General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trying to I.D. blocking cast #...

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2023, 12:07 AM

Trying to I.D. blocking cast #...

I'm trying to bring a '77 Supreme with a 350 back to life and am having an awful time trying to figure out what year engine a previous owner donated to it. At first, I believed only the carburetor was swapped because the vacuum ports were funky and I tried to figure it out using the casting block #.
55196643A is the # in question and I couldn't find reference to it anywhere. I can only guess that it's out of a '79, but I don't know. I think the Quadrajet is off a Chevy or something on account of the fuel inlet being on the side, but again, it's only a guess. Any insight would be most appreciated, thanks.
Old July 19th, 2023, 05:41 AM

Is the engine definitely an Olds? If yes, what is the casting # above the water pump by the oil fill tube? What is the VIN derivative number stamped into a pad on the block just below the #1 spark plug? There may be a power steering bracket in the way of seeing this #.
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:34 AM

That was the # above the timing chain cover by the oil filler tube, but it's an alternator bracket that's in the way of that other number, and I'll get those ones you mentioned soon. It's factory painted Olds blue, so what else could it be, lol. Thanks. I'll double check that casting code, too. We do live by the ocean, too, so could it be a marine engine?
Old July 19th, 2023, 07:59 AM

Check the head number or letters while you're in there, that gives additional but not certain clues.
Old July 19th, 2023, 09:02 AM

Oops...got it.

After further scrutiny (cleaning the #, putting my glasses on, and not throwing an extra # in), I found my engine to be a '79 or '80 350. The # was actually 554964 3A. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, including my own. It was late and dark, and I'd just got done trying to drop my gas tank but one out of the 2 bolts hadn't been cooperative; threads stripped, so I gotta cut it off this morning and do something with the 10 gallons of crappy gas I got out of it, and at $4.79 a gallon here, it hurts, but there's plenty of weeds to kill on my buddy's gravel driveway. Now I gotta figure out where the hell that carb came from. Thanks again and have an awesome day.
Old July 19th, 2023, 09:07 AM

Also

Please forgive me the "1966" part of the original number I posted; I had a 1966Toronado and I miss that car SO much, I guess I wanted that 4 to be a 1 and it to have that extra six.
Old July 19th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by RollinOlds
... I gotta figure out where the hell that carb came from.
Post the carb number for some help with that.
Old July 19th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Carb I.D.

It's: 17080212...2833 CPW, so it's an '80 off a Chevy something or another, I think. I need one for an Olds; should I get one for a '79/'80 engine, or a '77? I'm confused, but thats normal. Thanks again.
Old July 19th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm trying to bring a '77 Supreme with a 350 back to life and am having an awful time trying to figure out what year engine a previous owner donated to it. At first, I believed only the carburetor was swapped because the vacuum ports were funky and I tried to figure it out using the casting block #.
55196643A is the # in question and I couldn't find reference to it anywhere. I can only guess that it's out of a '79, but I don't know. I think the Quadrajet is off a Chevy or something on account of the fuel inlet being on the side, but again, it's only a guess. Any insight would be most appreciated, thanks.
Any chance you can post a photo of the casting number?
Old July 20th, 2023, 08:51 AM

Carb I.D.

Here's a pic of the carb casting #, and I appreciate any help with it.

Old July 20th, 2023, 08:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Here's a pic of the carb casting #, and I appreciate any help with it.
First of all, that is not a "casting number". It is the stamped carb ID number. Casting numbers are raised and integral to the cast part. Stamped numbers are created after the part is cast. In this case, 17080212 is from a 1980-84 Chevy truck with a 454. Good news is that this is an 800 CFM carb. Bad news is that unless it was properly calibrated for your application, it won't be jetted correctly in the stock configuration.
Old July 20th, 2023, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the info...I'm sure it hasn't been calibrated properly for anything, considering whomever "worked" on this car previously converted a bic pen into a 3-way vacuum line tee, ran flex pipe from the crossover ALL THE WAY to the back bumper parallel to the existing exhaust, and busted the steering column bowl because they lost their keys. On a bright note, I picked it up cheap ($400), it's relatively rust-free (excepting the gas tank), and I now have an Olds again. '77s aren't my favorite year, but it's grown on me and life is just so much better when you have an Olds in it.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 06:35 PM

Okay, I decided to keep this carb (the 17080212) and am about to rebuild it. Can anyone tell me how to configure it or dial it in for my 79 or 80 350? Thanks. Also, will my stock fuel pump be sufficient to run said carb? I do appreciate any and all help.
Old August 23rd, 2023, 07:30 PM

hey back in the mid 80's i bought a 77 cutlass from a guy that brought it in to my dads shop.it wouldn't move.wanted 50 bucks for it so i bought it.pulled the trans and the drive in the front pump was busted.put a pump in it and was good to go.gave it to my sister who drove it thru high school and college.to this day she still says it was the best car she has ever had.