ford 302 roller rockers. I bet they are for the 3/8 rocker studs, of which "lynn" drilled them for the 7/16 rocker studs. Which made the bars way to thin. No wonder they broke. If the replacements are made for the 7/16 rocker studs, all should be good to go.

Gene
Old July 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
The pic's that "AH" displayed are Ford 302 roller rockers. I bet they are for the 3/8 rocker studs, of which "lynn" drilled them for the 7/16 rocker studs. Which made the bars way to thin. No wonder they broke. If the replacements are made for the 7/16 rocker studs, all should be good to go.

Gene
When I sent the pictures to Randy Jr. at HS he said that's exactly what they did. Punched out a 3/8" rocker trunnion to make it fit 7/16".
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Thanks for the advice, sorry you had to learn the hard way ah64pilot. It sounds like the fallout from all the junk parts is relatively recent, it's a shame the repercussions a disreputable business can generate. Hopefully many more people will be helped thanks to your post.
Old July 18th, 2012, 05:11 AM
One part at a time

So if anyone made it this far and still wants a tip on where to get Oldsmobile parts...

I highly recommend Fusick! http://www.fusick.com/cutlass_442.htm

Since they sent me keychain with the last order this comment should be
considered a compensated endorsement.

Last edited by 67 442; July 18th, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:08 AM

Mondellos has certainly gone down hill since Lynn took over. It's a shame to see the name drug through the mud. The same thing happened with Art Carr transmissions when he sold it. For what it's worth, here is my recommendation for an Olds specific vendor: www.mjproformance.com

His prices are in line with Summit or Jegs and you get expert advice before, during and after the sale. He also never tries to upsell you on stuff you don't need.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM

Parts

Thank's Dude

It should be real easy to sell my Mondello Inertia Flexplate on this site now.

If anyone is interested I have a 330/425 Inertia flexplate, it claims to improve your 60ft times.

Mondello sells for $399.00 your price $200.00
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by FIRST 442
Thank's Dude

It should be real easy to sell my Mondello Inertia Flexplate on this site now.

If anyone is interested I have a 330/425 Inertia flexplate, it claims to improve your 60ft times.

Mondello sells for $399.00 your price $200.00
Sell it on Ebay. LOL!
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:41 PM

First442, Why did you not use the flywheel??
Joe Mondello came out with that flywheel years ago, I'm sure "Lynn" did not fool with that. It is made by somebody else, for him and "Joe" a long time ago.
"Joe" aced "Lynn" a number of years ago.

Gene
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Put me down for another with a crap mondello twister experience. I eventually got some of the money back. Joe was a huge help putting things right. It is a shame his name is attached to such garbage.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:13 PM

I've been doing this thing (Olds) for 20 plus yrs now. The trouble is Mondello is the first name a new-to-Olds guy hears, then the trouble starts. When the best known Olds high performance name screws people over, it hurts the brand as a whole.
It should be noted that Bernard Mondello, Joe's son, has his own engine biz, and to the best of my knowledge, has nothing to do with Lynn/Mondello
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by natedrag
It should be noted that Bernard Mondello, Joe's son, has his own engine biz, and to the best of my knowledge, has nothing to do with Lynn/Mondello
Right, no connection to the old Mondello Perf Parts outfit in CA run by Lynn.

Bernard is a good guy who learned about racing engines "back in the day" from Joe.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:53 PM

DANG!!! glad I read this post! Thanks Steve for pointing me to it. Like natedrag said, Mondello is the 1st name you find on this stuff. And thanks for the response, I like to do stuff like that on a PM as not to smear people.
Old July 19th, 2012, 05:17 AM

Personally I wouldn't buy a spark plug from OPP. I have had success and will do business with Rocket Racing, BTR, Dick Miller Racing again.

Sorry, but Joe was no saint or god. He bought parts in bulk, shipped them in brown paper bags and charged a very premium price. Joe was allright, I talked with him at Norwalk, Cordova and Byron at his races. He liked his money, booze and grabbing *** .
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
He liked his money, booze and grabbing *** .
Sounds like he and I had a lot in common.
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by chadman
Sounds like he and I had a lot in common.
But.....but.....but.....it was MY *** .
Old July 19th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Thank you for this thread AH64. I'm learning things as I go along and don't need more headaches as a greenhorn. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Warning to Newbies - Stay Away from Mondello