General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

vintage home video drag race footage of 442's from 1966-74

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Watched the first of two discs today. I told my wife it really reminded me of ME growing up---at the track every weekend. The '70 W-30 front fender stripes don't look original; I wonder if it was an assembly line repair. The footage is cool and shows just how far drag racing has come; from flag man to what we have now----I think I liked it better then.
I can assure you the stripes are still original. The one rear quarter panel on the passenger side is horrible and makes a bad dip. It can be seen in the video and have remain untouched to this day. That's the beauty of the videos and pictures I have of my car. Its proof to those who question it today.
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM

Nothing like original. The stripes look like they are on an angle instead of level; absolutely NOT knocking your car, just how it appears to me.
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM

I know how excited you are to have found a surviving W-30. And, it gets even better with the known history of some track time. And then it gets better yet with the movies showing your car winning with some respectable ETs. Congrats on your find and can we please see the car in it's current state?
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM

I received my DVD today... Most Excellent & Well Done ! This is a priceless piece of history of what your car did back in the day kicking butt & taking names. My Mother had my Fathers old drag race 8 mm movies transferred to VHS back in the day, black & white and no sound what so ever, a little boring to watch. I thinking about having the VHS tapes I have transferred to DVD & have music added.

The music you choose makes them more enjoyable. Again Well Done & thanks for sharing it.
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:31 AM

I know how excited you are to have found a surviving W-30. And, it gets even better with the known history of some track time. And then it gets better yet with the movies showing your car winning with some respectable ETs. Congrats on your find and can we please see the car in it's current state?
This is Bob from labor day weekend a few months back. Took the car to visit with him. this is the same house where the car resided since nov-'69. Planning a trip back up there on memorial day with the car to take it to a car show with him. 9-7-13visit.jpgbobvisitinfrontofhome.jpg
Old December 31st, 2013, 11:56 AM

That car looks fantastic! Please show us more!!!
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

The car looks great, I really do like the wheel and tire combo.

John
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:26 AM

Just watched the second disc and I love it! The "Goat" looks like it was belly-up at some point. Real cool transformation of that '66. Please show us more if your '70 W-30 as it is today.
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM

This was the 66 in the video that was being painted. It then got a new paint job in the 80's and this is the current state of it now still with a chevy 427. I was able to see it this past summer from his friend who now owns it. I also was given the original tow bar that towed my car due to the frame mounts still welded on my front frame.kungfu.jpgparade.jpgkungfu2013.jpg
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM

Just watched the second disc and I love it! The "Goat" looks like it was belly-up at some point. Real cool transformation of that '66. Please show us more if your '70 W-30 as it is today.
pictures above are current condition. It was rear ended in 1973 as he was down in milwaukee doing ride along cop duties. (he was a cop up north). a drunk driver in a '68 ford wagon hit him in the rear. I have the accident report and auto body reciept from then. The same body shop later painted that 66 in the dvd, So there has been some touched up spots on the car. The front clip and all the stripes have never been altered. The canadian decal on the valve cover he tells me was there from day one but the car never was slated for canada. maybe because it was delivered so far north in wi? I'm not sure. all I know is that I have the original owner to tell me these things. I do not plan to ever restore this car as it is too nice as is.It has just over 60,000 miles and he said alot of them are tow behind miles. His old school guages still reside under the dash as he ordered it without even a clock. He knew he was going to add a tach on the dash and the indentation is still there from his homemade clamp-bracket. He always ordered bench seat cars so he could keep the honeys close!! But ordered power windows. I have window sticker and all sales slips. The trunk is incredible for being a northern wi car. he claims he never drove it in a winter. Its a neat piece with a better story. I am proud to be the owner.w-30001.jpgw-30002.jpgw-30003.jpgw-30004.jpgw-30005.jpgw-30006.jpg
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:19 PM

Very cool Jason! Great, great story and thanks for sharing.
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:46 AM

heading down to sunny AZ for all of next week. I'm bringing some dvd's with, if anyone wants one email me and I'll hook up with you at the auction or pavillions mc donalds show on the 18th. jstrits@sbcglobal.net
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:57 PM

Nice to see the AZ trip follow up .

Jason , it is absolutely beautiful down here now . Mid 70's day , low 40's night . I was @ the Pavilion's 3 - 6 pm today and the show was stellar .
50 % of the cars were new , and many from out of state . I've never seen that many cars there .
I wanted to get a little input from Fred Mandrick as he had the Fouranado
F.W.D. Olds Cutlass parked right in the center of action . A nonstop procession of professional talkers kept him busy and I could not even get in a question or intro . It was kind of crazy , there were 10 - 20 people just forming a circle around the car continuously . The guys with a Hemi 68 Dart next to his car could not figure out why everybody just bypassed their car and were just drawn to the Gold FWD Cutlass. .. The restoration on that car is just amazing .
I will be at Barrett - Jackson tomorrow for Family Day . AND , try to get some info on parking and when the Gates open for Gala events Monday evening . I look forward to purchasing your Drag Videos , and perhaps
meeting up on Monday evening .. It is going to be a great week .
Thanks , Jim Tuma.
Old January 11th, 2014, 11:26 PM

I saw freds car in person at the muscle car nats in chicago last nov. It is stellar. Got to see it at his home last jan right before he dove into it. Cant wait to see some sun. Talk soon.
Originally Posted by Jimi2much
Jason , it is absolutely beautiful down here now . Mid 70's day , low 40's night . I was @ the Pavilion's 3 - 6 pm today and the show was stellar .
50 % of the cars were new , and many from out of state . I've never seen that many cars there .
I wanted to get a little input from Fred Mandrick as he had the Fouranado
F.W.D. Olds Cutlass parked right in the center of action . A nonstop procession of professional talkers kept him busy and I could not even get in a question or intro . It was kind of crazy , there were 10 - 20 people just forming a circle around the car continuously . The guys with a Hemi 68 Dart next to his car could not figure out why everybody just bypassed their car and were just drawn to the Gold FWD Cutlass. .. The restoration on that car is just amazing .
I will be at Barrett - Jackson tomorrow for Family Day . AND , try to get some info on parking and when the Gates open for Gala events Monday evening . I look forward to purchasing your Drag Videos , and perhaps
meeting up on Monday evening .. It is going to be a great week .
Thanks , Jim Tuma.
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Amazing Video .

What a time capsule ! 3 early drag strips , 66's racing on the highway , Smokin Hot 60's chicks , Rhinelander WI. , discovering slicks , 13.05 down to 12.85 , Homecoming Queens + Parades , and just the details of ALL of our lives in the background .
Big Props to pulling this all together . I get very emotional watching footage like this . Some of it is just so personal . And , I'm only through the first DVD . This DVD just captures exactly what I used to do in the summers of
1968 - 1970 ... I love the people in the background .
Jason , just outstanding . And great to see you are keeping this car exactly as it is ( Yikes ) and was...
I'm calling you this AM , thanks for bringing the DVD to Barrett - Jackson .
Timeless stuff. JT
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:54 PM

still have some
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:48 PM

I will take a set, you can pm me paying instructions ty Dean
Old April 30th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Ancient Olds Lover

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
I will take a set, you can pm me paying instructions ty Dean
You won't be sorry, Dean. Some pretty cool stuff on there!
Old April 30th, 2014, 05:50 PM

oh good to know thanks
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:42 AM

Just sent 3 more. Canada and New Zealand to name a few places. Still have more.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Discs received....watching tonight!

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by jstrits
Just sent 3 more. Canada and New Zealand to name a few places. Still have more.

I will take a set Dean
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM

pm sent
Old April 12th, 2015, 08:52 AM

have a few left