Turn signals not flashing, 71 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Turn signals not flashing, 71 Cutlass S

All,
Just drove my Cutlass round the neighborhood to test everything. it was shifting ok, backfired a lot at first but once I drove her about 3 miles that cleared up. The guy is coming to fix the brakes at 4. Only thing I ran into are 2 issues:

#1 My turn signals come on, but don't flash when I turn them on. I can turn on the hazards and all lights blink correctly. But if I turn on the left or right turn signal indicator, the lights on whichever side I turned on just stay on. My front turn signals, front markers, rear turn signals, and the dash indicator all come on but they don;t flash.

#2 No brake lights. When I turn the headlights on I think the brake signal light on the passenger side lower part came on but the lower part on the drivers side did not. Ill have to double check this though. I was thinking of checking the brake pedal switch to make sure it had 12V but I am not sure which wire on there is supposed to have it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

paul
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM

First thing I'd check is make sure all your bulbs are good, If so check your flasher relay switch. Not sure on Cutlass but mine is plugged into fuse box. Brake light I dont know. Good luck.
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by jpaulwhite
All,
Just drove my Cutlass round the neighborhood to test everything. it was shifting ok, backfired a lot at first but once I drove her about 3 miles that cleared up. The guy is coming to fix the brakes at 4. Only thing I ran into are 2 issues:

#1 My turn signals come on, but don't flash when I turn them on. I can turn on the hazards and all lights blink correctly. But if I turn on the left or right turn signal indicator, the lights on whichever side I turned on just stay on. My front turn signals, front markers, rear turn signals, and the dash indicator all come on but they don;t flash.

#2 No brake lights. When I turn the headlights on I think the brake signal light on the passenger side lower part came on but the lower part on the drivers side did not. Ill have to double check this though. I was thinking of checking the brake pedal switch to make sure it had 12V but I am not sure which wire on there is supposed to have it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks

paul
Ok. Brake lights are working now. I didn't do anything, I guess sincve it was so bright out today I couldnt see the reflection in the glass doors I was suing to check em.

Still no turn signals. Im thinking its the flasher since all the lights come on when I engage the turn signal but they don't flash. When I turn on the hazards all lights blink fine

paul
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM

That's the first clue that is a bulb when the turn signal comes on but does not blink.
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That's the first clue that is a bulb when the turn signal comes on but does not blink.
Same thing I thought too. I replaced the bulbs that were out. But the rest of the bulbs were on
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Registered

My '71 Vista has a clip just to the left side of the column up under the dash that holds the directional flasher unit.
Old March 27th, 2010, 08:38 PM

My 72 Cutlass has the flasher (safety Hazards ) unit pluged into the top left of the fuse box and the turn signal flasher under the dash left of steering column like bluevistas.
Since both sides dont blink and if your safety hazards blink I would think it is your turn signal flasher fuse that is bad.
On my car the rear side marker lights do not blink , The same filament on the bulb as the brake light (there are 2 filaments on each rear tail light bulb) is the only one that will blink.So if you have brake lights at least your rear bulbs are good.