General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tired of the Rat Rod thing

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM

It doesn't bother me a bit. It's personal taste, freedom to choose ones car and the type of look they want. Jmo, Ken
Old November 24th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Registered Luser

I happen to think they are cool, and like them....well, most of them! When a guy takes a nice clean car or truck, and sands through the paint everywhere, and calls it "patina"..... Sorry, that's not cutting it! There is a difference between patina and "forced patina"...
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
The conclusion I draw from that statement is that all car owners should agree with your definition of good.

Its a form of personal expression, just like a tattoo.
You'd be incorrect in the conclusion. Nowhere in this did I ever say that someone had to follow my definition of good. What I did say was that it is silly to spend more money to make something purposefully look bad than less money to make it look good. By "bad" and "good" I refer to car-culture wide judgments on paint quality, chrome, fit and finish, etc, etc. In other words, the things that are judged at car shows by not only the judges, but the general public.

To make an example, if someone had a faded Van Gogh painting, the proper thing to do is restore it, or at least keep it until you can do so in the best way you can. The improper thing is to go all Jack Nicholson with green paint a la the Gotham Museum because "it's personal expression."
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator

But... wasn't it the car culture that created them in the first place?
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

there was the mag wheeled ,side piped, fake supercharger cars in the 70's. The in that same ear there where serious contenders as well. Then in the 80's and 90's there was pro street they looked fast but weren't and there was also guys with the real deal pro street cars that did walk the walk and talk the talk all fads . Now we got pro touring and rat rods. I don't know what rat rods can do. they don't look good they bearly run so what do they represent. It seems there is always 3 kinds of people who are into it. The guys who do all their own work , the guys who pay someone to do their own work and the guys that aspire to be a part of it. Some where in between is where the rat rod guys fall but id rather see a guy with a pro touring chevelle who knows nothing and did nothing to his car besides drive it .,at a local cruise night than some hunk of rust with pin stripes. I built a presentable car back when 19 I was living at home making 8 bucks an hour ! took out a 6k dollar loan at 160 a month to finish it . If I can do it anyone can. This retro crap is an excuse to "protest" against the big dollar builds and a throwback to what was done back in the day but to me it's a sad example of a waste of talent and Detroit iron.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 24th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
But... wasn't it the car culture that created them in the first place?
Exactly my point. Nothing wrong with a car that looks rough because the owner has other priorities. It's the replica rat rods that are the issue.
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Koda I know what your are saying. To elaborate a little bit Guys around here will buy a rusty car slap wheels and and engine and pinstripe it and call it done ! If it's a work in progress then that's cool it usually shows. But someguys just try too hard imo.
Old November 24th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Senior Moment Member

The conclusion I draw from that statement is that all car owners should agree with your definition of good.

Its a form of personal expression, just like a tattoo.
I don't see any old guys (think wise) getting tattoos. They did it when they were young and dumb.
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
You'd be incorrect in the conclusion. Nowhere in this did I ever say that someone had to follow my definition of good. What I did say was that it is silly to spend more money to make something purposefully look bad than less money to make it look good. By "bad" and "good" I refer to car-culture wide judgments on paint quality, chrome, fit and finish, etc, etc. In other words, the things that are judged at car shows by not only the judges, but the general public.

To make an example, if someone had a faded Van Gogh painting, the proper thing to do is restore it, or at least keep it until you can do so in the best way you can. The improper thing is to go all Jack Nicholson with green paint a la the Gotham Museum because "it's personal expression."
I didn't say you said that. Please show me above this post.

You think a car looks bad, owner thinks it looks good. It's only a shame in your eyes. If they followed your definition of good you would have no issue.

Why is it silly to spend money on a car that you think looks bad? Because you think the owner should follow your definition of good and than it wouldn't be silly.

I've been to plenty of car kulture car shows where the general public there appreciate the personal expression of rat rods.

Van Gogh would be a 1 of 1. I'd love to see a 1 of 1 cut up for a rat rod.
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I don't see any old guys (think wise) getting tattoos. They did it when they were young and dumb.
Why do old/older people get tattoos?
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Senior Moment Member

When is the last time anybody you know over 50 got a fresh one? None of my friends have them. Not one tat in the bunch. None on my kids either. I think they trash a great piece of art.
Old November 25th, 2013, 12:15 AM

I didn't say you said that. Please show me above this post.

You think a car looks bad, owner thinks it looks good. It's only a shame in your eyes. If they followed your definition of good you would have no issue.

Why is it silly to spend money on a car that you think looks bad? Because you think the owner should follow your definition of good and than it wouldn't be silly.

I've been to plenty of car kulture car shows where the general public there appreciate the personal expression of rat rods.

Van Gogh would be a 1 of 1. I'd love to see a 1 of 1 cut up for a rat rod.
"The conclusion I draw from that statement is that all car owners should agree with your definition of good."

Unless you're an attorney, the differences between "You said that X" and "The conclusion that I draw from your statement is X" is so miniscule that it is really poor form to bring it up.

The point you are missing is that I am simply expressing an attitude shared by many, if not the majority, of the car culture (and that's spelled with C, Coolio) that aren't into spending tons of money to make a car look cheap or unfinished in perpetuity. While it is my opinion, it is one enjoyed by many, including most people on this thread. So, while you're welcome to disagree, you can cease with the implications that I insist that everything must be my way, or it is wrong. Simple proof of that: I don't care for Lincolns; I'll never own one. The people who own Lincolns are not wrong because I don't agree with them. I hope you understand.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:16 AM

I know how culture is spelled.

Calling me Coolio? Seriously you want to resort to name calling?

I can't have a discussion with someone who needs resort to name calling to compensate for inability to consistently and coherently articulate a pov.

I didn't miss your point. You missed mine.

I won't be back, name calling is for the school yard.
Old November 25th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Ben

Rat Rods? Flat Black Paint? Engines and parts from other cars installed? People enjoying something that you don't?

Its ok you're safe here, Thank god we're on an Oldsmobile site.

Now lets get back to discussing the value impact of a non-stock repaint on a 1972 cutlass supreme with a 350/2bbl-
And even more pressing- we need to discuss how we are going to afford to purchase every single car that someone has posted about swapping a LS or Chevy motor into- because dammit they should sell their stuff rather than do what they want to their own car.

Sorry... Lack of sleep and general irritation with the narrow mindset of many on this site motivated this reply.

A show car with bad paint says that you're either too lazy or broke to get it repainted. People drive around in high school with busted up cars not because they're James Deans, but because they're poor and the cars are cheap.

Put the right parts, of the right year, on the right brand of cars, get a paint job, and, while you're at it, can the doo wop and kick the crying dolls off the bumper. The car show world will be a better place.

Sorry, lack of sleep, along with general grumpiness, motivated this post.
-Koda.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:35 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
__________________________________________________ ____
Amen to that Joe. I am sick and tired of looking for 46-48 Oldsmobile parts and having to sort through chrome mirrors, chrome headlight eyebrows, endless listings of 6V headlight bulbs and on and on and on...Stuff that could fit anything. I've even run into stuff for much newer Oldsmobiles that says "Fits 47 Oldsmobile" B.S. It never did and never will. eBay needs a category that it titled "Chrome Crap that fits Everything" and, 6 or 12 V. bulbs that will fit darn near anything need to be listed as auto bulbs, not Oldsmobile Parts.
Thanks for opening my Rant Floodgate. I'm giving eBay four "Mad as Hell" badges
Jerry
ps. I always look on Classic Olds first. I know my local pic-n-pulls so well that I know they don't have those few parts I still need for my 47.
lol that was funny about the chrome crap....and true....dont forget those tin signs also
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM

I won't be back
Awesome.
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM

I still get upset when I see twin stripes on the trunk of a Cutlass! I personally like the rat rod thing with the 20's, 30's and 40's cars but not beyond that. My first street rod was a 34 Dodge pick-up, with a Datsun chassis, 27 Chevy front fenders, 36 Ford rear fenders, 318 with a torqueflite tranny and an 8 3/4 rearend! Started with a 1 1/2 ton truck I pulled out of a field. The Boyd craze destroyed the hobby. It became all about dollars and the fun stopped! I think the rat rod guys have the right idea with the 20's 30's, 40's cars. I do draw the line with the classic muscle and junk being called rat! I agree that is just JUNK! Please don't do that to nice restorable cars! My 68 Cutlass will be without new paint for a while but it will NOT be a rat rod!
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

and, while you're at it, can the doo wop and kick the crying dolls off the bumper. The car show world will be a better place.

Sorry, lack of sleep, along with general grumpiness, motivated this post.
-Koda.
What the hell is with those dolls around those cars anyway??? Who dreamt that up?
Rat rods are sucky - I agree. General grumpiness is standard my brother...
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Not cool

Old November 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM

this is cool
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Registered Luser

I don't see the difference? and the second pic has that "fake patina" with the sand thru's everywhere.......
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Not fond of the first one, however the second one is awesome Copper. The second one is a true period correct hot rod.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM

I did notice the fake patina but look at the frame it's painted there is quality there that's what I'm looking at. I had a hard time posting it because of the fake patina but it can be overlooked based on the quality. I would paint it that's all I would do diffrent. Id rather see a little fake patina like the second one. That sanded steel watered up to rust up. I hate that.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 25th, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old November 26th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Moment Member

Bleck!
Old November 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM

The cure for the rat rod can be found, by the way. It happens once a year at Newport, Indiana. They call it the Antique Auto Hill Climb. To compete in the main classes, you must run a 1942 or older vehicle that is original. There's a modified Model T class, but other than that, it must be rather stock. They do have a 1955 and older discontinued makes class from pre 1970 discontinued makes, like Auburn and Hudson and the like.

It's one thing to see the cars in a museum or off a trailer at a show. I've had the privilege to be hit by the steam cloud from a 1906 Stanley Steamer as the driver dropped the hammer and ran the hill. It's a half mile run from a dead stop at the Vermillion County courthouse start line, out of town, up the hill, and across the line. Record is something like 22.5 seconds.

It's like nothing I've seen elsewhere.
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM

Koda,
I've been to Newport several times & it is an amazing event for sure! Have you ever heard about some people racing big wheels down the hill at midnight?
Old November 26th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Senior Moment Member

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Koda,
I've been to Newport several times & it is an amazing event for sure! Have you ever heard about some people racing big wheels down the hill at midnight?
These were undoubtedly powered by Old Style!
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:17 AM

Koda,
Negative, sir. I have not heard that. However, I am not surprised, I imagine it gets a little boring at night there. I do appreciate that none of the vendors do beer though, not that I don't drink, but it's nice to not have public drunkenness going on.

Since my Olds is in project stage, I normally take my grad school buddy from years ago and his wife in my 72 Monte Carlo to the car show attached to it. She'd drive her H/O (she's crazy about those, even to the point of being the HOCA president), but 84 is too new for the 75 and older side car show. I did email and ask for allowing ten more years for her and others, but they sent me a nice note saying space is a big issue and that's why.

We normally just go Saturday for the day. I'd love to get an old LaSalle or a Graham-Paige and run the hill with it.
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM

And I don't doubt the Old Style power.
Old November 27th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Koda,
I know it's hard to believe, but the downhill big wheel race was thought up while we were under the influence of alcohol. They have a kids big wheel race during the day near the starting line & it's a cute, short little race. One night we decided to "borrow" the kids big wheels to race down the hill. For those that don't know, the hill raises something like 132 feet in about a quarter mile. The cars race up the very steep 2 lane road. The first year, most of the kids plastic big wheels suffered broken front wheels or rear wheels due to the down hill speed & weight of adults.
So shortly after that, we ordered adult sized steel frame, rubber tired, big wheels off the internet & the next year we were really competitive. Our only rules were you had to wear a helmet.
We have done this for several years & once had a local cop give us a ride to the top & clocked our speed at the bottom at 32 mph. It is a very scary/dangerous ride, but is lots of fun also.
One year my now ex wife went off the "race course" & ended up breaking her collar bone & tibia. Other than that little incident, we've been crash free.

The whole weekend is a must attend event with plenty of flea market type stuff, great car show, amazing old cars & motorcycles racing up the hill, & plenty of people watching.
I was there the year that Stanley Steamer ran the hill & it was impressive for sure.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:18 PM

rat rods

Originally Posted by Kennybill
It doesn't bother me a bit. It's personal taste, freedom to choose ones car and the type of look they want. Jmo, Ken
exactly,after all some people think mustangs are cool!
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Senior Moment Member

Koda,
I know it's hard to believe, but the downhill big wheel race was thought up while we were under the influence of alcohol. They have a kids big wheel race during the day near the starting line & it's a cute, short little race. One night we decided to "borrow" the kids big wheels to race down the hill. For those that don't know, the hill raises something like 132 feet in about a quarter mile. The cars race up the very steep 2 lane road. The first year, most of the kids plastic big wheels suffered broken front wheels or rear wheels due to the down hill speed & weight of adults.
So shortly after that, we ordered adult sized steel frame, rubber tired, big wheels off the internet & the next year we were really competitive. Our only rules were you had to wear a helmet.
We have done this for several years & once had a local cop give us a ride to the top & clocked our speed at the bottom at 32 mph. It is a very scary/dangerous ride, but is lots of fun also.
One year my now ex wife went off the "race course" & ended up breaking her collar bone & tibia. Other than that little incident, we've been crash free.

The whole weekend is a must attend event with plenty of flea market type stuff, great car show, amazing old cars & motorcycles racing up the hill, & plenty of people watching.
I was there the year that Stanley Steamer ran the hill & it was impressive for sure.
What happened to your ex? Was she putting her makeup on or was it the cell phone?
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:57 PM
car guy

Some of you are confusing rat rods and traditional hot rods in this thread. Copper made the best example above. That one looks built pretty nice but most rat rods are pieced together with anything and everything piles of crap.

I hate the fake patina but the second car is a great example of a period hot rod and looks killer.
Old November 28th, 2013, 01:47 PM

My personal preference is well maintained cars with original powertrains. Sometimes, though, the original plant is dead, or gone, or pathetic. I can understand the desire to replace a 6 cyl engine in an A body. For those reasons, I can support, though not necessarily agree with for myself, upgrading an old car with performance parts to make it more powerful, more drivable, and more fun. Those are hot rods, and they can be done very tastefully and well, and my only request to them is to please hold on to the original powertrain if it was there when they started and not sell it.

However, Mr. Gearhead in the post above me has described the rat rod very well, and I will agree with him that it is a different animal indeed.

On another note, I've seen and used cut up budget cars that have been set up to go fast and still look ugly. I think the budget drag car focuses on performance and it just looks how it looks, whereas the rat rod tries to copy that look of ugly performance and focuses on the wrong things and gets busted as a fake.

They're kind of like those hipsters you see around today. They try so hard to dress like they don't care at all about fashion, but you know they just spend hours trying to be in front of the latest trends.
Old November 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM

My car is a budget drag car front to back. I think I would make some people cry if they knew what I have in it all together. I technically finished this car back in 2009 it has gone through a few engines , one accident, 3 sets of wheels, and all kind of other changes . It already has it's share of battle scars and well earned patina a car that is driven hard will show.

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 28th, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old November 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
"Car"mudgeon

My $.02 is rat rods as in cobbled and hacked together cars held together with shoddy welds and various parts not intended for steering components or other vital parts is plain ugly and dangerous to not only the operator and other people that share the road.

Personally I hope this fad dies out soon. I own a hot rod '35 Dodge Coupe, although not 100% period correct due to independent front suspension instead of a straight front axle. I am offended when someone says they "like my rat rod" I reply "thanks but there is nothing ratty about it."
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:13 PM

I think Richard's 54 would make a great looking rat rod! Paint the wheels red, clear coat the body and add a set of wide whites it would look awesome. However the sketches of what he has planned for it are even more awesome!
There is a definite difference between a traditional hot rod and a Rat Rod as Copper illustrated. I am not much on the Rat Rod thing either but it takes all kinds to make the world go around. I get a chuckle out of some of these things at shows. Let them be different!