General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

trunk carpet in a '71 cutlass supreme???

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:25 AM

trunk carpet in a '71 cutlass supreme???

I know that it is not stock, but I have to admit that it is growing on me. My head tells me to rip it out, burn it, prep the trunk and put down new spatter paint along with the appropriate mat. But D#%m it, the rug does make it easier on our bags and luggage when we go shopping or on trips to the beach!

The one issue that I have is trying to find a replacement for it. The interior of my 71 has a black carpet, and someone put a blue one in the trunk. I have just started searching for a black one to replace it with. But everything that I have been finding is molded carpet for the interior of the car. So far I have not been able to just find a roll of the correct style (and color) that I can use in the trunk.

Any help in this would be appreciated.

Last edited by chip-powell; August 3rd, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:34 AM

I never saw carpet in those trunks but I also like the idea. I bought a "mat" from one of the repop parts suppliers and don't like it. It's sort of weird and stringy looking, like fiberglass mat.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:31 AM

I do not like the repro mats either. They damage easily and fit rather funky.
However if you want more originality, this is the way to go.
I say go ahead and spatter paint the trunk, maybe get the correct mat,and use the rug you have for everyday casual use. When it is showtime, yank out the rug and you're done. I have a layer of packing foam lining the trunk of my car so it will not damage the repro mat. Helps contain sand or other debris also..
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Why not dye your trunk carpet black. Mine is a black carpet type trunk mat, it came with the car so I left it.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:07 AM

"Why not dye your trunk carpet black. Mine is a black carpet type trunk mat, it came with the car so I left it."

What worries me about dying the rug is that it will not take. I'm sure that the quality of the dyes has changed over the years, but I remember eons ago (back when dinosaurs romed the earth) whenever we tried dying rugs that were made with a high percentage of synthetics (as auto carpets are), add to that the heat of a trunk and maybe a little dampness. The next thing you know what ever you have in the trunk is now the same color as the carpet because the dye wore off.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
Administrator

As I am from the same era in time, I have run into that same problem also. Usually the unwanted end result is flaking.