General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Turbo Rocket Fluid!!

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2013, 04:58 PM

Turbo Rocket Fluid!!

My wife's 62 Jetfire was missing the extra reserve bottle of turbo rocket fluid when we got the car. We found a bottle that was close but i was not happy with it. I just picked up an NOS bottle of fluid in the correct glass bottle and metal lid off of eBay!!! Never thought i would ever find a correct bottle with cap!

I know, It don't take much to get me excited. With Jetfire parts so hard to find, Any little thing is a BIG victory!

100_1596_zpsf30a3a15.jpg?t=1362098841
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Educate us. What does that stuff do?

Great score by the way. Shows you can still find stuff on ebay occasionally. Not like it used to be back in the Early Aughts though. Hopefully you didn't have to pay through the nose for it.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:13 PM

The Jetfire had 10.5:1 compression with 6 lbs of boost pressure. Most turbo cars are around 8:1 but almost always under 9:1. With the combined compression and boost it would detonate even with 1962 premium gas. To fix this and to not have to run race gas they would use this and inject it into the suck side of the turbo. Turbo rocket fluid is nothing more than water/methanol mixed. It is injected into the intake to cool the incoming fuel mix. as the water evaporates it sucks up the heat. Without it the engine would melt down. Oldsmobile added a safety that if you ran out of fluid it would close a secondary butterfly to act as a restrictor and the turbo would not spool more than 1psi. If you ran out you could just use water till you got more of the correct fluid.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM

So you can make your own Turbo Rocket Fluid and keep your new bottle refilled? Do you know how long a bottle of that would last under normal usage?
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM

I will never open this. The easiest way to make it is to get -20 degree windshield washer fluid and add 5 bottles of HEET (yellow bottle) then add 6 OZ of water pump lube to kill the corrosiveness. Or just get Methanol and mix 50/50 with distilled water.

The tank hold around 6 quarts. it wil last anywhere from 200-2000 miles. All in how often you build boost. It is only injected when it is boosting.

If you ask me a year ago i would have had no idea,lol.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:07 PM

haha it must have been you that I got in a bidding war with for this. You must have had the damn thing sniped lol. Enjoy it, my quest for a spare bottle continues.
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM

I was told all these were is an old white house vineagar bottle and someone reproduces the labels. Be cool to start making reproductions.
Old March 1st, 2013, 05:27 AM

lol, you almost got it. I made my first bid about 8 seconds earlier than i should have. I didn't want to pay that much for it but it was the only thing i needed. I have the reproduction decal that came from Jim with my turbo rebuild. I got one of the newer vinegar bottles that look close but the threads will only fit the plastic new style lid. I didn't use my sticker hoping i would find the correct bottle. Didn't think i would get a bottle with a good sticker. This sticker is very dry and i think the wind under the hood will make it fall apart so i am glad i have the other decal.
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM

What would it do in a n/a car like a fuel additive. just curious
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:40 AM

Would not work as a fuel additive. They make modern kits to do this but it's function is only affective on boosted cars. When not boosting you would not need race gas. Race gas would only be needed when boosting. This is a cheaper way than running race gas all the time. Also race gas is not DOT legal and this is. The only purpouse for this stuff to be injected is to absorb heat from the intake air/fuel mix. As a side affect they discovered that the expansion of the steam created when absorbing the heat creates just a little more power.

If you put this in you tank, it would be the same thing as adding water to your tank just to use HEET to fix the problem you just created... only much worse than the normal reason for using HEET.

Last edited by jensenracing77; March 1st, 2013 at 06:42 AM.