General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vin numbers

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:15 PM

Vin numbers

Needing to get a 1972 Toronado registered in Oregon.I am positiive the car is completely original. They need vin numbers from the body, engine and frame. I am assuming that the body vin is the one on the dashboard that you can see through the windshield. Where would I find the engine vin and the frame vin? Many thanks.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:20 PM
"Car"mudgeon

The VIN derivative on the engine is below the #1 spark plug on a flat pad. The location on the frame should be right under the driver's seat on the frame. IIRC
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:34 PM

Many thanks

May thanks for the help.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Randy C.

I don't know about Toronados, but on A-bodies the VIN derivative on the frame is in a place that is impossible to see - on top of the frame and, with the body on, it would be a real challenge to see it.

Randy C.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 05:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll point out once again that those other stampings are not complete 13 character VINs, they are 9 character VIN derivatives. They only include the first character of the full VIN and the last eight characters. I suggest you speak to someone at the DMV who is older than your car. This "multiple VIN" discussion come up a lot. Older cars don't have multiple instances of full VIN stampings. Young DMV employees are not aware of this.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Why does DMV need all these reassurance of the cars heritage in the first place? Do you have to go through those hoops if you buy a new car or one that is 10 years old? Sorry but this just sounds retarded.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 02:05 PM

Vin Numbers

The car was originally registered in Montana and was Montana licensed when garaged in 1990. Sale of the car to me was in Oregon. I live in Washington and want to get it registered here. DMV says no can do. Cannot register a Montana car that was sold in Oregon. Hence I need to get it registered in Oregon as the first step. Don't you just love bureaucracy?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow that sounds like BS. All we need up here to get registered is an out of province OOP vehicle inspection (licensed of course) and certificate that it was never written off and put back on the road.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:44 PM

I guess we have it easy in Wisconsin, all we do is hand over the title and a check and they hand us a new title and plates.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:14 PM

I replaced the frame on my car when I was in the process of rebuilding it. It was a tired mess of rot and damaged from front corner clip sometime in its life. But why would a frame vin matter? It's like replacing a door or fender.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 04:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by orence1
The car was originally registered in Montana and was Montana licensed when garaged in 1990. Sale of the car to me was in Oregon. I live in Washington and want to get it registered here. DMV says no can do. Cannot register a Montana car that was sold in Oregon. Hence I need to get it registered in Oregon as the first step. Don't you just love bureaucracy?
It doesn't sound like bureaucracy to me - it sounds like getting your pound of flesh.

You bought a car from Montana while you lived in Oregon.
Then you moved to Washington.
Presumably, you never registered the car in Oregon, and presumably, there was some sort of evidence that the car had passed to you while you lived in Oregon (such as your having written your Oregon address on the back of the Montana title).
Therefore, you owe sales tax to the state of Oregon, and possibly some sort of sales or transfer tax to the state of Washington.

If Washington thought that the car had come straight from Montana, this would be simpler, but each jurisdiction wants to get its share of your hard-earned money - it's not bureaucracy, it's just plain old fashioned government thievery.

- Eric
Old March 23rd, 2015, 06:42 PM
Randy C.

No sales tax in Oregon.

But I do know the hassles the State of Washington Dept. of Licensing puts you through. I had to jump through hoops to license a car that belonged to my father and has been in Washington since 1971 (not licensed from 1982-2007). They wanted to charge me a sales tax based on some far out collector car value when all my dad wanted to do was give it to me. We bounced back and forth all day between the county court house and the state Dept. of Finance before the state would finally see things my way.

The bureaucracy is crazy here, in my opinion. I'd be glad to license my car in Oregon and keep it there!

Randy C.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I had to jump through hoops to license a car that belonged to my father and has been in Washington since 1971 (not licensed from 1982-2007).
Wow. In every state I've been in, transfers between immediate family members are free of sales tax.
I've never heard of this.

- Eric