General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trying to learn about this before I buy, 1963 98 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I'm curious If the stock cam (if it has a stock cam in it) will support those dual 4bbl carbs. Then again I guess anything is possible with enough metering rods and a pocket full of jets... Tedd
Look closely. Those carbs are E-brocks, so they aren't that old. The E-brock (like the AFB) is an air valve carb, so airflow is only what the engine can use. Also, note the progressive linkage. That's the same setup I had on a relatively mild 455 Olds that got 14+ MPG and high 11 sec quarter miles in a 71 Cutlass. The primaries of the back carb open first, then the primaries on the front carb, then the secondaries on the back, and finally the secondaries on the front. All eight are fully open at the same time due to the progressive linkage. It's actually a relatively streetable setup. I did have to make some metering rod tweaks on mine, but it ran pretty well with the stock calibration. I used a pair of 500 CFM carbs.
Old January 18th, 2016, 07:21 AM

The owner started it for me when I was there & it seemed to run just fine. The chokes were not set or adjusted so I had to blip the throttle for a minute to get it to stay running but once I did that it seemed to idle nicely with a hint of a cam while listening to the exhaust.
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:51 AM

I don't think you should buy it but should tell me where it is located

That thing is great! I hope it works out for you to get it home.
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:49 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Shifter looks like the factory 67-68 Pontiac full size shifter handle.

A full sized shifter dipped in Oreo cookie sprinkles...uuummm tasty
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
That is one damn Loooooooong trans.

Steel plate on RH side of trans mount looks sketchy.

I would be looking at trans major component casting numbers, see what that reveals.

Yeah, even if not a factory build... worthy.
Originally Posted by 2Olds4U
Ya, those plates (there is one on each side) were the only things that made the factory thing a little dubious. Pity that they didn't find a regular bell housing to work. And he did say it was a 67 Muncie.

But a very unique vehicle still.
Those plates look like added beefery to help support the trans/belhousing. Joe P mentioned the lack of a rear crossmember so they might have figured more support at the rear is better.

That car is truly unique and your Mrs. will be the envy of any self respecting hot rodder.

Last edited by cjsdad; January 19th, 2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old January 19th, 2016, 08:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by cjsdad
Those plates look like added beefery to help support the trans/belhousing. Joe P mentioned the lack of a rear crossmember so they might have figured more support at the rear is better.
Actually, as Gene pointed out earlier, they ARE the rear mounts. The factory bellhousing had provisions for these two mounts. Apparently the aftermarket bellhousing required fabricated brackets to mate up to the stock mount locations.
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:51 AM

The 61-64 full size cars (except for the 1964 J88) used a single front motor mount and a pair of rear mounts on either side of the bellhousing. There was no trans crossmember.

I've often wondered about this being a major weak spot in any high performance use of these cars although probably very few were used that way. With a 4-speed though you would think an add-on crossmember might be a good idea. Was Olds the only maker that did this?
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
I've often wondered about this being a major weak spot in any high performance use of these cars although probably very few were used that way. With a 4-speed though you would think an add-on crossmember might be a good idea. Was Olds the only maker that did this?
This was standard design for all GMs of that period. Why do you think is isn't strong enough? Admittedly most transmissions of that period were cast iron, so they were much stiffer than an aluminum trans case, but the driveshaft is still the weak link. The use of side motor mounts and a rear trans mount really correspond to the use of aluminum bellhousings and trans cases. And yes, I realize that the parts in this car are aluminum, but the reality is that strength is not an issue. There are U-joints in the driveshaft - where can you possibly get side loads on the trans case that would require a rear crossmember? The main load being carried is torque, and that is carried by the the bellhousing to trans bolts.
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:24 PM

This was standard design for all GMs of that period. Why do you think is isn't strong enough? Admittedly most transmissions of that period were cast iron, so they were much stiffer than an aluminum trans case, but the driveshaft is still the weak link. The use of side motor mounts and a rear trans mount really correspond to the use of aluminum bellhousings and trans cases. And yes, I realize that the parts in this car are aluminum, but the reality is that strength is not an issue. There are U-joints in the driveshaft - where can you possibly get side loads on the trans case that would require a rear crossmember? The main load being carried is torque, and that is carried by the the bellhousing to trans bolts.
About the only benefit I can see from the rear mount is that the transmission is held then at bellhousing to engine and rear to the car, as opposed to just the bellhousing to the car. I would think this would help shock loads from bouncing on the rear of the transmission. I know modern RWD mounts are not really torque resistant back there, they just hold the tail end up.
Old January 20th, 2016, 07:46 PM

The guy texted me Monday that he was buying another '63 98 to use as a parts car for this one & that he does not want to sell right yet. The other car has a console & some other parts so maybe he'll improve her a bit? Still have my eye on it & hope to get right of first refusal but think she's in good hands for now.
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:15 AM

mate , just buy it make him a offer , go for it ....before someone else snaps it up and ya will be kikin ya butt!
Old January 21st, 2016, 04:56 AM

The cat is out of the bag, 5000 people who have talked to other people now know about it.
I think you should talk to this guy and mention that you want first refusal or by the time you catch up to him next time some one else will be talking about it.
Just my thoughts and yes I have waited only to see a car in some one elses hands and for less then I would have paid.
Steve
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:17 AM

Thanks Joe. My 60s GM experience is limited to 63-64 big Olds, 63 Buick Riviera, and 68-72 Cutlasses, and the big Olds is the only one that didn't have a rear trans mount. I'm no engineer but it just seemed like the long tailshaft and driveshaft hanging out there without support could be a problem.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:13 PM

I have a car very similar to this one. It is a 1964 98 convertible, severely reworked 394 out to 427, quads, loaded all options including cruise.etc etc. It has a Caddy box instead of a four speed, same pedals but bench seat, and straight axle front end. I know exactly how this guy did the trans conversion, I have done them. I dimly recall this car from the HAMB some years ago. I made the same steel plates to pick up the rear motor mounts on my '52 88 when I put a Packard floor box in it. Used a Speed Gems adapter bell as is seen here. Hope you get it.
Old March 11th, 2016, 10:52 AM

what ever happened with this?

my buddy found the car i think..he's being vague, but it sounds just like this car...hes dancing around on a few items..i dont think hes on this site...but the more i press..the more he dances..lol..
Old March 11th, 2016, 03:46 PM

Mark,
When I found out about the car the owner did not want to sell it. I texted him today to ask again just to make sure though. Still a no for now. Is the car your friend looking at in Indianapolis? I can't imagine there would be many like this?
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:25 PM

most of the people i know and ran with are from Indiana...i lived over there for 5 years and worked the territory for 10 years prior...im finally blending into KC...so i am drifting away form all of them...

i dont know where its at, hes playing games..hes a Pharmacist..he gets around over there a lot..he lives in Terre Haute...but really gets around...hes way up in a well know pharmacy chain company...or he says...i do know hes loaded...and he likes to spread the news around..good guy..just a little obnoxious

but he said a few things that are specific and would only know if he saw it..or talked to you so i dunno..hes fishing for pricing and rareness etc..i havent told him much..the more he dances the more i do

i was hoping you got it...its pretty cool and a real Olds guy deserves to get it.

Last edited by marxjunk; March 11th, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:34 PM

I see. The guy that has it now bought another '63 98 with a bad frame as a parts donor to replace some bits & pieces that this one is missing. He is really a Mopar guy but stumbled across this Olds. & I may still end up with it. My wife really wants the car & I am going to try to take her with me tomorrow to visit the guy & car & see if she can persuade him to sell it to us.
Old March 12th, 2016, 07:15 AM

kinda fits..my buddy is a big AMX guy and his brother is huge into Mopars..and some how those 2 guys get more car leads than you can imagine..
Old January 17th, 2021, 08:15 AM

There's no way the James Garner 'vert sold, I gotta call baloney on that. Nobody is that stupid
Old January 17th, 2021, 08:20 AM

Last edited by chuck_royle; January 17th, 2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old January 17th, 2021, 08:23 AM

I realize that this is an older thread, but I missed it on the first go around. My GAWD! That is awesome! Two doors, two fours and four on the floor wrapped in all black.. Absolutely beautiful!
Old January 17th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Banned

Um Chuck I think you posted on the wrong thread...
Old January 17th, 2021, 09:44 AM
Banned

Love this 63. Super cool car.
Old January 17th, 2021, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Kinda glad he did for my sake!😁
Old January 17th, 2021, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I did, thank you