General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Turn Signals not working.....

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Turn Signals not working.....

Hey all, been a long time! Anyway, I have a question that maybe one of you can answer...I have a 72 Cutlass, and the turn signals have stopped flashing....they work, and turn on, but just don't flash. Can somebody here give me a quick answer to maybe what the problem is? Thanks in advance.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:00 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Bulb? One bad bulb will make one side stay on but not flash/blink. Or do you mean your hazard lights don't blink?
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Always room for one more

If it's both sides it could be the flasher unit. Little round metal guy stuck in the fuse block.

Mike
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reply fellas....the hazards are flashing fine as they should when turned on, but the turn signals aren't working...I found 2 (possibly 3, third one I can't tell because it's gotten paint overspray on it) side marker lights that are burnt out. Could that be the problemo?
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Side markers should not keep them from working. If signals come on okay on both sides, and all the bulbs are good, replace the turn signal flasher. This is the round metal can UP UNDER the dash, to the left of the column. Should be in a clip. Yes, it is a little difficult to find. The little can in the fuse block in the 72 models is for the four-way flasher - unrelated to the turn signals.
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:52 PM

OK, thank you, I will try that. Much appreciated!
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Always room for one more

Ah Rob you beat me to it. I realized my error and got back as fast as I could to amend my statement. My apologies, Kevin, for giving bad advice.

The flasher unit is indeed on its own little harness under the dash, and not in the block. Does this make me a block head?

Mike
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Thanks fellers...got 'em working again, that little bugger was a b**** to find, but I found it, got a new one, and all is well, ('cept the rear side marker lights aren't working, but that's for another day)....anyway Mike, that doesn't make you a block head, just more forgetful as we all age....anyway, thanks again guys. Rob, big thanks to you too, man.

Kevin
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:11 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Glad you got em working.
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
The flasher unit is indeed on its own little harness under the dash, and not in the block. Does this make me a block head?
Oh, no.
A little round metal can-head, maybe...
J/K...

Originally Posted by kevin.horton
Thanks fellers...got 'em working again, that little bugger was a b**** to find,
Yep, I remember searching for mine long ago. After that PITA, there is no way I could forget its location!

anyway, thanks again guys. Rob, big thanks to you too, man.
Not a problem - thats what this forum is all about.
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Maybe a little late after the fact Rob, but a fairly 'easy' way to get to that flasher for me seemed to be to remove the bezel, then the leftmost gauge cluster, and stick your hand down there carefully. Be advised, it may only work if you can contort a little, and have small hands! The rear side markers are on the same circuit as the tail lamp positive (brown wire) so most likely the bulbs have quit. Not sure what you mean by they are not working, but they do not flash with the signals, only the front ones do.
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Vistabrat72
Not sure what you mean by they are not working, but they do not flash with the signals, only the front ones do.
Thanks Vista, for the additional information, so based on what you said above, the rear side markers don't flash with the signals like they do up front? So are they just on when the Parking lights or Headlights are on? I replaced the bulbs in both. So maybe they do work......
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Turn Signals Don't Work.

I got the bright idea to put a third brake light on the package shelf of my 80 Cutlass! I bared out the taillight wires in the trunk, wound the copper wires from the new light around them, and taped them up. Job finished, or so I thought. Over time my signals blinked slower and slower until they finally stopped altogether! When I looked in the trunk, my wiring was burnt to a crisp! Nobody told me that aluminum wiring isn't compatible with copper! I had to get a ceramic block with screw in connectors and fasten the copper wires to one side and the aluminum wires to the other side with the steel connectors in between. At least the car didn't go up in flames!
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BOOWAH
...Nobody told me that aluminum wiring isn't compatible with copper!....

That mistake has burnt down a lot of houses.
Old February 18th, 2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks Vista, for the additional information, so based on what you said above, the rear side markers don't flash with the signals like they do up front? So are they just on when the Parking lights or Headlights are on? I replaced the bulbs in both. So maybe they do work......
You are welcome Yes, that is correct Kevin. The rear side markers light up as would the tail lamps, they do not work at all in unison with the flashers. They could be wired to do so, it is fairly easy actually, but it is redundant in the Cutlass vehicles, as they are mounted quite low, and the tail lamps are quite visible as they stand. By the way, most vehicles without (front mostly) side markers that flash in unison with turn signals can be readily retrofitted to do so.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM

Thanks fellers...got 'em working again, that little bugger was a b**** to find, but I found it, got a new one, and all is well, ('cept the rear side marker lights aren't working, but that's for another day)....anyway Mike, that doesn't make you a block head, just more forgetful as we all age....anyway, thanks again guys. Rob, big thanks to you too, man.

Kevin
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM

I know my flasher needs to be replaced and cannot find flasher under dash could you guys save me the trouble and let me know if its a 2 or 3 prong?
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Two prong - they sit at a 90° angle to one another.

- Eric