Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

How to Install Window Belt Weatherstripping?

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM

How to Install Window Belt Weatherstripping?

I have a problem. My original rear quarter panel inside belt weatherstripping is attached with staples that go through the metal backing of the belt weather strip and throught the metal of the inside quarter panel side covers. After I remove the old belting how do I attach the new belt weather stripping to the quarter panel covers? I could clamp the belting to the quarter panel and drill through the old staple holes through the belting and insert the old staples and bend them back over. Is this how any of you did this repair?

Thanks
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Randy C.

What you described is exactly what I did. It was a royal pain - somewhat tedious - but it worked! Just take your time!
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
I could clamp the belting to the quarter panel and drill through the old staple holes through the belting and insert the old staples and bend them back over. Is this how any of you did this repair?Thanks
I have not done mine yet. But did your felt striping come with new staples, and/or small screws?? Mine did. And as fare as I can tell that is the way to do it.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post66668 go to permalink #117.
PM Rob he might have photos of the process. Lady72nRob71
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by hamm36
I have not done mine yet. But did your felt striping come with new staples, and/or small screws?? Mine did. And as fare as I can tell that is the way to do it.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post66668 go to permalink #117.
PM Rob he might have photos of the process. Lady72nRob71
I got the "Repops" brand felt kit and the new felts had holes predrilled in them. I held them on the quarter panel and drilled new holes in the quarter panel top rail, as mine (a 1972) were plastic and easy to drill.
Once the included staples were pushed through, i crimped them over with pliers and a brass nut as a backup.
Yes, see the end of page 3 of my interior makeover thread (mentioned above), as i detailed it and included a picture how to crimp the staples.
Hope this helps - it is not as bad as it sounds...
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM

I just finished mine last week. I also used the Repops and as mentioned it is slow and tedious. My panels are the originals and are metal. I went through about half a dozen 1/16 drill bits while making new holes. Helps to use a set of needle nose vise grips to hold into position while drilling. The rear panels were the most difficult due to the curvature of the panel, this is where the vise grips come in handy. Not sure if with your 69 vert this will be an issue.
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I see what I have to do now. I didn't get new staples with my felts so I will be careful takeing the old ones out so I can reuse them. I have the quarter panels out and on my bench so I can work on them and take my time. I do have various pieces of brass I can use as backup and I have a good assortment of vice grips. I am going to try and do this today and will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks
Old April 19th, 2009, 06:51 AM

The repops brand kit should have come with staples, screws, and a tiny special carbide drill bit. I will need this to do the inner front felt.
I am guessing the 69 rears are metal also. This is very tough metal...
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Well I got a late start on the window belting project yesterday. I had to repair one of my garage doors first where all the hinges broke and it almost fell off the wall. The belting also turned out to be a real pain in the keaster. There was no easy way to do it, but I did develop a procedure and after several hours of tedeious work I think it turned out pretty well. The 69 panels are metal but I didn't have to drill the panels at all. I reused all of the existing staple holes.

Here is my procedure:

1) Carefully pull all the staples by prying them part way open with a screw driver and then straightening and removing with a needle nose pliers.
2) Then cut the new belting with a tin snips and side cutter and trim it to match the old.
3) Next is a difficult step in which you need to bend the belting up to match the curve of the panel. This belting bends to the sides easily, but not up or down. It is like a small beam with a web. After much force and care not to kink it you will manage to get a scroll bent into it.
4) Then use vise grips to hold the piece into place with two needle nose vice grips (one on each end) and some wood under the vice grip tips to prevent damage to the rubber.
5) Next take a small 90 degree pick or something with a sharp point and poke through each existing staple hole and poke into the rubber backing of the belting to mark the hole positions. Roll the pick in a circular motion to mark the spots well.
6) Next remove the belting and drill each staple hole in the belting with a small bit to just match the staple wire size. These holes should line up with the quarter panel staple holes.
7) Next just slightly ream out the original holes in the quarter panel metal with a small straight pick (awl) to allow the staple through the hole easier. They were originally stapled through the metal and the holes are tight.
8) Next straighten the staples with a vice grip and installed them throught the drilled holes in the belting.
9) Then take a small square piece of brass or other metal for backing and hold it over the staple from the outside and vice grip it in place to the quarter panel metal wall to both push the staple all the way in, but also stay off to the side of the staple enough to be able to grab it with a needle nose and bend the staple end over in an arc.
10) Next take a needle nose vice grip and clamp it down on the very end of the staple to finish bending it over and push it into the metal of the panel. Do this to each staple one at a time.

I hope this all makes sense. The job turned out pretty well, but does take patience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
116_1672.jpg (41.3 KB, 50 views)
116_1675.jpg (44.4 KB, 33 views)
116_1678.jpg (78.5 KB, 34 views)
116_1681.jpg (100.3 KB, 37 views)
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Looks like you did a great job. Nice step by step.