'71 convertible weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old June 19th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

'71 convertible weatherstripping?

Anyone know where I can get instructions or a good diagram detailing how to install replacement weatherstripping on a 71 'vert? I got a kit from Fusick or BAP (can't recall which) and it came with no instructions. As the old weatherstripping is all gone, I can't use it for a pattern on installing the new, and while I can figure out roughly where the pieces go, it's not intuitively obvious how they orient and where they attach. It looks like some attach to the sides of the convertible frame, while others attach to the bottom, and some overlap while others don't etc. Can anyone help?
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Bump?
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Omicron
Anyone know where I can get instructions or a good diagram detailing how to install replacement weatherstripping on a 71 'vert?
The Fisher Body Manual for your year will have this info.
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Best way is to look at the originals (which you are lacking), or another car that has it all intact. Next best thing maybe are closeup pictures of a car that has them all installed right.
If you cannot find anything, I could send you some pics of my 72, as it should be similar enough.
I take it this is the 7 piece kit for the top only?
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Fisher Body Manual for your year will have this info.
Cool. Anyone happen to have said manual, and be willing to copy the applicable pages for me?
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Best way is to look at the originals (which you are lacking), or another car that has it all intact. Next best thing maybe are closeup pictures of a car that has them all installed right.
If you cannot find anything, I could send you some pics of my 72, as it should be similar enough.
I take it this is the 7 piece kit for the top only?
Pictures of yours would be AWESOME, and just what I need. I'll PM you my email address. THANKS!!!
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I will get some high resolution shots of mine and describe what could have been done better. My set was put on by the previous owner.
Is it just the seven piece top seal set?
Does your conv top frame have screw holes in it? Is so that will help also.
I should have the pics this evening.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I will get some high resolution shots of mine and describe what could have been done better. My set was put on by the previous owner.
Is it just the seven piece top seal set?
Does your conv top frame have screw holes in it? Is so that will help also.
I should have the pics this evening.
I have the 7 piece set. And while what looks to be the header seal (where the convertible top meets top edge of the windshield) has little "nubbies" on it, obviously intended to fit into corresponding holes, at first pass I didn't see the holes they should fit into. That's one of the things that stopped me from installing them. Beyond the 7 piece set, I also have a tube of weatherstripping glue, so I should be good to go installing them once I know how they go on.

THANKS!
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:14 AM

There should be screw holes on the side of the conv top frame, as the side pieces are installed with screws only (at least they were on mine.)
Is your top frame new??
The header seal should have the plastic fasteners.

Could you post a picture of what your weatherstrip set looks like? That way i can compare them to mine later today.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM

I searched through the body manual and I was surprised to find NOTHING about folding top weatherstrip. Therefore I took some measurements (in inches) and photos showing ~about~ where the 7 pieces go and decided to post some of it here. The pics came from my 72, which was re-topped last year by the previous owner.

I took pics only of the left side as the right should be similar, just opposite. Since all cars may have slightly different top adjustments, this should be a guide ONLY to get you started.
I suggest getting some rubber cement (such as that stuff used to attach plastic credit cards to its paperwork) or even tape so you can peel and stick the pieces and get everything lined up before you drill holes. ALSO, make sure your windows are in proper alignment before drilling holes. This reason and some others caused the previous owner of Lady to not get her seals just right. It is okay for now I guess.
The only cement used on my seals was at the ends of the header strip. The plastic fittings poke into holes in the header frame to hold the rest. The other 6 side pieces use 3 self-drilling screws each. If a slight error is made, it is possiblr to cut the hole in the seal part a little bit but not much.
Be patient and it should turn out well.

The sloppy drawing gives the more precise measurements of only the rubber seals and overlaps, as the camera flaws the perspectives. Use the written measurements to get you started. They were taken with the top half way so the overlaps can be seen easier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1-front_7240.jpg (48.5 KB, 36 views)
2-middle-7236.jpg (48.7 KB, 26 views)
3-rear_7238.jpg (52.8 KB, 36 views)
4-measurements_7241.jpg (27.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 25th, 2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Additional pictures

Here are some pictures of the final installation.
The flaws I have are more in the top's adjustment. I guess if it stretches a bit more over time, the gap in front should close and maybe the seals over the rear quarter window will come lower. Window adjustment failed me on that.
Attached Images
header_7220.jpg (43.8 KB, 34 views)
front final_7217.jpg (41.6 KB, 23 views)
rear-final_7218.jpg (41.9 KB, 23 views)
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Although I said it in PM, I want to say it again here: I can't thank you enough for posting these up, Rob! It's helpful members like you who make this a great site!
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Thanks, Paul - Glad to have been able to help you out!
Did you get it all attached now?
I am still amazed that the body manual did not have any of that info.
One would also have thought that a cheezy diagram like the one I drew up would have came with the new weatherstrip..
Again, glad I could help!