General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Vacuum tank on 69? Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2019 | 06:51 AM

Vacuum tank on 69? Cutlass

I am trying to track down a number of loose vacuum lines in an attempt to get heating/ac working. I have looked thru the CSM and the Assembly Manual and see a reference to a vacuum tank. I looked on ebay for some good engine compartment pics and see what appears to be a round tank on the firewall. Is that the vacuum tank? I looked in OPGI and Fusick and see no such item for sale. Am I missing it? Is there a diagram somewhere that shows clear routing of all vacuum lines? I have looked but seem to only find partial ones and difficult ones to see/read in the Assembly manual. Any help is appreciated. thanks,
Steve
Old September 20th, 2019 | 07:13 AM

The vacuum tank is on the firewall. There's 3 vac lines you need to connect under the hood for the a/c The larger port on the tank is for manifold vacuum( to to the intake behind the carb) There should be 2 small lines coming through the firewall one has a white stripe & goes to your heater control valve at the back corner of the intake, the other small one is just black & goes to the smaller port in the vac tank. If your car also has the optional vacuum trunk release or power door locks( I believe they were vacuum operated for '69), you'll have another vac tank hidden under the drivers fender. Also the reproduction vac tanks that everyone sells are the later "ball" style. They work but they don't look like the originals. I circled mine in the pic, it's the original design.
Old September 20th, 2019 | 07:48 AM

Thanks, my car has been a bit of a puzzle with missing pieces. I don't know what's missing until I try to figure out why somethings not working. Then i dig in and realize stuffs missing. Well, it's an education on the car. I will have my Olds GED in a year or so.

Steve
Old September 20th, 2019 | 08:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

The vacuum tank is a reservoir to provide vacuum to the HVAC system during periods of low engine vacuum (like wide open throttle operation). If it were not there, the HVAC actuators would revert to their default positions any time you nailed the throttle. There is either a check valve in the inlet port of the tank or a separate one in that hose feeds it.
Old September 20th, 2019 | 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
I looked on ebay for some good engine compartment pics and see what appears to be a round tank on the firewall. Is that the vacuum tank? I looked in OPGI and Fusick and see no such item for sale. Am I missing it?
There's no reason to buy one new. I've got one for $35 shipped. If you're interested let me know
Old September 20th, 2019 | 08:16 AM

Ahh, I took a look on ebay after seeing the prior post with a pic and bought it. I generally prefer to but from guys on the list and support fellow Olds Guys. I'll wait a little more next time. Is there a best place to look in the manuals for a diagram? the Assembly manual is difficult to make out.
thanks
Old September 20th, 2019 | 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Phoenix8990
Ahh, I took a look on ebay after seeing the prior post with a pic and bought it. I generally prefer to but from guys on the list and support fellow Olds Guys. I'll wait a little more next time. Is there a best place to look in the manuals for a diagram? the Assembly manual is difficult to make out.
thanks
You probably got a better deal....lol

I just looked at the eBay listings and $25 shipped is probably a more reasonable price

The assembly manual is still probably the best place. The problem is they use the same sketches from year to year and if things were updated they don't always show the most recent part. I saw an eBay listing for 66-67 plastic vacuum tank. I think they switched to plastic in 67 or 68 so people don't often know what their car originally came with anyway
Old March 29th, 2022 | 04:25 PM

Large rectangular tank at front of driver fever is for brake booster vacuum and for headlights. Oblong tank under driver fender near cowl services Comfortron. Small plastic globe tank on cowl, driver side, is for vacuum trunk release.

If you had regular AC the metal oblong tank would be absent, and you'd have 2 plastic glove tanks with check valve internal - one for vacuum trunk release, one for regular AC to operate vacuum actuators ( many more actuators for Comfortron as well as master switch and servo so large tank required).
if your car has vacuum for locks, it has a coffee can shaped tank on front passenger fender behind the battery. Had a check valve. Same as Ford used, these were made by Trico.

If you actually had a 67 Toro with K-50 option, Climatic Combustion Control air cleaner, vacuum to operate snorkel doors comes directly from engine manifold vacuum via special hole bolt for carburetor to head attachment.