General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Today's Trip to a Local Yard

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Today's Trip to a Local Yard

I was at a car show last night and a guy told me there was a 69 vert in a local yard. Turns out there's a lot of stuff at this place.

Last edited by allyolds68; July 28th, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Nice. Too bad the commute would kill me in gas.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Boy, there are some highly useable parts on some of those cars.

How many people could use the front bumper on these two cars? The fenders, etc. on the red one look pretty solid, too:

This is a '71, '72, or '73 98, and its 455 is just sitting right there for the taking. All the work needed to get at it has already been done!

That one wheelcover looks brand new (the tire itself doesn't look too bad, either). I wonder if the other three are there and in the same condition.

Old July 27th, 2013, 12:54 PM

No EGR rules out a 73.....hmmmm.
Old July 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM

The brake booster on that 98 looks brand new. A remanufactured one will set you back $100 plus core charge at the local auto parts store.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:24 PM

I'm going back. Maybe tomorrow. The Delta or Delmont convertible is a 455 with C heads. The 98 had J's. The 67 Cutlass has a 330 with 4's. the 69 vert has the original motor with 5's. Every one of the cars have still have motors in them. The drivers fender on the 69 is decent. The passenger side was not so good. The car looked like the paint was original. The 69 vert still had all the trim except the windshield. Yes, I got the rear 1/4 trim . I also grabbed the rear upper interior panels. The upper metal section is not reproduced for a convertible. Someone here was looking for a rear convertible boot track. It was still there. The upper and lower ash well panels are still there as well. I took them off but didn't buy them because I didn't know how much they were going to charge me. Turns out everything was pretty reasonable so I'm going back. The 69's inner fenders looked mint. The Delta two door has those nice chrome 15" SSIII's. I think they are 4 3/4" pattern. If so I'm grabbing those soon. BTW the 69 bumpers were cores at best. The chrome was peeling. The inner and outer wheel houses were actually in pretty decent shape.

No one has Oldsmobiles around me. The car show I was at Friday night had like 300 cars and I was the only Olds.

Last edited by allyolds68; July 27th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
The Delta or Delmont convertible is a 455 with C heads.
Are you referring to this car?

This can't be a '66 or later full-size as those cars had 1-piece front fenders all the way forward. Here's a '66 Delta 88 convertible:

Here's a '65 Delta 88 convertible from the same angle. Looks like just like the red one in the junkyard, especially the curvature of the rear fender above the wheel and the fact that the forward-most part of the front fender is a separate piece. My guess is that that red one is a '65 full-size of some type. If this is the case, the original engine would have to be a 425.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 27th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:08 PM

It was a 396021. It was a 455. Probably not the original motor. Come to think of it....that one had G heads. Something else had C's and it wasn't the 98. That one definitely had J's. There was at least one other older car there that I didn't get a pic of. That one might have had the C's

I've got to talk to the owner next week. The girl that was there today told me $150 for a motor plus a core charge but she was talking running motors. I'm not paying anywhere near that if they want to sell the 455's

edit: It was a long day. I originally thought the Delta had C's and then cleaned the head off and it was G. I even took a pic of it. But yeah, obviously not the original motor

Last edited by allyolds68; July 27th, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old July 27th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jaunty75
My guess is that that red one is a '65 full-size of some type. If this is the case, the original engine would have to be a 425.
It'd have to be a 425 if it were a '66 or '67, too as they didn't introduce the 455 until 1968.

- Eric
Old July 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM

Awesome finds, despite that I wish there were on the road than in the boneyard....
Could you check to see if the 80's Cutlii have these little trim pieces for the DRIVER side door? Also if they have the rear extended range speakers like the ones pictured in good shape I would buy them. These options are not too common. I am willing to pay for your time and trouble as well. The Delta might have them too.
I appreciate it!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gbodyparts.jpg (44.9 KB, 427 views)
Old July 27th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Nice find! But Hi-jacking your thread!

I went to the yard today. The have lots of older (restorable and complete) cars stashed away, but they have a new fenced area they are bringing some of their hoard up a little at a time. Sad thing is the ones they are bringing in first are parts only as they can't find or don't have titles so they won't sell them. Decent dry 1970 4 door Cutlass...with a 71? 72? front clip. Burt to a crisp 72 also.
Tom
68 442
70 F85
Attached Images
IMG_0519.jpg (28.2 KB, 99 views)
IMG_0518.jpg (29.7 KB, 94 views)
IMG_0521.jpg (35.1 KB, 103 views)
IMG_0522.jpg (36.5 KB, 97 views)
IMG_0525.jpg (32.8 KB, 93 views)
Old July 28th, 2013, 05:57 AM

Great finds and pics guys. Please post some pics on the Junk Yard Dogs thread. It is located on a Sticky to the General Discussion Forum.
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:29 AM

Hey Mike,

The 69 vert also looks like it may have a pretty decent front windshield frame. I've been a bit worried about what I will find under the vinyl trim at the top of mine....
Old July 28th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by drop top olds
The 69 vert also looks like it may have a pretty decent front windshield frame. I've been a bit worried about what I will find under the vinyl trim at the top of mine....
Caution: Though I do not know about the frames, the windshields themselves are different between convertibles and non-convertibles.
You should check with one of our exceptionally knowledgeable members, such as Joe P, before buying.

- Eric
Old July 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by drop top olds
Hey Mike,

I assume you've got a convertible by your username. The 69 is probably the same from 69-72 although it's a major undertaking to replace the window frame. I'll check it the next time I'm there. I'll bet is rusty though. The 69 wasn't in very good shape. The trunk lid may be useable. The convertible header bow was junk. The frame looked like toast. It had a hole behind the driver's side rear wheel. I don't have a battery powered sawzall but I suppose it may be worth cutting the boxed section out one of these days.

I'm really interested in the chrome wheels on the Delta. Does anyone know if they're 5x 4-3/4. I'm fairly sure they are.

Last edited by allyolds68; July 28th, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old July 28th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Registered Luser

I think your guess on the wheels is right. They look like '80's era SS3 's! I also believe that when the 88's downsized in '77, they went to the 5x 4 3/4 pattern.
Old July 28th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tom442
I went to the yard today. The have lots of older (restorable and complete) cars stashed away, but they have a new fenced area they are bringing some of their hoard up a little at a time. Sad thing is the ones they are bringing in first are parts only as they can't find or don't have titles so they won't sell them. Decent dry 1970 4 door Cutlass...with a 71? 72? front clip. Burt to a crisp 72 also.
Tom
68 442
70 F85
Tom, I saw those cars in 2006 when I lived in C.R. I went back a few months later for another look. The same guy that showed them to me said he didn't know what I was talking about, and they don't exist. I said "you showed them to me." Then he said that they are off limits, and not to be sold. There was really clean 69 4 door, and something on that 70 4 door that I wanted, but I don't remember what...

Last edited by MX442; July 28th, 2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:11 AM

I was at a car show last night and a guy told me there was a 69 vert in a local yard. Turns out there's a lot of stuff at this place.

Hey Mike,

Nice find! I'd say the Ninety Eight is a '71 or '72. Do you recall if the trunk lid had the louvers? If so, that's '71, if not, then I'd say '72. It looks like a pretty clean car. It's sad to see it sitting there like that, especially with the frame just hacked off up front!!

It looks like it has a black interior. Do you recall if the steering wheel/column are still there and the condition if they are? I'm looking for a really nice black wheel so let me know if it's in there and the condition if so.

Also, did this one have dual exhaust? If so, those manifolds are on my wish list.

Let me know..thanks!

John

Old August 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM

bump...haven't heard anything back on this post.
Old August 6th, 2013, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
bump...haven't heard anything back on this post.
John,

I apologize for not updating the thread.

I went back this past weekend put only stayed about 2 hours. I pulled a decent driver's side fender off the 69 vert, header bow that someone was interested in, and the antenna assembly. I walked by the 98 and I'm 90% sure it has a crossover manifold on the passenger side so it wouldn't have duals. It definitely had J heads. I plan to spend some time there this weekend so I'll look more closely at the 98. I'm going to pull the rims off the Delta if they are 5"x4-3/4". If I can get to anything else I will.
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM

John,

I apologize for not updating the thread.

I went back this past weekend put only stayed about 2 hours. I pulled a decent driver's side fender off the 69 vert, header bow that someone was interested in, and the antenna assembly. I walked by the 98 and I'm 90% sure it has a crossover manifold on the passenger side so it wouldn't have duals. It definitely had J heads. I plan to spend some time there this weekend so I'll look more closely at the 98. I'm going to pull the rims off the Delta if they are 5"x4-3/4". If I can get to anything else I will.
Hey Mike,

thanks for getting back to me. Do you recall if the 98 had a steering wheel? If so and it's in really nice shape, please grab it but only if it's really nice. If it has a single exhaust, then I have no interest in the manifolds but can't hurt to double check. Feel free to post more pics of the car (and the others) so we can all see what's left to pick from. Is this place reasonable on prices?

Thanks!
John
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Awesome finds, despite that I wish there were on the road than in the boneyard....
Could you check to see if the 80's Cutlii have these little trim pieces for the DRIVER side door? Also if they have the rear extended range speakers like the ones pictured in good shape I would buy them. These options are not too common. I am willing to pay for your time and trouble as well. The Delta might have them too.
I appreciate it!

Rob,

Neither G Body had those door panels. I didn't get into the trunk to see if those speakers were in there. I'll try to check next time
Old August 8th, 2013, 05:59 PM
jfb

I love it and i find old cars in yards to i go a few times a year for the heck of it and try to help out anyone who needs it. very excellent.
Old August 8th, 2013, 06:44 PM

Thanks Mike!!
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM

Hey Mike what dis you end up doing with the 69?

I could use the radiator fan shroud and maybe even the fan blade. if they are good and the yard will let you pick 'em.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by LI Olds
Hey Mike what dis you end up doing with the 69?

I could use the radiator fan shroud and maybe even the fan blade. if they are good and the yard will let you pick 'em.
I went back last week and grabbed a few odds and ends from the 69 and the rims off the Delta. I didn't have time to look at anything else.

The fan shroud is broken at the mounting tab under the passenger side of the top plate. The fan blade may still be there.

It is a pick and pull place. It's a major PIA to get anything big. I took the 4 tires and all my tools out on a hand truck. I'm not sure when I'll be back.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:14 AM

I went back last week and grabbed a few odds and ends from the 69 and the rims off the Delta. I didn't have time to look at anything else.

The fan shroud is broken at the mounting tab under the passenger side of the top plate. The fan blade may still be there.

It is a pick and pull place. It's a major PIA to get anything big. I took the 4 tires and all my tools out on a hand truck. I'm not sure when I'll be back.

I figured as much, no worries.. I would have taken the front bumper too. It looks good in the pictures
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by LI Olds
I figured as much, no worries.. I would have taken the front bumper too. It looks good in the pictures
It's straight but needs to be re-chromed
Old August 15th, 2013, 11:52 AM

Next time you're there, can you take a peek at that microbus in pic 5 and see what sort of condition it's in? I've got someone nagging me for one, but they're rare and costly up here for anything worth even looking at. $5k for one that I wouldn't trust to get my worst enemy over a cliff.
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Are you referring to this car?

This can't be a '66 or later full-size as those cars had 1-piece front fenders all the way forward. Here's a '66 Delta 88 convertible:

Here's a '65 Delta 88 convertible from the same angle. Looks like just like the red one in the junkyard, especially the curvature of the rear fender above the wheel and the fact that the forward-most part of the front fender is a separate piece. My guess is that that red one is a '65 full-size of some type. If this is the case, the original engine would have to be a 425.

Judging by the headlight bucket that red convertible is a 1965 Olds Jetstar or a Starfire

Last edited by Ancient Iron; August 16th, 2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM

Hi, anything further with these yard finds?
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Hi, anything further with these yard finds?
I know it was single exhaust. I'm pretty sure I looked at the steering wheel and it either wasn't in good shape or it was missing. I haven't been back there in a couple months but I'm going to go in the next few weeks.
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:21 PM

I know it was single exhaust. I'm pretty sure I looked at the steering wheel and it either wasn't in good shape or it was missing. I haven't been back there in a couple months but I'm going to go in the next few weeks.
Thanks for the quick reply Mike.

Maybe there will be some new finds when you go back
John