General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Transporting engines

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2012, 01:24 AM

Smile Transporting engines

I am going to send my engine to an engine builder and I need some advice on the best way to package the engine to be able to safely transport it. I think I remember some one talking about a timber mount that they made. which they were going to strap the engine to, but I can't find the thread. Can some one give me some dimensions for a timber mount if possible. I have a 69 442 400ci stock sump.
Thanks for any advice you may have
Cheers
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:58 AM

Ralsy, I made an engine stand out of 2"X12" lumber. I'll get you the dimensions tomorrow...if you can wait that long.
Old July 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Assembled engine, or just a block?

What kind of transport vehicle?

How far away?

Are you taking it yourself, or are you shipping it?

- Eric
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:04 AM

Thanks pilot,waiting is my middle name. All good things take time The whole engine is being transported around 180 miles in the back of a pickup or if your in Australia in the back of a ute. I want it properly secured to prevent any damage and to make it easy to transport.
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:13 AM
MOTORHEAD

For transporting an engine in the back of a pickup I like to use a tire without rim. Works best with the pan on! Center the tire in the bed and lower the engine into the tire. I use ratchet tie down straps to keep things from moving about. Happy Motoring
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1971four4two
For transporting an engine in the back of a pickup I like to use a tire without rim. Works best with the pan on! Center the tire in the bed and lower the engine into the tire. I use ratchet tie down straps to keep things from moving about. Happy Motoring
I do the exact same thing. However I think he's taking it on a long trip and doesn't want to take the chance. If I were transporting an engine for a trip that would be a few hours, I would probably build something to carry it.
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the advice four4two but looking for something more substantial. I have lots of spare timber to make something with. I did see a neat pic somewhere on this forum of someones timber engine support. Just can't find it anymore.
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM

I picked my core motor up, set it on a tire, strapped it down, and drove it back 293 miles in the back of a pickup. If you're dealing with a good engine builder, when you go back to get it, he'll have it mounted to a pallet that you can strap down. I've picked up a couple motors for people at BTR and Bill always puts the motors on a pallet.

Of course I took bccan's DX block, heads and 2 cranks to BTR in the trunk of my honda civic (sedan, not a hatchback) and picked up both my rechromed bumpers on the way too

Last edited by allyolds68; July 7th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:22 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

It's a smart idea to secure it good.

Just recently I bought a Toronado 455,the guy used the tire method on a flimsy pallet with some metal banding,the pallet crushed and the motor rolled on it's side.When it arrived to me,the oil pan is smashed in a couple places.Now I'm trying to find a replacement Toro pan.
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:48 AM

Ill make my own pallet some how probably using 4x4 pieces of timber. I tend to go overboard and do more than I have to. But better safe than sorry anyway I'm off to bed now to dream of my engine build as its already 23:55 here. We'll talk again tomorrow. Thanks again for all your imput zzzzzzzzz

Last edited by ralsy; July 7th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've got a 4 foot long piece of treated timber, about 8x8 or 10x10 (I can't recall) that I found somewhere that I keep in the back of my pickup.
Makes a good stop for motorcycle or scooter front wheels, and I've carried engines hundreds of miles with the front half of the oil pan resting on the wood and the rear on the bed (which is covered by a half-inch thick rubber mat).
I just make sure to secure 3 ratchet straps to the motor to keep it where it belongs.

(no, that's not me )

Also, remember to put the engine as far forward in the bed as possible, for optimal road manners, BUT no farther forward than the winch or crane on the RECEIVING end of your trip can reach. It's annoying to be standing there scratching your head, thinking "How the heck do I reach in there with this little engine crane and get it now?!?"

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1035.jpg (86.1 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by MDchanic; July 7th, 2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added photo
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Ralsy,

In the back of one of these! I hear it's dangerous on those roads.
Attached Images
max2.jpg (53.2 KB, 57 views)
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Remember what the engine weighs and secure it well. You never know when someone might ruin your day.... You dont want that puppy hitting you in the back of your head on its way through the windshield...
Old July 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Engine carts are fairly chaep and will hold the weight well while making it easy to move around. Will also come in handy when picking the engine back up and having to move it around the garage a bit. Tie the engine and cart down with tie down straps and go!
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:17 PM

Yeh don't you know that many of us here have a V8 interceptor sitting in the padock just for transporting engines and the occasional homicidal tendancies when we want to hit the road and annihilate a few mongrels
And where's the fun in buying an engine cart. I want that feeling of satisfaction that feeling of accomplishment that you get when you do it yourself. I want to be able to pat myself on the back and say, wow, good job there mate
Old July 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM

The feeling of accomplishment comes when you get your engine to and from the shop with it and your truck in one piece! For the price of the lumber you can get the cart and the straps and be able to reuse both.
Old July 7th, 2012, 05:19 PM

I have a nice home made steel cart that bolts directly to the block on wheels that came with my engine. Nice. However, when I picked mine up from the builder, I used a large tire AND ratchet strapped it down good in the back of my pickup. Worked for me also.
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM

BUY an engine cart?
You'd be surprised how much weight a shopping cart from your local grocery store, with the upper half cut off, can handle!
Just circle the block 'til one 'shows up' on the side of the street!
Common in Chicagoland, and I imagine everywhere else.
Old July 7th, 2012, 07:21 PM

OK. I'll have to Google engine cart. Lets see whats available. This is just to satisfy my curiosity. I still want to make something out of wood Timber is free at my place. I have about 20 years worth of unused timber under the house.
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM

Here is what I did a few years ago. I used 2x4's and bolted them to the front of the heads. At the bottom, I bolted them to a 4x4 and attached the 4x4 to another structure that was laying flat in the bed of the truck which would prevent everything from sliding around. I sat the rear of the engine on the oil pan and it didn't cause any damage. I'm sure you could do something similar on the back of the engine with wood to keep the weight off the pan. If you did, I would cross brace the front to back pieces to keep the assembly front wanting to sway forward/backward or rack. I even built a cart to hold a 69 442 conv body out of wood. Since you have wood, go for it.
Attached Images
Copy of engine loaded up 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 32 views)
4-6 Body on Cart.jpg (45.8 KB, 27 views)
Old July 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM

Now thats getting closer to what I'm talking about. I was thinking supporting the engine along both sides of the oil pan, cross bracing the front and the back. I have a few ideas. I will post pictures when I'm done and you can tell me what you think.
Old July 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ralsy
Thanks for the advice four4two but looking for something more substantial. I have lots of spare timber to make something with. I did see a neat pic somewhere on this forum of someones timber engine support. Just can't find it anymore.
Was this it ?

By 'sklbndt'

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ne-cradle.html

I just brought mine home and decided to invest the $70 in an AllStar cradle...

clicky for big....

I thought about the 'tire method' but since I'd spent some time de-denting, sanding, primering the oil pan AND the shop had graciously painted it, I figured it was cheap insurance. It rode over some stretches of rough roads and never moved.
Old July 14th, 2012, 01:56 AM

You bloody beauty. That's it. Thanks. I'm going for the metal welded one.
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM

I transported a fully built 400 on an engine stand in the back of my brother's 4WD Ford Ranger pickup. He drove it around 100 miles with no problems.

-Jon
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Now thats an idea