Newb with a '77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM

Newb with a '77 Cutlass Supreme Brougham

I just picked up a '77 Cutlass for only $500. The body and interior are in great shape, but the 350 threw a rod. So I'm planning on throwing in a 383 stroker kit, I'm gonna cam her up and throw a set of heads on her.

Feel free to leave some tips or tricks because I've never worked on this late of a model.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by jimmyboy63
........ I'm planning on throwing in a 383 stroker kit ........
Chev crankshaft will not fit in an Olds engine.

Norm
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Registered Luser

...wrong site!
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to CO. As Norm mentioned, you won't be able to stroke your 350 to 383 cubic inches with a chevy crankshaft. And as ent72olds indicated, we sure hope you aren't going to put a chevy engine in it. I bet someone here could help you with your dilemna to either rebuild your 350 or get you a new block/engine all together. Good find thought to pick up a Cutlass for $500.
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:33 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard.

Sorry I'm a little confused as to what is going on with you car. Tell us the story.
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Welcome to the site. As noted by all the others you have a Olds 350 not the same as a chevy 350. Lots of smart guys on this site and the can give you insite to building that great Olds engine. Just ask some questions to get things started
Old March 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM

Hi all,

Sorry i have not kept this updated at all.

the 383 stroker idea has been sacked. I have a chevy 400BB (disassembled and rusty, but whole) and the stock 350 rocket has a cracked block (as far as i know all other parts are good). I would like to trade both (+cash if necessary) for a complete or near complete 455. If anybody is interested please let me know.

I have been thinking of building the chevy and installing it in my cutlass, purely because of how much a 77 cutlass weighs. I really want the torque of a big block but i really dont want to put a chevy in my olds. But if i dont get any interest in trades for my motors the 400 is getting built and installed. So PLEASE if you have a good rebuild-able olds 455 and are interested in trading let me know.
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:18 PM
delete

Chevy 400 is a small block. They have siamesed cylinders and are known for running very hot. A big block could be a 396 or 402. If it is either of the latter, they are def marketable for some decent coin so you should have no problem selling it. Some pics would identify it at least as a big block or small block. For a nice compromise for your Cutlass look for an Olds 403. It will slide right in in place of the 403 and use all the same pumps & brackets.
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Why don't you just throw in another rocket 350? It's perfectly capable of handling the car. They're easier to find than 455's
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:47 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The 77 up 350 Rockets were weaker, webbed mains and crappy 3A heads. Not as good compared to the 76 and earlier solid main web 350's. Why more didn't opt for the 403 is beyond me. A good 403 is also another option.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM

Knowing where you're located would be a big help.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Why don't you just throw in another rocket 350? It's perfectly capable of handling the car. They're easier to find than 455's

Because I'm not a girl.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM

Im located in northern MI. Ill take some pics of the 400 soon and get the codes from it. maybe one of you could help identify it.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Because I'm not a girl.

Now thats funny!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Where were you in '72?

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Now thats funny!
Actually it's sad, sounds like someones trying to compensate for other deficiencies.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 10:48 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

boondocker lol thats funny. If he wants a good rebuildbale 350 olds core i have one here near chicago for 150. You can make that 350 olds shut down the chevy boys i do it all day on the street. My dads 77 2dr. pontiac bonneville originally 403 powered now has one of my old 350's and for a car that wheighs as much as a small ship and with a 2.56 gear that thing moves.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:49 PM

Sorry everybody but im not putting a 350 in it. Its just not happening.

like i said. im not a girl.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by boondocker
Actually it's sad, sounds like someones trying to compensate for other deficiencies.

Sounds to me like somebody is afraid of getting their doors blown off.

hehe!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Speaking of getting there doors blown off when you get your car running bring down this way . Should be well into the 12's on my lil 350
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM

*raises hand* im not messin with coppercutlass' SBOs LOL

Id agree with the 403 idea, they have a larger bore than the 455 and ive heard headers, a cam, and some 5 or 7 small block heads they'll make an awesome street motor on the cheap. I have some 455 parts here if youre interested, just J head stuff i have left over, pretty much everything but the crank. Pretty low compression stuff but it can be built for great street/strip capability

Nice crack about the 350 btw xD excuse those who dont know how to take a joke
(ironicly i made this same joke a couple nights ago at FedEx when i almost got smooshed between two fully loaded AMJs, they asked me why i didnt move and i responded with... xD)

PS: Value-wise you should have no problem whatsoever trading that Chevy 400 for an Olds 455 in similar condition

Last edited by Vega; March 3rd, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Because I'm not a girl.
To each their own. My 72 has a fine 350 that balances power nicely. Could make it into a stroker if I wanted I guess. Still thinking of a 455 if I can find one for the right price in decent shape. Still lookin.....
Love,
Joanne...
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

To each their own. My 72 has a fine 350 that balances power nicely. Could make it into a stroker if I wanted I guess. Still thinking of a 455 if I can find one for the right price in decent shape. Still lookin.....
Love,
Joanne...
What are you lookin for? Theyre rather plentiful around here and for pretty cheap too. Of the 3 ive come across so far i havent had one that needed over bore at all. The only two issues ive run across is one had a spun bearing and another had a broken exhuast valve. There's a guy trying to sell two here right now, complete longblock cores, one Ga head for $400 that spins freely and one J head for $200 that is stuck
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vega
What are you lookin for?
You got the right idea Vega. 455/400
Got an email into a guy about 400 miles away from here. The shipping on motor/tranny from your area to here would make it too expensive. This guy I sent the email to is in one of the drier regions of AB, and he says he has about 20 cars from 67-72 sitting. Needs to make some room....He's got 400's and 425's for sure, but I asked about 455/400. Would like to get one that could at least be a runner to start with. Don't know what the $$ will be, but for some reason up here everyone seems to think their stuff is worth a goldmine. Thanks very much for offering to help. I'll let you know what happens. After last years fiasco with my 455 boat anchor I still haven't given up..
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Where were you in '72?

Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:41 PM
Where were you in '72?

You got the right idea Vega. 455/400
Got an email into a guy about 400 miles away from here. The shipping on motor/tranny from your area to here would make it too expensive. This guy I sent the email to is in one of the drier regions of AB, and he says he has about 20 cars from 67-72 sitting. Needs to make some room....He's got 400's and 425's for sure, but I asked about 455/400. Would like to get one that could at least be a runner to start with. Don't know what the $$ will be, but for some reason up here everyone seems to think their stuff is worth a goldmine. Thanks very much for offering to help. I'll let you know what happens. After last years fiasco with my 455 boat anchor I still haven't given up..
There's lot of 455 stuff up here in Ontario (Kijiji), not sure what the logistics would be though for cross country shipping. i.e http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ356662745
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:45 PM

No problem! Always happy to help. And i know what you mean, its nearly impossible for younger guys to be into muscle/classics these days because of hoarders trying to make bank on their old cars/parts :/ on that note i wish i were wealthy enough to be a Mopar fan xD

jimmyboy, are you looking for a mean street motor? or something more strip oriented? On a street build a stock 455 with a cam swap, headers, and 3.42 or so rear gears will give you a great stoplight warrior. Dont wanna go much past 3.40s though, these motors make torque torque torque and dont rev like chevys. A more strip-oriented build could do with the same plus some higher compression pistons, an intake, and maybe 3.73 gears if you and highways arent on speaking terms
Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

There's lot of 455 stuff up here in Ontario (Kijiji), not sure what the logistics would be though for cross country shipping. i.e http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ356662745
$350 for a stripped block+shipping is pretty steep pricing. I'm sure I can get a running one complete out here for around 400. Last summer I almost bought a complete 76 98 complete for 500. It was in SK and I gave one of our members first dibs to put the 455 in his resto. Never did hear anything back. I was also looking for the combo 455/400. Thanks for the thought though.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Vega
No problem! Always happy to help. And i know what you mean, its nearly impossible for younger guys to be into muscle/classics these days because of hoarders trying to make bank on their old cars/parts :/ on that note i wish i were wealthy enough to be a Mopar fan xD

jimmyboy, are you looking for a mean street motor? or something more strip oriented? On a street build a stock 455 with a cam swap, headers, and 3.42 or so rear gears will give you a great stoplight warrior. Dont wanna go much past 3.40s though, these motors make torque torque torque and dont rev like chevys. A more strip-oriented build could do with the same plus some higher compression pistons, an intake, and maybe 3.73 gears if you and highways arent on speaking terms
Im lookin to make a street car. But a bad son-bitchin street car with loads of torque (i love the smell of tire smoke). Like you said a 455 with a cam and exhaust is what i really want to do. but if i can find a good deal on a 403 ill go with that. Im thinkin 3.83 gears because im really only going to drive it locally. And if i do go on a road trip ill take a few hours and swap the rearend.

Will a 455 bolt up to the stock th-350? if so would it handle the torque?

PS. Going to take some pics of the 400 after i eat dinner and will post them up later.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 09:28 PM

Buick Olds and Pontiac all used the same bellhousing pattern, which is different from Chevy's bellhouse pattern. Any Olds motor will bolt up to a BOP bellhousing (so yes it will bolt up to the TH350), and yes the TH350 will handle it somewhat as long as you dont flog it too hard. My friend had a build 72' 454 Chevelle with .030-over with cam and exhaust and he ran a TH350 just fine, the motor ended up being rebuilt before the tranny and as far as i know theres never been any problems yet. However to be on the safe side with the added torque a 455 will have over a 454 (oh yes, thats what converts most of us to the Olds way of life haha) i would recommend getting a TH400 under it as soon as possible. That high of gear will not like highways or MPG at all but will give you a killer take off if you can hook the tires (which will be quite a chore indeed), and in a G-body it will make for a monster street car. This is pretty much the same build im undertaking at the moment for my 72'. It will be a little heavier and have some milder gears but other than that pretty close.

A few little helpful tips on the 455. When you get a core motor if its not a runner it will most likely have a spun bearing, these motors do not oil well at higher RPMs (remember, they dont rev high like Chevys, they make their power sooner than Chevies and thus run out of steam before Chevys. Now to me thats not a bad thing, just means my motor doesnt have to work as hard to do what the competition's does, but some people just have RPMs on the brain 24/7 haha) Id keep the revs below 5500, maybe 6000 on a stretch. Make some good mods to the oiling system. Open up oil holes, get a good aftermarket oil pump, maybe a bigger pan, lots of people use restricters as well but someone else can explain that better than i can. Also when youre 455 shopping be sure to check the cranks. Olds is really weird in that they usually didnt drill the cranks to be compatible with a 4-speed unless they were going into a vehicle equipped with such. So drilled cranks are rarer and more sought after for those who plan to run 4-speeds. Of course you can always get a non-drilled crank drilled at any machine shop but finding a pre-drilled crank just saves time and money. Also some 73-76 blocks did not have the clutch pivot on the block, another necessity for running a 4-speed. All that isnt important if youre set on running an automatic but its just useful info to know anyways. Good luck on your build! Will be following, and here to help if you get stuck