General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Trunk weather strip gap?

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2018, 04:41 PM

Trunk weather strip gap?

Has anyone run into this problem? Or is this normal? If so what was your solution on fixing it? I think maybe the metal needs pulled

up towards the seal. Thanks
Old December 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM

Back the camera up to get a better view. Way to close.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
Back the camera up to get a better view. Way to close.

Old December 2nd, 2018, 06:44 PM

Does it line up good along the quarters? You can adjust it to close more if it needs it along the quarters. If not then you will have to pull the metal up. I had an old original paint car that was like that from things being put in the trunk and bending it over the years. I had to get inside the trunk with the lid closed and smack it is spots with a rubber hammer till it was all sealed up. On a repaint it is best to look at this before pulling the car apart.
Old December 2nd, 2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Does it line up good along the quarters? You can adjust it to close more if it needs it along the quarters. If not then you will have to pull the metal up. I had an old original paint car that was like that from things being put in the trunk and bending it over the years. I had to get inside the trunk with the lid closed and smack it is spots with a rubber hammer till it was all sealed up. On a repaint it is best to look at this before pulling the car apart.
I think it lines up nice, was just painted.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I had a similar issue with the 71 convertible - a previous owner pulled a horse trailer with it and I suppose loaded large bags of horse feed into the trunk, which collapsed the center of the vertical panel where the seal installs so that there was a very large gap when the trunk was closed. I "corrected" it by grabbing the seal lip area with both hands and pulling upwards as hard as I could. The center area where the seal installs moved upwards over 1/2" and closed the gap nicely.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I had a similar issue with the 71 convertible - a previous owner pulled a horse trailer with it and I suppose loaded large bags of horse feed into the trunk, which collapsed the center of the vertical panel where the seal installs so that there was a very large gap when the trunk was closed. I "corrected" it by grabbing the seal lip area with both hands and pulling upwards as hard as I could. The center area where the seal installs moved upwards over 1/2" and closed the gap nicely.
I guess that's what I'll have to do then. I'm pretty happy with the alignment on the quarters. Thanks for the input
Old December 3rd, 2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
This is what I done at first. I had to fine tune small spots with the rubber hammer.