General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vinyl top color .... opinions?

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Maintained

Vinyl top color .... opinions?

So, lately I've been debating with myself whether to change the vinyl top color of my 442 from white to black. Reason being, I just don't like the looks of a white top, but I can live with it if it means being a better steward of this cars ownership.

Here's my issue. Car is very original right down to the original paint and stripes. It's a factory rally red car with black w30 stripes. The original owner
ordered the car with a white vinyl top. This is an odd combination, as most top colors would match the stripe color, but not this one.

The second owner replaced the the vinyl top with a factory white vinyl top about 10 years ago, because that is what the car was coded too.
I'm the third owner. I would have preferred a black top if I had ordered the car new, but I wasn't there.

Since this is a documented original car. Would it hurt the value if I changed the top color to black? The data tag shows a white top, so those in the know would see it's not original, but the replacement top is not original either.

Attached are a couple images to see the difference. Opinions appreciated.

I know, its Matador Red, but its the closest i could find.

Last edited by scottv442; January 4th, 2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: title change
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by scottv442
Would it hurt the value if I changed the top color to black?
IMHO, If you are trying to keep your car original I wouldn't change the color of the top. If you change the top to black then why not repaint the car a different color or put aftermarket wheels on it? It's a slippery slope.
Old January 4th, 2018, 09:39 AM

That first pic has black top and black interior, yours is white top and white interior. Somewhat consistent in that regard. Obviously up to ones preference, but if it were me and it bothered me a lot I would change top because versus a paint job, stripes or interior it might be the easier of them which can always be changed back.
I'm trying to visualize what it would look like with black top and white interior..... maybe might not flow?
As far as value: A lot of people change colors of whatever and Ive heard that if you stick with a color that was offered by the factory for that year then minimal depreciation in value. The cowl tag will tell the truth and your not hiding anything so if you can't live with it then do it and just be up front about it. You can always change it back for selling purposes, besides its already been changed (not original )
The original paint and stripes are not being touched and I think that is the more important thing as far as originality.
This is all just my opinion and Im sure people may feel otherwise. Its still a great car, valuable and desirable.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:10 AM
delete

Just me, nut I'd dye the top black. It can always be changed back later. I think the top & stripes being different colors makes it look too busy.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:11 AM

I very much like the white top/white interior! Leave it like it is as a unique and striking color combo. Tom
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:13 AM

I wouldn't change an original car.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Rocket Renegade!

A different color top isn't the end of the world. It's not something that can't be undone, so I don't think it would have a significant adverse effect on the car's value. Normally, I'm in the Originality camp, but I just don't see this as being a major issue. You can always change it back if you regret doing it.

It's your car. Make yourself happy.
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:37 AM
delete

My white top took some getting used to. For a little while I was thinking about going black

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158535685@N07/, on Flickr
Old January 4th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Vinyl Top

Vaughn

Dye the existing top black. It can always be re-dyed white or replaced with either a white or black top.

A third option is to remove the vinyl top & paint the roof white or black but I would start with dying that aftermarket top black & see how that change looks 1st.

I knew that sooner or later we would be having this very discussion.

Good Luck

Dave

Last edited by oldsmobiledave; January 4th, 2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Bfg

They say once you try black you won't go back!
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Maintained

thanks for all the replies. its too damn cold to do this right now, but never got to it last summer either. when the warmer time comes i'm leaning heavily towards black.
thought his would be a good place to gauge reactions and it is.
thanks again.

p.s. wonder what it would look like dyed rally red??
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:55 PM

not Red, if that's your thought take of the top completely. I'm with others, its your car ans not that big of an issue so it doesn't matter much. I do prefer top and interior to match but the fact that your car is triple color is unique already. I'm sure I have seen white top, red paint and black stripes before but must admit looking at yours I don't remember that. I think the white is striking, but do understand the look of the black top.
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Administrator

I don't see an issue here. Many cars have mixed top and interior colors. Mine was a white on white, but I did the opposite and left the painted top white and changed to black interior.
Old January 4th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Even if you changed the top to black it would still be a three color car. I think it should have white stripes to match the top an interior. If it was mine though I would leave it original.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:45 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The only advantage is blacks much easier to keep clean. You are a slave to white.

Last edited by droldsmorland; January 5th, 2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: neither myself nor spell ck can spell
Old January 4th, 2018, 11:28 PM

Maybe the original owner was thinking the argent gray wheels would match up with the black stripes, and the white top would match up with the white interior. Personally, I like unique color combination cars; makes it interesting and less run of the mill. The like the car as-is.
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by scottv442
Since this is a documented original car.
One thing nobody has mentioned is how the color of the vinyl top is documented. Is it on the body tag or build sheet, or does it just appear on the window sticker? Just wondering...

Ultimately, it's your car so do what you want.
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Black
Old January 5th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Maintained

Originally Posted by Olds64
One thing nobody has mentioned is how the color of the vinyl top is documented. Is it on the body tag or build sheet, or does it just appear on the window sticker? Just wondering...

Ultimately, it's your car so do what you want.

its documented as a white top on the Data Tag. A

Old January 5th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Oh ok, I wasn't sure.
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

I think the white top with the rally red and white interior looks sharp. It's definitely unique. I vote to keep it as is.
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:53 AM

My two cents,
If you view this car as an investment to sell and realize a prophet, then leave it as originally left the factory. If you view the car as your pleasure street pounder for many years to come, modifiy as you prefer.
One thing I look at is this, if the combo is rare, it is a fun conversation piece, plus you won't run into another like yours. So you have the individuality aspect, that will stand out from the pack of vinyl top 60s & 70s cars.

I have white vinyl on mine as was ordered with the 442 package and phantom white interior. White pin stripe, not sure if that was a dealer or factory option. White be it the top or interior is order to keep clean. All the more reason to keep clean, a healthy dose of Armour All, STP Son of Gun, or other, then clean up after a drive isn't to bad, insect wise.

In the end follow your vision and desire.
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

It is your car so whatever you like and what pleases you. I just think it looks about 20 times better with the black top. When somebody asks, just tell them the factory the original buyer didn't like it and the dealer changed it. Or you could tell them it is your car and it is what you like.
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:32 AM

Leave it white.
Old January 5th, 2018, 10:31 AM

My feeling is that the top and interior should match. I have always been a big fan of the black combo, but I think yours looks very good as is.