General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trunk weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

Trunk weatherstripping

Hi Guys!! Have any of you ever used the trunk weatherstripping from our friends at Fusicks?? Just wondering if it is good, or if you all recommend somewhere else? (before I spend half of my gift certificate on it )

I'm told this is an easy job that I can probably do myself, but I'm sure Blue will be happy to help me out, lol! I'll even pull out the old one and clean the channel! So let me know your experiences with this stuff, will ya? Thanks guys!!
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:26 AM

I have had great luck with Steele Rubber http://www.steelerubber.com/
Old August 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM

I got mine from Weatherstrip Special www.weatherstripspecial.com. Prices were better than ive seen elsewhere.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM

Depends on which brand Fusicks sells. Regardless of brand, installation will be easy and straightforward. Clean the channel well, inspect for rust.
Brush in a little POR15 clear if there is some light rust, PORpatch if there is heavier rust with pinholes, replace channel if there are huge holes.

Get some black 3M weatherstrip adhesive and just follow directions. Do about 15" at a time. Start and stop right in the lower center at the latch.

The Metro seal is pretty good - I got one last year for a cutlass to put on my old Pinto - worked great!
I got a crappy off-brand one from Brothers 2 years ago for lady and you have to slam the trunk to get it to close.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:42 AM

I got mine from Fusick, it works great and 4 years later is still like new. Two tips: be very sure you have it installed right as it is oddly shaped and it is a bit difficult to determine "up" from the part that goes into the channel. #2, on some yeaers put the splice offset away from the center at the bottom, not at the latch, per factory spec. in the body service manual. Other years specify the center.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Of course Fusick doesn't make everything, but they try different brands and sell the one that seems to be the best.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM

I've never had a problem with Fusick weatherstripping. Of course, it's actually Soffseal or Steele that you actually get, but it will be good. Just bought some about 2 months ago for my '67 convertible.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM

Don't rule out going down to your local Autozone for something like this. Trunk weatherstripping for a '71 Cutlass is $21.35 for a 16-foot piece. Fusick charges $1.50 per foot and says you need 14 feet, so that would be $21.00. Price is about the same, but you get two extra feet for the Autozone purchase, and you don't have to pay shipping. You do have to pay sales tax, but on this purchase, that would be about $1.50. You certainly would pay more than that in shipping. Plus, you'll get it faster. The Autozone site says that it has to be "special ordered," which means typically waiting a day, in my experience.

Nothing wrong with Fusick, as I said above. But, something like this, which is a fairly generic thing, can be gotten lots of places.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Cutlass Lover

......it is oddly shaped and it is a bit difficult to determine "up" from the part that goes into the channel.

See..... that's what worries me about doing it myself. I know I'll get confused. Do you put that black adhesive stuff all around the channel too? I will call Autozone and see what they have to say - I didn't know you could get it at a regular parts house for the old cars.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I will call Autozone and see what they have to say - I didn't know you could get it at a regular parts house for the old cars.
You'd be surprised the number of parts you can get there and at other parts stores. Always worth a look. The Autozone website is nice because you can create an account and keep your cars listed. (I'm sure you can at other parts store websites, too.) When you need a part, you select the car you want it for first and then search.

When I need something and they have it, I'll usually visit their website first, get a list of their part numbers and prices, and then walk into the store with this in hand. They usually like to look it up themselves, anyway, which is fine, but the purchase goes much faster as I've already decided which of the, say, five options for spark plug wires I want.

I've done this with NAPA's site, too.

Another advantage of buying from a local store is that, if there is any problem (wrong part, defective part), you can take it right back for an exchange or refund. You can do this on the online sites, too, but when done locally, you've been to the store and are back home again with the right part in half an hour. With online ordering, it's probably a week.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 30th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM

The local camaro shop sells it for 15 bucks, as this fits the camaro also...
This is where I got my metro A-body trunk seal that I used on the Pinto...
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Registered

Eek.

There's a northern hemisphere seal and a southern hemisphere seal so up can be difficult to determine.
You put it on backwards and the rain will fall up into the trunk and flood it.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Cutlass Lover

Oh for God's sake......
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM
doc

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Eek.

There's a northern hemisphere seal and a southern hemisphere seal so up can be difficult to determine.
You put it on backwards and the rain will fall up into the trunk and flood it.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Here---one pic to guide you on the orientation of the strip in the channel:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2020.JPG (34.7 KB, 66 views)
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:49 PM

The biggest pain was cleaning out the channel of the old material, it was time consuming. I used a solvent specifically for this (can't remember the name off the top of my head). Lay old towels or an old sheet in the trunk to help catch all of the crud, to make cleanup easier, and a stiff nylon brush to help get it out. If you can find a narrow plastic putty knife, that will work too, and keep from scratching the paint from the channel area.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:56 PM

You may have used 3M Adhesive Remover solvent. Yeah, it's a mess as the old glue doesn't peel right off. It just comes off a little bit at a time. Good idea on the brush...rags don't work very fast with that stuff.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:03 PM

Plastic putty knife for sure. You can even use a flathead screw driver that works quite nicely if you dont mind the paint.. be gentle? I just did all the weathstripping on my 71 supreme. Its actually relatively easy.. I was kind of nervous going into it as well, but you get the hang of it quickly. Instead of using the tube to squirt it in the channel, put it on your fingertips (wear gloves) and spread the weatherstrip adhesive on both the channel and the weathstripping. Do small areas (2 feet) at a time. It saves from a sticky mess....

Got my weatherstripping on good ol' ebay
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Here---one pic to guide you on the orientation of the strip in the channel:
That's the way to do it!

Toilets fit in those same catagories. Ones that swirl CW, and the others CCW.
Of course if you are right on the equator, neither work - the water just sits there...
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Cutlass Lover

Thanks for the tips guys. So Blue..... you know what you're doin now, lol??
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
That's the way to do it!

Toilets fit in those same catagories. Ones that swirl CW, and the others CCW.
Of course if you are right on the equator, neither work - the water just sits there...
What do you do with your dead goldfish if your toilet is on the equator?

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Thanks for the tips guys. So Blue..... you know what you're doin now, lol??
If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be typing this.
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Cutlass Lover

You're funny!!!!
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM

What do you do with your dead goldfish if your toilet is on the equator?
Fish fry.