General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

unrestored/Original Class (class 11)

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Therein lies the question: Is the intent of the class to identify (reward?) ultra-special cars? Or is the intent to attract cars which can serve as a reference for everyone?

The two are not compatible. There are not enough ultra-special cars out there to serve as references.
The more repairs that are allowed, the less the incentive to preserve an original car. If a rebuilt engine is allowed, there's nothing stopping an owner from rebuilding an engine that might be leaking a little and using some oil, but is running fine and untouched from the factory. If a replacement headliner is allowed, this requires removal of a lot of the garnish trim and other parts in the interior (and possibly the seats or windshield to get the headliner board out). An owner might choose to replace a headliner or upholstery material that is stained but otherwise untouched. How is that in the spirit of preservation? Sorry, but it is a slippery slope. Given how many bogus cars are out there today, the potential for abuse is far too great.

Bottom line is that my opinion doesn't matter. The club sets the rules. The club membership can move to have the rules changed if the majority want that.
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Fair enough. And yes, your opinion does matter.

I guess I don't see any reward in the class as it stands, therefore no incentive to leave the rules the way they are either. It's not like this is some sort of NCRS certification.

Are judging rules really something open for membership to decide? Apart from choosing directors and changing bylaws, I don't think anything else is open for movement or vote. But I don't get into the politics thing, so I don't know.
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

I see both sides of the argument to a degree ......

But I have to lean towards 100% untouched (sans maintenance items) in regards to the classification of an un-restored original vehicle.

I'd love to see some other changes with OCA judging classes tho'.

Some of the year/generation splits are beyond baffling & make no sense to me.

Take 14C as just ONE example.

It's about as "apples vs oranges" as it gets.
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM
morgan

This for me is not a brain strainer it is what it is, if you rework the engine or paint a panel it has been restored...I see many cars not oldsmobile that are just as they came from the factory. I can see both sides of this but are car factory preserved is a status thing and reference as it should be
Old July 29th, 2015, 03:53 PM

"im sure that ther are many cars untoched"

I for one would like to see the untouched "Muscle Cars" and "Classics" !
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
"im sure that ther are many cars untoched"

I for one would like to see the untouched "Muscle Cars" and "Classics" !
So how many guys who claim their cars are untouched but had starters go bad and had them rebuilt with the original case. Let alone other stuff engine parts ect.
Old July 29th, 2015, 05:56 PM

I guess for me personally I don't see it as a slippery slope. My engine is not factory installed so that counts out the entire engine compartment. If one panel was repainted it counts out the entire body. If part of the carpet was replaced the interior is out.... I can fully understant that. I just don't see why the engine counts out the interior and body.

I hope to get several 61 to 63 guys motivated to attend the nationals next year. If we can get several to show up I will want to park with them so this class will be out for me anyway.
Old July 29th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
I see both sides of the argument to a degree ......

But I have to lean towards 100% untouched (sans maintenance items) in regards to the classification of an un-restored original vehicle.

I'd love to see some other changes with OCA judging classes tho'.

Some of the year/generation splits are beyond baffling & make no sense to me.

Take 14C as just ONE example.

It's about as "apples vs oranges" as it gets.
I believe that class 15A (89-2004 all models not listed elsewhere) is the most bothersome to me.

For the most part all classes are judged against the sheet not each other! Which I had to explain to another gent on the show car field. He said he was protesting that his 73 was grouped with 70-75 rear drive non performance. I told him to relax and mentioned each car is judged on it's own merit.

Most segments i.e. interior, engine compartment etc. Authenticity: max 20 point deduct.

FYI 95% of the cars on the field I would be proud to own.

For the must part and this pertains to the majority of the cars I have judged it seems to be cleaning and detailing seem to be a major culprit for points lossage.

Pat
OCA master judge